• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (12 Viewers)

Although the photo shows blue Skies, today was windy up North and birds were still hunkered down. No sign of the Spoonbills reported yesterday. 80 Flamingos at S’Albuferata and many Great white and Little Egrets.
Maristany was the best site visited ( I’m so pleased about an escapee Swan!). House Martin amongst the Crag Martins, Great Crested Grebe, Marsh Harriers, Shellduck, Shoverlers, Glossy Ibis, Purple Swamphen, Red Crested Pochards etc. etc.
A Ferriginous Duck was reported but not seen.
This is an exceptional site.

Attachments

• 39338848_Unknown.jpeg
    39338848_Unknown.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 39338880_Unknown.jpeg
    39338880_Unknown.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 39338992_Unknown.jpeg
    39338992_Unknown.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 39338976_Unknown.jpeg
    39338976_Unknown.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 39339072_Unknown.jpeg
    39339072_Unknown.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 39339088_Unknown.jpeg
    39339088_Unknown.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
Nice birds Mike. Several year birds for me there so I’m looking forward to getting back to Mallorca.
I’ve been in south London for a week now and it has rained just about every day. I’ve forgotten what sunshine looks like.
Next stop Shrewsbury for a few days so I hope to get to Venus Pool for at least some birding.
Then home.
Thanks for keeping the forum going everyone, I now know how valuable it is for many Mallorca aficionados when they are not on the Island.
Mike

Took a trip up to Montrix and managed to see two Bonnellis one of them was attack by a Perigrine when it came to close to a certain area Peregrine breeding? Unfortunately long distances but manage to take some photos.

Black vulture 5
I suppose it`s rare on Mallorca but I heard three sounds from a possible Nutchat between the vineyard houses on the left side when you enter Montrix. Could it be a bird or something else with similar sound?

In the vineyards and surronding a huge amount of Black redstarts together with Song trush, Blackbird, Great tit 1, a pair of Blackcap. Stonechat 1 ,Serins, Greenfinches, etc.

On the way back stop at Cuber nothing interesting but about 1 kilometer further approx 10 Griffon and 2 Raven was seen from the road.

Attachments

• DSC037661.JPG
    DSC037661.JPG
    682.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC037791.JPG
    DSC037791.JPG
    742.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC038041.JPG
    DSC038041.JPG
    782.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC038471.JPG
    DSC038471.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi H Johnsson
Sorry, I forgot your first name.
Nuthatch is extremely unlikely, I don’t know of any record at all in Mallorca.
I’m just trying to think what else it could have been.
I will play some recordings and see what I can come up with.
Anyone else is very welcome to have a go!
Mike

Interesting day in north Majorca. Started at the S’Albuferata seeing the Bluethroat in a bush beneath the tower platform. Fairly quiet from the hide though.
Moved on to the S’Albufera. Really quiet people wise but great place to be in the calm (almost windless!) and sunny weather. Drake garganey was located at Ciboller 2. 3 KPs were the only small waders on view. 4 tufted ducks at Aguiat de sea Pardes were the pick of the wildfowl on the reserve.

A first for me was walking to the Colombars 2 hide! On a scrape just beyond the no entry sign was a flock of 15+ Greenshank and 2 Redshank but again no small waders.

Moved on to the Depuradora. On driving away a flock of at least 10 tree sparrows (almost certainly more) were with goldfinches about 100yds away from the single parking spot in field with 2 brown horses. Didn’t stop long as there are large lorries moving to and fro to the sewage works!

3 sandwich terns at Estany des Ponts were a Mallorcan tick for me.

Y/day I bumped into the Mallorcan birding ‘top guns’: Biel, Carlos, Daniel and Josep which was a privilege and pleasure. Really interesting and helpful! These guys were cleaning up on everything in the north and in the process found a ferruginous drake at Maristany whilst I was there. Top stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi H Johnsson
Mike
First name is Håkan and I wasn`t aware it was so rare in Mallorca.

Hi H Johnsson
Mike

This was the call I heard but a bit slower interval and only three times

XC795302 Eurasian Nuthatch (Sitta europaea)

Mallorca is full of great sites to visit. My friend wanted to see the east of the Island so we headed to Arta and to the Far de Capdepera.
Arta is a great Town and The Talaiots in Arta ( ses Paisses) are interesting and worth a visit.

The view from the lighthouse towards Minorca is awesome.

Regarding birds, so many Serins, Goldfinches, Black Redstarts, Chaffinches, Chiffchaffs, etc. seen around the ruins.
Several Red Kites and Booted Eagles overhead and even Osprey nearby.

Around the lighthouse several Yellow legged Gulls and Audouins Gulls, as well as 2 Gannets plus a flotilla of Balearic Shearwaters seen.

A quick stop at Maristany on the wayback, added Great Crested Grebe, Red crested and Common Pochard, Marsh Harrier, etc.

Even with a non birding day, the island delivers!

Attachments

• IMG_9018.jpeg
    IMG_9018.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9017.jpeg
    IMG_9017.jpeg
    742.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9014.jpeg
    IMG_9014.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9015.jpeg
    IMG_9015.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9012.jpeg
    IMG_9012.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9020.jpeg
    IMG_9020.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi H Johnsson
Mike
Hi Hakan,

As Mike says, Nuthatch is an unlikely species for Mallorca. My late friend Pete used to say that if you heard a strange call it was probably a great tit. I once spent a long time at Son Real trying to track down a calling coal tit. I was really convinced about the call, but eventually it turned out to be a great tit.

I like to think that that says more about the variety of great tit calls than my birding skill, but you never know..

Stew

Hi Hakan,

As Mike says, Nuthatch is an unlikely species for Mallorca. My late friend Pete used to say that if you heard a strange call it was probably a great tit. I once spent a long time at Son Real trying to track down a calling coal tit. I was really convinced about the call, but eventually it turned out to be a great tit.

I like to think that that says more about the variety of great tit calls than my birding skill, but you never know..

Stew
I agree Stew and would add starling also which has fooled me some times. Therefore it´s important to listen during longer time but unfortunately that´s not always the case.

Thanks Håkan and Stew.
I think I read in Bill Oddie’s Little Black Bird Book saying that if you hear a bird and don’t know what it is, it’s probably a Great tit. How true it has often been.
Even with recordings identification can be controversial, like the bird recording a short while back on this forum. Thought by the finder to be an Olivaceous warbler, but others suggested Nightingale, with the majority sticking with Olivaceous.
Speaking of which, I have been complaining about not being able to hear many species any more, notably, the Crests.
I acquired a hearing aid and went out locally. The first bird I heard was a Goldcrest. I have to admit to having a few tears. It was like a new world had opened up.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before.
Vanity I suppose.
Mike

Another interesting day in the field starting at Talaia d’Albercutx. A Cinnerous Vulture flew close and below me giving outstanding views. 2 Balearic Warblers were seen along with numerous Black Redstarts, Robins and surprisingly quite a few Song Thrushes. My long shot hope of finding an Alpine Accentor drew a blank, no surprise there!!

Some careful scoping revealed a raft of Balearic Shearwaters plus others moving from the Cap de Formentor viewpoint despite the distance.

Parc dels Pins yielded a fine firecrest.

The entrance to the Boquer Valley produced lots more Black Redstarts but not the hoped for Cirl Bunting.
The woods at the beginning of the Fisherman’s Walk at Cala Sant Vicenc failed to produce the target birds of wren and dunnock as did a walk at Mortitx for Bonelli’s Eagle. However the number of Black Redstarts here was amazing. It seemed like every other bush had one.

Moving on the entrance to Ternelle’s Valley turned up trumps for vultures with 2 Cinnerous and 4 Griffon. (There may have been more but just reported the max I saw in the air at once!)

At this site I was using the Merlin sound App. Really frustrating as it recorded both Gray Wag and Siskin, both would have been a Mallorcan tick for me. I have reached that age where birds calls have to be fairly close especially the high pitched ones.
Out of interest have other people tried the Merlin App and if so how to you rate it’s accuracy and efficiency?

Hi Mike
A few people commented on Merlín on this forum a short time ago.
Generally, it was agreed that it is a nice addition to our birding experiences but it’s far from fool-proof.
I have had some very wonky results around Mallorca. Twice, it has recorded a Hawfinch when I’m fairly certain there were none around.
I got Long-eared owl on the central plain where there was nothing around, just Larks and Pipits.
A Hoopoe was calling constantly but Merlín failed to record it.
Those are a few of my experiences.
I’m sure it will improve with time but I would never rely on it, it’s just an aid and not 100%.
Mike

I totally agree about Great Tits- they can fool you into believing that almost any unknown/rare bird is around. This reminds me that as I came out of church in Northampton ten days ago I heard the distinct call of a Buzzard- scanning the sky I failed to locate the bird but the calls continued. The sound was so near- which was explained when I tracked it down to a nearby TV aerial with a Common Starling doing the most accurate rendition of a Buzzard call that I have heard apart from hearing a real one! The good thing is that real Buzzards are so frequent here now, along with Red Kites- not the case when I started birding in the 1970s, both then being local rarities requiring a description.

Hi Hugh
I well remember Common buzzard being so rare in South London in the 1970’s.
I found one at the sewage farm near where I’m staying now but it met with sceptisism.
It was turned down as an escapee!
I had to go to Devon to get my first ever.
How things have changed.
Those wretched Starlings! They learnt how to imitate perfectly the “Trimphone” of that era. I went indoors to answer the phone so many times, only to find a Starling grinning away on the TV Ariel .
Thanks for the memories.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back