• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lizard ID please (1 Viewer)

Stuart Ling

Can anyone put a name to any of these photos please. They were all taken in Istria, Croatia in May last year and were all taken near to the coast.

regards

Stuart

Attachments

• DSCN7881.jpg
    DSCN7881.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN7873.jpg
    DSCN7873.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for the prompt replies. I think P.taurica can be ruled out on range alone - I'm leaning more towards P.melisellensis for the first one. As for the second, I can't decide between muralis or sicula, both of which occur in the area. I've got other photos, but the more I look at them the more confused I become.

cheers

Stuart

Thanks for the prompt replies. I think P.taurica can be ruled out on range alone - I'm leaning more towards P.melisellensis for the first one. As for the second, I can't decide between muralis or sicula, both of which occur in the area. I've got other photos, but the more I look at them the more confused I become.

cheers

Stuart

To my knowledge P. taurica is not found in the area (as you say).

I think the first one is P. melisellensis and the second is P. muralis (however, I'm not 100% certain).

Hello,

the first (green) one is Podarcis siculus campestris, Italian Wall Lizard, and the 2nd Podarcis muralis maculiventris.

Cheers,
Mario

skink1978,

sometimes it is really hard to differentiate between siculus and melisellensis.
Here are some features which may help.
The dorsal stripe:
In siculus it is allways with straight borders, while in melisellensis it is a little bit zig-zag. In this photo, shown here, the dorsal stripe in parts very light colored, but you may see the straight borders. Also, in siculus it mostly ends in the front at the rear of the head, while in melisellensis often in midbody.
The flanks:
If you see the lizard from the side, in siculus there are never two ventrals with blue spots side by side, while in melissellensis often 3 or 4 blue spotted ventrals are side by side.
Also melisellensis has a bit smaller and smoother dorsal scales, which give a "oily" appereance of the lizard.

Mario

skink1978,

sometimes it is really hard to differentiate between siculus and melisellensis.
Here are some features which may help.
The dorsal stripe:
In siculus it is allways with straight borders, while in melisellensis it is a little bit zig-zag. In this photo, shown here, the dorsal stripe in parts very light colored, but you may see the straight borders. Also, in siculus it mostly ends in the front at the rear of the head, while in melisellensis often in midbody.
The flanks:
If you see the lizard from the side, in siculus there are never two ventrals with blue spots side by side, while in melissellensis often 3 or 4 blue spotted ventrals are side by side.
Also melisellensis has a bit smaller and smoother dorsal scales, which give a "oily" appereance of the lizard.

Mario

Many thanks Mario, that's very useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back