• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Caperwatch: any sightings this year? (1 Viewer)

I have a suspicion that what they actually do is spread the word around that they have moved the bird but, in reality, do nothing. In this way they hope to reduce pressure from birders. Having said that I believe they moved a lonely female from Bennachie in Aberdeenshire (edge of range) for her own protection. A bird that actively seeks out people for company where dogs are walked is not likely to last long...

Rob

Probably part of problem why so hard to locate .In most places I used to see at least a couple flying birds. People with dogs abound not on leashes and the shrieks and shouts of there owners when the dogs dissappear off the paths must be detrimental to the birds coming near the paths. Although signs up saying to keep on leads. Suppose people will b people like some desperate to see a caper will stray a bit of paths hoping for a better chance . Imo don't believe more people want frame fillers but happy with a sighting .

Living in Aviemore, I see plenty Capers during the winter months when out walking the dog in different forest areas almost always in the trees, at this time of year I take the dog elsewhere, there was a chap photographing a male Caper a couple of years ago in May off the path as he knew where to look, .... while he was being filmed by a RSPB member of staff using his mobile phone, I believe he had a day in court and lost his camera gear and almost lost his car.
Gordon.

Planning permission is currently being sought by ‘An Camas Mòr LLP’ for 1,500 houses to be built next to the Rothiemurchus Estate, in the Cairngorms National Park

An Camas Mor is ON Rothiemuchus estate not next to it, its actually behind the fish farm in birch woodlands, I thought it had already passed planning, but it might have needed to go before the planning board again because of some changes.
Gordon.

I presented myself at so-called Caperwatch this morning bright and early to enquire as to The Truth. Apparently one brief sighting on the 2nd April has been the ONLY one this year. I for one won't be wasting any more mornings going back.

I also learned something else from the staff member present. Apparently if news of a caper gets out and birders start to know where one is, the RSPB catch the bird and move it tens of miles to another part of the species 'range. This isn't an unsubstantiated rumour or hearsay. A uniformed RSPB employee told us about how daunting it was to try to capture birds; when asked why the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birding did this, he gave the answer above.

I always knew the RSPB disliked birders, and does everything it can to prevent us following our hobby (after all, families with screaming kids pay more). I didn't realise they hate us enough to move a declining Schedule 1 bird from its chosen territory, which presumably the bird itself judges suitable, to another area which they guess may contain what a caper requires, if it can manage to get a territory in edgeways...

You fail to mention the persistent (illegal) disturbance and hounding of Capers when news of a rogue bird does get out?? This may well have a bearing on choices made by the conservation bodies don't you think?

Caper watch has been very successful over the years, and even as a guide I have used it many times in spring. Believe it or not, it's actually not the fault of the RSPB that in recent years they've become harder to see.

Last edited:
I have a bit of a problem with this - the main risk to a rogue male caper I would have thought is not birders but dog walkers or others who may injure / kill the bird during an attack.

cheers, alan

As they are included in the Act protecting Sched Ones. no birders/photographers should be approaching them in the breeding season anyway. Ironically dog walkers could claim ignorance (unless there was clear sign) and dogs can't read.... but that's the law. It's not the risk to the bird that matters so much (nature has decided that he's going to meet an untimely end anyway, through pure stupidity)....it;s the increased disturbance to the habitat he's in and nearby birds/leks.

Last edited:
As they are included in the Act protecting Sched Ones. no birders/photographers should be approaching them in the breeding season anyway. Ironically dog walkers could claim ignorance (unless there was clear sign) and dogs can't read.... but that's the law. It's not the risk to the bird that matters so much (nature has decided that he's going to meet an untimely end anyway, through pure stupidity)....it;s the increased disturbance to the habitat he's in and nearby birds/leks.

I am familiar with the provisions of the WCA. As I understand it, ignorance of a law is not an acceptable defence in any area [of law] but I may be wrong (Paul?).

My main concern is the risk to the bird but I guess you think that they are doomed and it doesn't matter - I disagree. A number of rogues have survived a number of seasons and will presumably have contributed towards the survival of the population. One might argue that birds which are more tolerant of disturbance (ie rogues) are more valuable since they reduce effective disturbance distances and expand the theoretical available habitat.

cheers, alan

Back to caperwatch. It's no wonder none seen the forests round about seem like Sunday school jaunts now. There are families and groups everywhere is it time some of these areas were made no go zones

Heard of a Male caper killed by a dog this week in the woods around Aviemore, f___ing holiday makers who think its the wilds and let their stupid dogs run free because its the forest... grrr.
Gordon.

We've been to caper watch at loch garten for the last two years and managed to see a male on the 11th April in 2015 and the 23rd April in 2016.
we were there again yesterday and there was no sign of any !!!! hadn't expected to see one after what i'd read on here but we were committed to going up and we always like to go for white billed divers up at portsoy the same day .
The volunteer warden at Loch Garten was explaining how this season has been desperate, one male seen on the 2nd April and a female seen last Tuesday (18th) has been the lot for the season !!! His body language wasn't good and it seemed to me that the wardens weren't putting in the effort to find the birds that I've seen them put in in previous years !!!!
we did see osprey, common redstart, tree pipit and a very heavily billed crossbill from the hide and crested tits in the car park by the feeders in the corner so the day wasn't a total loss !!!
I hope others have better luck !!!

We've been to caper watch at loch garten for the last two years and managed to see a male on the 11th April in 2015 and the 23rd April in 2016.
we were there again yesterday and there was no sign of any !!!! hadn't expected to see one after what i'd read on here but we were committed to going up and we always like to go for white billed divers up at portsoy the same day .
The volunteer warden at Loch Garten was explaining how this season has been desperate, one male seen on the 2nd April and a female seen last Tuesday (18th) has been the lot for the season !!! His body language wasn't good and it seemed to me that the wardens weren't putting in the effort to find the birds that I've seen them put in in previous years !!!!
we did see osprey, common redstart, tree pipit and a very heavily billed crossbill from the hide and crested tits in the car park by the feeders in the corner so the day wasn't a total loss !!!
I hope others have better luck !!!

It's nothing at all to do with the effort the wardens are putting in, they can't work magic.. The birds just aren't there. If they were you'd see them ...they're big enough !!

My sentiments Gordon. Areas to accessable now for dog walkers and family picnics. Come up 2 or 3 times year and amount of dogs running around unbelievable also every track now seems to be a cycle track. Something really needs sorting out about these vulnerable areas. If I disturb birds can get prosecuted Joe public waves the I didnt know card . nowt happens .we need to protect our wildlife better

My sentiments Gordon. Areas to accessable now for dog walkers and family picnics. Come up 2 or 3 times year and amount of dogs running around unbelievable also every track now seems to be a cycle track. Something really needs sorting out about these vulnerable areas. If I disturb birds can get prosecuted Joe public waves the I didnt know card . nowt happens .we need to protect our wildlife better

As in other National Parks and conservation areas around the world the only answer is simply dog free zones. The assumed right to let dogs roam anywhere needs to be challenged in sensitive areas. Commercial dog walking is also becoming an issue and needs to be addressed. As with any other business it's does need some regulation I think, with local authorities designating zones perhaps.

Last edited:
Even having designated zones doesn't help much unless you have the manpower to police it. Riverside Nature Park here in Dundee has made half of the park "dogs in lead/stick to paths" for the breeding season to try and encourage some of the Skylarks to breed in the park. The lower half is available for dogs off the lead. So many of the local dog walkers don't even notice the signs, so many of those that do pay them no attention, some of those ignoring them do not take kindly to being told about the signs with what appears to be an upwards trend towards verbal abuse this year. Some commercial dog walkers are in the above categories. Dundee City Council is looking to introduce a register of those services, and I believe there will be requirements to be met before those offering the service will be on the register (in effect a 'trusted trader' scheme of sorts). Not being on the register is likely to be detrimental to any commercial dog-walker in what is becoming an increasingly competitive sphere. However the majority of the doggy disturbance is from those owners who believe they have the right to walk Fido wherever they want (the same sort that believe speed limits are for others) and that "dogs are part of nature" (heard that one a few times) so nature reserves etc are a great place for them to play fetch.

Personally I'd like to see fenced off areas/fields provided solely for dogs/dog walkers around the city (and even in the countryside). Outwith those dogs would have to be on a short lead in public. For those dog walkers who don't clean up after their dogs, it will be other dog walkers (and maybe themselves) who have to watch where they put their feet. I'd also ban dogs from beaches completely.

Rant over.

Rather than efforts on trying to make the few remaining capercaillie easier to see, perhaps better to focus on why they are so scarce, and trying to support them to become a bit more numerous? Even now there are further pressures on their already scarce habitat.

Make concerns known when habitat is threatened, try to provide financial support where we can on efforts to support them - it doesn't help us, but perhaps kids and grandkids can properly enjoy capercaillie.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back