• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large bird of prey sighted (Possible owl) (1 Viewer)

dud1z

Rye H
On the way into work this morning, from Crewe to Newcastle-under-Lyme, I spotted a very large bird or prey just off the A500 (single carriageway) between Crewe Weston roundabout and junction 16 of the M6. I appreciate this is just within the Cheshire boundaries but this bird could easily stray over the border and this forum is way more active.

I appreciate this area is riddled with buzzards as I see at least 3 every single day and I more than know my birds or prey. This bird was NOT a buzzard, it was perched on a low hanging tree on the edge of a small wooded area. The bird was dark brown with plenty of white/light brown marks and resembled a very large owl. So i'm not sure if there is any reports of escapees recently but it may be worth checking out. I will print screen the location on google maps if anybody is interested.

Just as a note this bird absolutely dwarfed the 3 crows/rooks that were around 20 yards in front of it.

Rye

Last edited:
Unsure if the owners got it back or not, but a guy lost an Eagle Owl in Silverdale which is not that far away some months back, late last year

Tim

On the way into work this morning, from Crewe to Newcastle-under-Lyme, I spotted a very large bird or prey just off the A500 (single carriageway) between Crewe Weston roundabout and junction 16 of the M6. I appreciate this is just within the Cheshire boundaries but this bird could easily stray over the border and this forum is way more active.

I appreciate this area is riddled with buzzards as I see at least 3 every single day and I more than know my birds or prey. This bird was NOT a buzzard, it was perched on a low hanging tree on the edge of a small wooded area. The bird was dark brown with plenty of white/light brown marks and resembled a very large owl. So i'm not sure if there is any reports of escapees recently but it may be worth checking out. I will print screen the location on google maps if anybody is interested.

Just as a note this bird absolutely dwarfed the 3 crows/rooks that were around 20 yards in front of it.

Rye

Unsure if the owners got it back or not, but a guy lost an Eagle Owl in Silverdale which is not that far away some months back, late last year

Tim

Interesting to know if that bird was recoverd or not as the bird I saw could of easily been an eagle owl simply down to size. Silverdale is only around 7 miles as the crow flys so it's well within range. How did you know about the guy losing his owl, was he on this forum?

Cheers - Rye

Interesting to know if that bird was recoverd or not as the bird I saw could of easily been an eagle owl simply down to size. Silverdale is only around 7 miles as the crow flys so it's well within range. How did you know about the guy losing his owl, was he on this forum?

Cheers - Rye

Hi Rye

Sorry its taken so long to reply been rather busy recently.

Found out about the bird being lost by the family posting notices up and leaflets pushed through our door. The guy has a couple of birds and I often use to see him flying one of his birds on a small patch of gras on the estate.

Unsure if he ever got his bird back or not, and as you say Crewe is not that far away.

Tim.

Rye

if you say it was brown with white specks it may have been a ringtail hen harrier. It also has a facial disk like owls. I know there are several breeding in Northumberland and one might have flown down.

Also, an eagle owl is yellowish with black specks so i dont think it was.

I appreciate that hen harriers have an owl like appearance but this bird was not a harrier, it was much larger and broader than a buzzard, thanks for the replys anyway. I have been to the same location a few times now and whatever was there that day certainley has not been around as there has been plenty of pheasents and rabbits knocking about.

Rye

I appreciate that hen harriers have an owl like appearance but this bird was not a harrier, it was much larger and broader than a buzzard, thanks for the replys anyway. I have been to the same location a few times now and whatever was there that day certainley has not been around as there has been plenty of pheasents and rabbits knocking about.

Rye

Maybe it was a juv white-tailed eagle if you say it dwarfed all the crows I know it sounds unlikely but juv white-tailed eagle wander a lot and have appeared in several places around England.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back