• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Heath (1 Viewer)

prhodes

Heading on a mini break to Edinburgh. Mainly a family trip, but hope to do at least a few hours wildlife spotting - well if it stops raining anyway!

Thinking about Large Heath. Half hour on the computer indicates either Red Moss of Balerno (near the city) or Wester Moss (out towards Sterling). Anyone recommend either, or know if they they are on the wing at the moment?

Or perhaps no infomation at the moment, on account of the poor weather.

Thank-you, Phil

I've no knowledge of sites near Edinburgh, but have certainly seen Large Heath in Cumbria from 13th June (2010) and 2nd July (2011), though obviously those summers were better than this one!

At the moment we seem to be in an endless cycle of wet weather, but temperatures are warm enough (when it's not raining) that, with a bit of luck, Large Heaths should still be out in the coming weeks when the sun finally appears!

I don't know which route up north you will take, but can recommend a couple of decent sites for LH en route past the South Lakes that are only 5 mins off the M6.

Edit: At least 3 Large Heaths out on Saturday 7th July at their most southerly British site in Wales. See here (half way down the page)

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6346&start=20

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I won't be able to stop on route (as taking my elderly mother), but thanks for the advice.

The weather doesn't look to promising for butterfly spotting in the next few days, but fingers crossed anyway. I'll post any positive results.

Thank-you again, Phil

Managed to see Large Heath, with a few ropey record shots. My wife liked the idea of a good walk in Galloway (before we got to Edinburgh but after I'd safely left my mother at her brothers) so we tried the long walk up to Silver Flowes. Not the best walk we've done along Forest Roads with trucks passing on the way or loaded with timber, but we found the reserve. Unfortunately no luck with the 'holy grail' species Azure Hawker, but the weather was just occasionaly hazy and sunny (but cool). Think the second pic. is a Emperor Moth larva, which I've never seen before?

Attachments

• Large Heath1email.JPG
    Large Heath1email.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 71
  • Emperor Moth larvaemail.JPG
    Emperor Moth larvaemail.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back