• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (4 Viewers)

Mar 19 Post split of Angola Greenbul from White-throated Greenbul.

Also some additional common name changes for White-eyes.
Angola Greenbul Phyllastrephus viridiceps is split from White-throated Greenbul P. albigularis based on differences in vocalizations and morphology (del Hoyo & Collar 2016; HBW/BirdLife).

Both the above greenbul species are now monotypic.

Change English name of Zosterops grayi from Pearl-bellied White-eye to Kai Besar White-eye following HBW/BirdLife and Eaton et al. (2021).
Change English name of Zosterops uropygialis from Golden-bellied White-eye to Kai Kecil White-eye following HBW/BirdLife and Eaton et al. (2021).

Angola Greenbul Phyllastrephus viridiceps is split from White-throated Greenbul P. albigularis based on differences in vocalizations and morphology (del Hoyo & Collar 2016; HBW/BirdLife).

Both the above greenbul species are now monotypic.

Change English name of Zosterops grayi from Pearl-bellied White-eye to Kai Besar White-eye following HBW/BirdLife and Eaton et al. (2021).
Change English name of Zosterops uropygialis from Golden-bellied White-eye to Kai Kecil White-eye following HBW/BirdLife and Eaton et al. (2021).
Interested to know why the Bahasa language is being used in preference to English here, for those that don't know, besar, large kecil, small.

Well these are just the names of the islands. Should we translate all local names to English?

Also, "Bahasa" means "language" in Bahasa Indonesia. Calling it "Bahasa" is the no. 1 joke about foreigners in Indonesia :)
Also avoids the confusion whether small/large is in regard to the island or the bird - "Small Kai White-eye" and "Large Kai White-eye" could easily be interpreted as if there's a small and a large white-eye.

We have the same names in Swedish; "kaibesarglasögonfågel" and "kaikecilglasögonfågel".

Also, "Bahasa" means "language" in Bahasa Indonesia. Calling it "Bahasa" is the no. 1 joke about foreigners in Indonesia :)
Yes, with direct translations, little and large or greater and lesser and yes, we should translate if this is to be the 'English' language list.

Also avoids the confusion whether small/large is in regard to the island or the bird - "Small Kai White-eye" and "Large Kai White-eye" could easily be interpreted as if there's a small and a large white-eye.

We have the same names in Swedish; "kaibesarglasögonfågel" and "kaikecilglasögonfågel".
Current preference in English seems to be to use the Indonesian proper names for these islands ("Kai Besar" and "Kai Kecil") which is indeed clearer than "Great Kai" and "Little Kai".
Otherwise you'd be tempted to think of a similar situation as with the two Lifou White-eyes which do differ in size.
For those with linguistic interest: using the local language (Evav/Keiese), you'd get Nuhu Yuut White-eye and Nuhu Roa White-eye.

There have been a bunch of additional English name updates too (usually not posted on the diary page).

Verreaux's Monal-PartridgeTetraophasis obscurusChestnut-throated Monal-PartridgeChange English name of Tetraophasis obscurus from Verreaux's Monal-Partridge to Chestnut-throated Monal-Partridge to align with other major world bird liists.
Szechenyi's Monal-PartridgeTetraophasis szechenyiiBuff-throated Monal-PartridgeChange English name of Tetraophasis szechenyii from Szechenyi's Monal-Partridge to Buff-throated Monal-Partridge to align with other major world bird liists.
Rusty-breasted CuckooCacomantis sepulcralisSunda Brush CuckooChange English name of Cacomantis sepulcralis from Rusty-breasted Cuckoo to Sunda Brush Cuckoo with the split of C. virescens (Wu et al. 2022).
Brush CuckooCacomantis variolosusAustralian Brush CuckooChange English name of Cacomantis variolosus from Brush Cuckoo to Australian Brush Cuckoo with its spit into multiple species.
Orange Fruit DovePtilinopus victorOrange DoveChange English name of Orange Fruit Dove Ptilinopus victor to Orange Dove to align with other major world bird lists.
Golden Fruit DovePtilinopus luteovirensGolden DoveChange English name of Golden Fruit Dove Ptilinopus luteovirens to Golden Dove to align with other major world bird lists.
Whistling Fruit DovePtilinopus layardiWhistling DoveChange English name of Whistling Fruit Dove Ptilinopus layardi to Whistling Dove to align with other major world bird lists.
Hombron's KingfisherActenoides hombroniBlue-capped KingfisherChange English name of Hombron's Kingfisher Actenoides hombroni to Blue-capped Kingfisher to align with other major world bird lists.
Winchell's KingfisherTodiramphus winchelliRufous-lored KingfisherChange English name of Winchell's Kingfisher Todiramphus winchelli to Rufous-lored Kingfisher to align with other major world bird lists.
A noteworthy elimination of 4 English name patronyms, all of which honour European or US persons for Indo-Chinese birds (the great French ornithologist Verreaux should need no introduction; from google of the others, looks like another French scientist, a US geologist and a Hungarian nobleman).

I refer to the other BF discussions on that topic...

A noteworthy elimination of 4 English name patronyms, all of which honour European or US persons for Indo-Chinese birds (the great French ornithologist Verreaux should need no introduction; from google of the others, looks like another French scientist, a US geologist and a Hungarian nobleman).

I refer to the other BF discussions on that topic...
Presumably these four plus the rest of these changes (except the Brush Cuckoo) are an alignment with Clements. Just getting ahead of any knee-jerk reaction equivocating this with the AOS common names situation.

Yes, with direct translations, little and large or greater and lesser and yes, we should translate if this is to be the 'English' language list.

But these are geographical names. When you go to a travel agent in England, do you demand tickets to Good Winds, The Angels or Smoky Bay? You know I am in favor of more indigenous names in general, but even if I temporarily assumed your position that the names should be English, surely geographical names should still have an exception to avoid an absolute havoc of confusion?

In this case at least, I prefer the Bahasa island names to their translations; it helps me to visualise the key fact that they are named after their island homes. Also thank you Birdforum for teaching me about “Smoky Bay” (after finding there is a place of this name in Australia)!

In this case at least, I prefer the Bahasa island names to their translations; it helps me to visualise the key fact that they are named after their island homes. Also thank you Birdforum for teaching me about “Smoky Bay” (after finding there is a place of this name in Australia)!
The islands are the Kai islands, no translation would change that.

But these are geographical names. When you go to a travel agent in England, do you demand tickets to Good Winds, The Angels or Smoky Bay? You know I am in favor of more indigenous names in general, but even if I temporarily assumed your position that the names should be English, surely geographical names should still have an exception to avoid an absolute havoc of confusion?
This is comparing apples and oranges, two, totally different situations which are not comparable and btw, you do hear Americans talk about 'the City of Angels' occasionally.

Maybe we will get there eventually :)

This will be a shitty attempt at transliteration (you can find pronunciation vids on youtube I'm certain) but roughly

keh-CHEEL or kuh-CHEEL
and
beh-SAR or buh-SAR

is what those words have sounded like to me in my rough and tumble exposure to Bahasa Indonesia / Indonesian / Malaysian whatever each of us wants to call it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back