• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (6 Viewers)

As Mike said, yesterday it was reported an American Golden Plover (Pluvialis dominica) at sa Roca hides (PN s'Albufera), as it is a mega rarity here in Mallorca and i was not far away, i went there and when I arrived it was still there.
The light was very bad, with the sun very low and behing the plover, but I tried to get some picture.
A great end of the day for me
Josep

Attachments

• 157 Fuell America.jpg
    157 Fuell America.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 157 FuellAmerica.jpg
    157 FuellAmerica.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
As Mike said, yesterday it was reported an American Golden Plover (Pluvialis dominica) at sa Roca hides (PN s'Albufera), as it is a mega rarity here in Mallorca and i was not far away, i went there and when I arrived it was still there.
The light was very bad, with the sun very low and behing the plover, but I tried to get some picture.
A great end of the day for me
Josep
Just now there is a discussion about been a Pacific golden plover or an American Golden plover.
We will wait for the decission.

After 48 years of marriage, Jane knows me pretty well.
I had agreed that we would go to the gym first thing today, followed by a picnic at Vilafranca.
After a good work-out I got in the car and Jane said, “Right, off to s’Albufera then”.
When I asked why, she said that she couldn’t stand me being in a sulk if I didn’t see it.
I didn’t know I was that bad, but she’s probably right.
I can’t stand the last few miles of going to see a rarity, my heart is thumping and I get sweaty palms. I start to drive a bit faster and I’m silent.
I’m sure I could have been a full-time twitcher if time and money had allowed.
I’m pleased to say the bird was present but there were no birders there. I eventually found it hidden behind vegetation way in the distance. I ran to the next hide but the sun was in the wrong place so I ran back again.
I got a few miserable shots but I await clarification of the true identity. I will post when it becomes available.
I went to Vilafranca on the way home. The picnic was splendid but the Iberian shrike didn’t show in over an hour.
If it is not seen again, then there is always the possibility that it isn’t our returning bird, but a passage migrant.
Time will tell.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7395.jpeg
    DSCN7395.jpeg
    990 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN7452.jpeg
    DSCN7452.jpeg
    911.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN7465.jpeg
    DSCN7465.jpeg
    915.5 KB · Views: 16
I arrived at the Albufera, Sa Roca at 7.30 am this morning hoping to catch sight of a recently reported American Plover. I made my way to the wooden gate overlooking the field which separates the first 2 hides near the visitor centre.
I began scanning the field hoping against hope that the bird was still around; so far this year I`ve dipped on every other reported rarity. But my luck was in, I found it within a few minutes in the grass close to the water`s edge. I quickly took the opportunity to take a distant but definitive photo.
I was elated, what a great feeling. I then went into the new hide, which has good views of the field, and found the Plover again straight away and managed to get some decent photos. Fantastic.
I turned my attention to the rest of the Sa Roca lagoon, there was a good variety of birds showing, much better than my recent visits. I`ve included a few photos.
Apparently, as you will have seen from Mike Montier`s recent posts, The Plover is actually a Pacific Golden Plover which maybe even rarer? I don`t know.
Anyway I`m so pleased that I made the effort this morning.
Cheers
Phil Akers

Attachments

• IMG_3251.JPG
    IMG_3251.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3262.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3246.JPG
    IMG_3246.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3265 (2).JPG
    IMG_3265 (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3033 (1).JPG
    IMG_3033 (1).JPG
    808.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 18
Arrived on the island around lunchtime on the ferry from Menorca (plenty of Scopoli's on the way over). By the time we had got the hire car, checked into our hotel in Pollenca and had a bit of lunch it was about half past four before I got to Albufera. Fortunately the Pacific Golden Plover was still there between the two Sa Roca hides. I got a few photos but nothing to match Phil's above so they will remain record shots. Was also lucky enough to see Purple Swamphen and Red-knobbed Coot, both of which I haven't seen for a good few years.
A very nice selection of waders in good numbers present, notable birds including, but not limited to: Osprey, Flamingo, Stone Curlew, Whimbrel, Kentish Plover, Serin, Green and Wood Sandpipers.
Off to Cuber in the morning, thanks again to all for the quality of information on this thread.

Chris

I saw that local birding friends were at the Cap de Ses Salines this morning so I quickly headed south to say hello.
Apart from Pep, I hadn’t seen the others for ages so it was great to catch up.
I missed the 3 Marsh harriers going out to the south, there were 9 common kestrel, thought to be local birds, as was the Common buzzard.
Needless to say, after I arrived, nothing happened but we enjoyed talking about various locations to go birding.

I also did a seawatch tonight but I certainly didn’t need my clickers, just a couple of Balearic shearwaters and a few Scopoli’s. Not the best time of the year though.

A Red-backed shrike was seen and photographed today from Mortitx. A very scarce species here.
Mike

Anne had a meeting with a fellow artist in Pollença today so I took the opportunity to explore the north of the island a bit more. First I tried La Gola, where I had never been before. A whole new dimension to the word quiet. But at Albufereta the rewards were greater – I went along the Sa Barcassa track and saw large numbers of Flamingoes, around 70 cattle egrets, little egrets, grey and purple heron; barn swallow were still around and I was amused to see a kestrel occupying a lookout in a turnaround of the usual function – the bird looking down on me! I was also witness to a kestrel and marsh harrier skirmishing in the sky and then from the hide I was able to make out common and green sandpiper. And just in time I realised I had to get back to Pollensa to pick up my wife!

Mallorca20230911-22-ORF_DxO-1.jpgMallorca20230911-25-2.jpgMallorca20230911-64-3.jpgMallorca20230911-81-ORF_DxO-4.jpgMallorca20230911-105-ORF_DxO-5.jpg

I was out before breakfast this morning, to Mortitx, hoping to find the recently photographed Red Backed Shrike.
As I walked down the lane, toward the main vineyard, I could hear voices and work noises. I thought `this doesn`t bode well.`
When I got to the vineyard I could see 6 guys, putting in new posts and tidying up the vine wires. No sign of the Shrike, but there were lots of Chaffinches, Gold Crests, Med Flycatchers and Sardinian Warblers. I walked down both sides of the vineyard but I only found more of the aforementioned except for a singular Meadow Pipit perched on a fence showing it`s very long rear claws, quite an early bird I think. Meadow pipits usually appear in October I believe.
I continued to walk up the main path toward the reservoir, carefully scanning the trees for the shrike, no luck. I did however spot a Monarch butterfly which is always a joy to see. At the reservoir there were a couple of Crag Martins, more Med Flycatchers and Rock Doves , but no Raptors.
On the walk back down I found a fairly distant Blue Rock Thrush, lovely bird.
And so back home for breakfast.
Cheers
Phil Akers

Attachments

• IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG
    648 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
    747.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3301 (1).JPG
    IMG_3301 (1).JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 29
Hola. Is there a proper path from the beach at Son Baulo that follows the lagoon inland, along the south east side of the lagoon? The attached map shows a path but I couldn't find it on my last trip. On my last visit from the Necropolis, I crossed the Torrente and followed a good path on the north side of the lagoon but eventually ended up in some nice hotel grounds and a dead end. Then a long trek through a few side roads on to the main road Ma 12, and an even longer trek back to Son Real car park, all in 35c. 😩

Attachments

• IMG_20230911_185858396~2.jpg
    IMG_20230911_185858396~2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Phil, I
I was out before breakfast this morning, to Mortitx, hoping to find the recently photographed Red Backed Shrike.
As I walked down the lane, toward the main vineyard, I could hear voices and work noises. I thought `this doesn`t bode well.`
When I got to the vineyard I could see 6 guys, putting in new posts and tidying up the vine wires. No sign of the Shrike, but there were lots of Chaffinches, Gold Crests, Med Flycatchers and Sardinian Warblers. I walked down both sides of the vineyard but I only found more of the aforementioned except for a singular Meadow Pipit perched on a fence showing it`s very long rear claws, quite an early bird I think. Meadow pipits usually appear in October I believe.
I continued to walk up the main path toward the reservoir, carefully scanning the trees for the shrike, no luck. I did however spot a Monarch butterfly which is always a joy to see. At the reservoir there were a couple of Crag Martins, more Med Flycatchers and Rock Doves , but no Raptors.
On the walk back down I found a fairly distant Blue Rock Thrush, lovely bird.
And so back home for breakfast.
Cheers
Phil Akers
Phil, I think that your pipit is a Tree Pipit!

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back