• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos - Skalla Kallonis or Sigri ? (1 Viewer)

nowhereblue

Hi there

Am very excited to be visiting for the Lesvos for the first time this Spring between 27 April and 5 May.

Have booked my flight but am deliberating about whether to do the standard thing and book accommodation in Skalla Kallonis or centre of the island or to be brave and venture out and book accommodation in the West of the island say in Sigris to be well placed to pick up migrating passerines - flycatchers, warblers etc

Any views or experiences of where to stay in Lesvos much appreciated!

Michael

Having been to Lesvos for the first time in April/May 2014 I would like to try a hotel or apartment in Sigri some year. You could get up nice and early and have breakfast and be out birding by 8:00am I think this would give a real advantage, rather than driving from the Skala area.

Must try this sometime.

Hi there

Am very excited to be visiting for the Lesvos for the first time this Spring between 27 April and 5 May.

Have booked my flight but am deliberating about whether to do the standard thing and book accommodation in Skalla Kallonis or centre of the island or to be brave and venture out and book accommodation in the West of the island say in Sigris to be well placed to pick up migrating passerines - flycatchers, warblers etc

Any views or experiences of where to stay in Lesvos much appreciated!

Michael

We have always found Skalla Kalloni to be a good base, Michael. We did stay in Petra one year but found ourselves driving over the hills into Kalloni almost every morning to the saltpans! It's a lovely drive to Sigri from Kalloni, passing many different habitats, including the moon-like terrain near the monastery.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay there whichever area you choose. It's a delightful island. I almost wish we'd never been so we could explore it again for the first time instead of the 12th (?)

SD's book will be a big help to you too.

Lesvos 2015

Having been to Lesvos for the first time in April/May 2014 I would like to try a hotel or apartment in Sigri some year. You could get up nice and early and have breakfast and be out birding by 8:00am I think this would give a real advantage, rather than driving from the Skala area.

Must try this sometime.

We have always found Skalla Kalloni to be a good base, Michael. We did stay in Petra one year but found ourselves driving over the hills into Kalloni almost every morning to the saltpans! It's a lovely drive to Sigri from Kalloni, passing many different habitats, including the moon-like terrain near the monastery.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay there whichever area you choose. It's a delightful island. I almost wish we'd never been so we could explore it again for the first time instead of the 12th (?)

SD's book will be a big help to you too.

Well said Sandra , though I'd like to go back in time with the knowledge and experience that we have now.
It is true though that most birders prefer to locate in Skala Kalloni,
apart from the logistics it is also a centre for migration news and exchange
of experiences at the local Taverna's.
However my wife and I have always preferred the North of the island,
originally because we found the accommodation much cheaper.
It boasts the best site for Ruppell's on the island.
Sigri and Faneromeni would also be excellent bases to locate for a
week, particularly since the area is the first landfall for many migrating
species:rollers,orioles,warblers, flycatchers,bush chat and shrikes always seem much more confiding in the area.
Although I hate to deflect interest away from Birdforum, I thought that you
may like to know that there is a Lesvos Birders Facebook group administered by Steve Dudley and Steve Wytema.
We have found this the best place for up-to date bird watching news, especially during spring.
Good luck
:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back