• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kiskadee and flycatcher, El Paujil, Colombia (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
Two Tyrannidae from lowland forest at the edge of the Magdalena Valley, Colombia, taken on my recent visit on 17 March (and holding up my trip report...)

(1) I've had this down as Great Kiskadee since I saw it, but am having a crisis of confidence in the black striped head / yellow breast department. Also had what I'm sure were Lesser Kiskadee near a pond, and of course Bananaquit - this was significantly bigger than both and perched out on treetops.

(2) Is this Brown-crested Flycatcher?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Kiskadee_00001 (800x600).jpg
    Kiskadee_00001 (800x600).jpg
    365 KB · Views: 54
  • Flycatcher_00006 (800x600).jpg
    Flycatcher_00006 (800x600).jpg
    422 KB · Views: 38
Two Tyrannidae from lowland forest at the edge of the Magdalena Valley, Colombia, taken on my recent visit on 17 March (and holding up my trip report...)

(1) I've had this down as Great Kiskadee since I saw it, but am having a crisis of confidence in the black striped head / yellow breast department. Also had what I'm sure were Lesser Kiskadee near a pond, and of course Bananaquit - this was significantly bigger than both and perched out on treetops.

(2) Is this Brown-crested Flycatcher?

Thanks!

I might edge towards great-crested flycatcher for 2) although I doubt one can be certain. This is because: colours seem relatively "saturated" [not so washed out as in some brown-crested], there's a fairly strong contrast between the darker feather centres and pale edges, there seems to be a pale base to the bill [could be an artefact, but if not, then perhaps more prominent than expected for brown-crested]. I assume you don't have other shots of e.g. tail, tertials?

I might edge towards great-crested flycatcher for 2) although I doubt one can be certain. This is because: colours seem relatively "saturated" [not so washed out as in some brown-crested], there's a fairly strong contrast between the darker feather centres and pale edges, there seems to be a pale base to the bill [could be an artefact, but if not, then perhaps more prominent than expected for brown-crested]. I assume you don't have other shots of e.g. tail, tertials?

Unfortunately no...I can see now that this would've been more diagnostic, but I've only got the attached in a very similar pose, again quite heavily cropped so can't be sure things like bill colour aren't artefacts...I'm getting the feeling this is going to have to go down as a Myiarchus sp.!

I did find another view of species #1, more distant than the first but shows the wing better.

Attachments

• Flycatcher_00001.jpg
    Flycatcher_00001.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Flycatcher_00002 (800x600).jpg
    Flycatcher_00002 (800x600).jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 29
I agree it looks better for Lesser Kiskadee in new pic, but I also was considering Rusty-margined on seeing just the first pic.

In this view of the second bird it looks more like Lesser Kiskadee : https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Lesser_Kiskadee and https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=599092

Niels
I agree your photos look a good fit.

The two photos were taken from the same vantage point (a birding tower) 12 minutes apart, but may have been different birds as there were a couple around...I did have what I took to be Lesser Kiskadee nearby, they looked more slender and were moving around the lower branches of trees overhanging a pond, whereas these were sitting out in the open a lot of the time - but I'm prepared to accept they were the same species.
Both have frequent eBird records at this site: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L743897/media?yr=all&m=

I agree your photos look a good fit.

The two photos were taken from the same vantage point (a birding tower) 12 minutes apart, but may have been different birds as there were a couple around...I did have what I took to be Lesser Kiskadee nearby, they looked more slender and were moving around the lower branches of trees overhanging a pond, whereas these were sitting out in the open a lot of the time - but I'm prepared to accept they were the same species.
Both have frequent eBird records at this site: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L743897/media?yr=all&m=

We're absolutely sure these are the same bird..? Bill on first looks very different to that on second pic, and [although difficult to tell from the angle], back seems more uniform olive, upper tail sides with clearer rufous. I think, but am not certain, that rusty-margined in Colombia will normally have a brownish, less olive back [i.e. not like 2nd pic]

Thanks everyone for the input on this

I bet they do
Erm, meaning I guess that not everyone will have made the right call?!

We're absolutely sure these are the same bird..? Bill on first looks very different to that on second pic, and [although difficult to tell from the angle], back seems more uniform olive, upper tail sides with clearer rufous. I think, but am not certain, that rusty-margined in Colombia will normally have a brownish, less olive back [i.e. not like 2nd pic]
No, not certain - they were taken 12 minutes apart from the same vantage point (a birding tower), in fact were more than likely different

I think the flycatchers are two different birds. You can see the rusty edges in the first pic, but not in the second.
I can see that too now, thanks

If so, then, rusty-margined fly for the first and lesser kiskadee for the second
I'm happy to follow your diagnosis unless anyone feels strongly about the rusty-margined...especially as I was pretty certain I had lesser kiskadee nearby anyway. I'm going to conclude I didn't actually see a great kiskadee here.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back