• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Köyceğiz & Mugla area - SW Turkey (2 Viewers)

A late addition yesterday evening was a male Red Footed Falcon that thankfully interrupted the football as it flew across the grove . Managed to get a couple of minutes of it hunting over the fields opposite the flat. Also a Roller and big flock of Bee-eaters.

Another of last years photos- Cretzschmars Bunting- on the rubbish dump.
IMG_3550.jpeg

Cretzschmars were surprisingly abundant pretty much wherever I ventured earlier in the spring
Well done with the RF Falcon Cracking bird
Last year I found plenty, even had Ortolan at the same time. This year I haven’t seen so many but the tip has largely been flattened. And there’s a huge boat being built there so quite a bit of disturbance.
Yep- always good to see a RF Falcon 👍🏼

Last edited:
04/06/23
Took a ride via Toparlar onto the Zaferler road. Lovely ride , I’d keep it secret but no bugger comes here anyway.

Lots of the usual but also a glorious pair of Honey Buzzards up towards the waterfall. The forest around here looks particularly thick and undisturbed, mainly orange groves surrounding. A Persian Squirrel was a surprise as all the locals so far tell me Kaunos is the only place they can be found. Common Nightingales were noisily occupying one territory after another all through the area. 1 Woodlark on the forest edge.
Rufous Bush Robins in the less managed citrus groves where other trees & rough hedging have been allowed to border the fields. 3 Black Headed Buntings on power lines , plus numerous Corn Buntings. 1 White Throated Kingfisher flying up one of the bigger streams , Common Kingfisher too which is much less evident here out of winter, Long Legged Buzzard toward Hamitkoy in a pre-storm clear light meaning for a change I got good views of the plumage. An intriguing flock of sizeable birds over the reedbeds turned out to be Woodpigeons , several small flocks adding up to around 40 birds passed- not a common sight in the last year and a half here. Plenty of Turtle Doves around, just not easy to see.
A marsh-grazing cow sent a Water Rail scuttling across a small pond and what I thought was the usual splashing Terrapin frenzy as I cycled by one of the ditches was a big male Wild Boar. It crossed the road after I passed, only seen as I was watching a Roller head back over my head.
I headed back to town quickly as another thunderstorm threatened- this time with an incredibly close lightning bolt into a nearby grove. Amazing view from close range.
View attachment IMG_3606.mov

07/06/23
A busy few days but a ride out to the high road close to Sultaniye brought a light morph Eleonora’s Falcon, picked out cruising below the cliff side then back at eye level for spectacular views before circling high across the lake.
Then yesterday (10/06/23) we took a tourist boat trip, kindly provided to us by the owner, from Köyceğiz to Iztuzu. Not the best way of birding but as we approached Donkey Island ( several local names for it) again Eleonoras Falcon. This time flying from the island,along the reedbeds then hunting above the water surface before whipping around a couple of times and following a similar path.
A surreal experience as there was an elderly member of the ships crew dressed as a belly dancer gyrating suggestively above me on a table to loud music at the time.
The island has fantastic potential for wildlife if left alone. Just need the tourist boats to skirt it at a slightly further distance than presently allowed. All other birds seen were regulars though a Whiskered Tern briefly off the stern gave superb views.

11/06/23
Had the memorable experience of spending the day chatting to Abadin Kurt, instrumental with June Haimoff, in saving Iztuzu beach from hotel developers which would have been disastrous for the Loggerhead turtle breeding and nesting grounds, Nile Softshell Turtle plus numerous bird species.
We sat on his high balcony where I had good views throughout the day of a Roller, Masked Shrike, White Stork, Tawny Owl & Little Owl.
Abadin was fascinating company and deserves honorary membership of Ruffled Feathers.

Busy recently, a bit of travelling plus work. I’ve given up putting bird names in bold, as once started I can’t now undo it. Looks like I’m shouting.

I rode out beyond Hamitkoy yesterday- picked up presumably the same Eleonoras Falcon as seen previously. Nice long swooping views of it over the lake, reed beds and across to the island where I’ll guess it’s roosting.
The heat has picked up this week so I tried to settle into shade for spells and do my birding that way. Nice views of Rufous bush robin, 3 of the 4 Shrikes (no LG), various warblers, and a Tawny Pipit watched this way.
Whilst watching a Red backed Shrike in the riverside meadow a Quail popped out. Had 20 seconds or so of good viewing which is as long as I’ve ever had with Quail.
Across the reedbeds opposite the tiny house past Palmiye Merkez a Hobby was hunting . Also saw one hunting a newly cut field in Gelişim just before dusk. Cycling home batwatching I picked up on both Tawny and Little Owl against the sky

Last week, through a horrible misunderstanding we both sat through an al fresco school concert at a friends workplace. Enduring the sawing of violins and murdering of piano pieces I at least got to watch Pallid Swifts low over our heads in good light. A couple of Alpine Swifts high over too, plus flyby Roller, White Stork and Long legged Buzzard.

Our boat charter friend is still available for Dalyan trips. A nice simple boat (I.e no big speakers, table rows, enforced meal etc) with cooler box and shade . Seats 6 comfortably and will go where asked. For people who want to do their own birding rather than have it pointed out. Message for details.

Last edited:
Apparently a group of birders were here recently looking for White throated Kingfisher. In a year and a half of living here I haven’t found a nailed on site for them. Instead I sometimes pick one up on my routes, mainly either flyovers or by sound first.
Places to try:
1. Sığla forest meadow - edge of town after Iskele restaurant.
2. From the river/dump track. Keep an eye on the line of tree opposite, also I’ve found it in the wood over the road (dog sanctuary behind) and marshy woodland immediately after the dump.
3. Hamitkoy river bridge. Not a bad spot, pick some shade and watch both sides, Pygmy Cormorant often towards the lake side plus good for raptors here and had 3 Black Stork sightings along the forest/hillside valley last year.
4. Occasionally I surprise one along the Hamitkoy road, either in a ditch or one of the groves on the side roads. Not sure this would be possible from a car, I mainly cycle or walk.
Brendan Searson (Dalyan birder site) has regular WTK sightings at Eskiköy. I rarely get over that way. Maybe worth dropping him a line via his site.

Apparently a group of birders were here recently looking for White throated Kingfisher. In a year and a half of living here I haven’t found a nailed on site for them. Instead I sometimes pick one up on my routes, mainly either flyovers or by sound first.
Places to try:
1. Sığla forest meadow - edge of town after Iskele restaurant.
2. From the river/dump track. Keep an eye on the line of tree opposite, also I’ve found it in the wood over the road (dog sanctuary behind) and marshy woodland immediately after the dump.
3. Hamitkoy river bridge. Not a bad spot, pick some shade and watch both sides, Pygmy Cormorant often towards the lake side plus good for raptors here and had 3 Black Stork sightings along the forest/hillside valley last year.
4. Occasionally I surprise one along the Hamitkoy road, either in a ditch or one of the groves on the side roads. Not sure this would be possible from a car, I mainly cycle or walk.
Brendan Searson (Dalyan birder site) has regular WTK sightings at Eskiköy. I rarely get over that way. Maybe worth dropping him a line via his site.
The only fairly reliable site I have is Patara (not the marshes outside the entrance) but the marshes between the ruins and the lighthouse.

24/06/23

Currently watching a Little Swift from the balcony ( getting on for 40 minutes intermittently now). Mixed in with the hundreds of Barn & Red Rumped Swallows usually visible from here. The rump and tail easy to pick out with the naked eye , through bins it’s close enough to see the eye.
Collins indicates it’s well out of range, ebird not so much, sightings patchily across Türkiye. 2 birds reported in Gazientep yesterday.

The only fairly reliable site I have is Patara (not the marshes outside the entrance) but the marshes between the ruins and the lighthouse.
I may be heading that way this year. Will check it out. I regularly heard them where the forest meets the lake , but foliage is so thick there it wasn’t easy to get a sighting. Now I’m cycling I’m in the forest less as it takes quite a tricky hike along overgrown sheep tracks and crossing a knee deep muddy creek on a rotting tree trunk.
I’ve found a new path which I think has promise .

Ruddy Shelduck circling over the lake , 2 Short-Toed Eagles and White throated Kingfisher over the dump woodland .

Otherwise it’s been extremely hot here, just a couple of hours of morning birding most days with the usual local birds seen before they go quiet for the day. Great Spotted Cuckoo dust bathing in the garden was pretty cool.

15/07/23
43-45 C here over the last couple of days and more to come. Obviously I’m not moving around much but the need for water has brought birds closer to the flat. A young Masked Shrike has been on the garden path by a water bowl. Eastern Bonellis and Eastern Olivaceous in the mulberry tree outside, Greater Spotted , Green & Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers all along the wooded garden path. 5 Ravens over are presumably a family party and a Pygmy Cormorant was off the lake front before dusk.
A huge Nile Softshell turtle basking close to Davut restaurant gave good views though they’re very shy on this side of the lake.
Currently Red Rumped Swallow youngsters sheltering on one balcony and Barn Swallows on the other. Also something has been moving around heavily in the roof space- hoping for Beech Marten as a tree branch reaches the roof.

Last edited:
A trip up to Yuvarlakçay (Zirte restaurant - much recommended as a break from the heat) in the week brought good views of a White throated Kingfisher. I haven’t seen one this far from the lake , possibly escaping the high lowland temperatures.

White Storks nesting on the mosque still doing well. The forest protects the wet areas thankfully so still plenty of croaking frogs along the margins.

Meanwhile the + 40 C temperatures continue. A Gull billed Tern off the little lake harbour and a flock of 12 Whiskered Terns on 17th.
The garden /grove is full of birds seeking shade and water. I’ve put bowls along the path and the trees were partly irrigated during the week. Masked Shrikes , 70 or so Chaffinch, Serins, Blackbirds, Eastern Olivaceous Warblers, Song Thrush , Eastern Orphean Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Blackcap, Great Tit, Blue Tit, a Red Backed Shrike , Laughing & Collared Dove, Jay, Hooded Crow, Magpie, Goshawk , Sparrowhawk, Peregrine Falcon, Ravens, Red Rumped & Barn Swallow, Lesser Spotted, Greater Spotted & Green Woodpecker (and a likely Middle Spotted), Tawny Owl & Little Owl, have all been seen this week.
Lots of Wild Boar tracks each morning too.

23/07/23
I finally managed good views of one of the juvenile Masked Shrikes today , noted it has a crossed bill deformity at the tip. Hopefully not too debilitating. Also a 5.30 am Golden Oriole male was welcome, tucking into a diseased fig .

An evening drink by the lake brought a single Slender billed Gull , 5 Alpine Swifts, a young Grey Wagtail and a Marsh Harrier.

A huge Nile Softshell currently popping up off the little marina . A Dice Snake climbing a boat rope too.

26/07/23
Highlights only
I took an early ride out this morning before I’m cloistered from the days heat. Cycled down the river path and surprised to see it’s still got water and plenty of thick vegetation. A White Stork hunting here was a welcome sight regardless of how easy they are to see. A Red backed Shrike was on the meadow wire fence and a Rufous Bush Robin popped out briefly from the scrub behind.

At the scraped final section of river 1 Green Sandpiper and 1 Common Sandpiper plus a Purple Heron. I continued down to the reed beds and found (or rather was found by) a Little Bittern and 2 Penduline Tits.
As ever the return along the river path always seems to deliver birds. A nice flock of 15 Bee-eaters, a Black headed Wagtail, 3 Turtle Doves and a Marsh Harrier all over the dump marsh and wooded area.
Onto the Siğla wood lake side. A Common Kingfisher was at the boat yard, a Pygmy Cormorant flew towards Eskiköy , and a Buzzard Sp was over the wood.

Real highlight though was an Otter swimming off the reedbeds deep towards the woodland. A minutes view was all I had but that was enough. Also a couple of Nile Softshell turtles were between the marina and here.

28/07/23
A long meandering bike ride to just before Sultaniye and back taking in the river, dump, woods, Hamitköy area, Zaferler, and hillsides above Hamitköy. Lots of flowing water as the groves are being irrigated - seemed to bring out the birds.
Highlights only.
5 Green Sandpipers - 1 Purple Heron - River bridge, 2 Greater Short toed Larks- town dump, Woodchat, Red Backed & Masked Shrikes - various places, White Storks, Eastern Orphean, Eastern Olivaceous Warblers. 3 Rock Sparrows - Zaferler , Great Reed Warblers, Reed Warblers, Zitting Cisticola, 2 Hobby’s , Long Legged Buzzard, Syrian & Middle Spotted Woodpecker - riverside wood , Green , Greater Spotted & Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers - garden, 2 Bee-eater flocks - dump and Hamitkoy, 1 White throated Kingfisher- Hamitkoy melon field pond area, Penduline Tit - Zaferler irrigation ditch, Spanish Sparrow , Turtle Doves, Roller. 2 Pygmy Cormorants - over the dump.

Last edited:
05/08/23
Still very hot here 38 -41 C consistently.
There was a Hoopoe in the grove next door during the week. 1 Red backed Shrike also. Masked Shrike are daily and now close to the house. Lesser Spotted, Greater Spotted and Middle Spotted Woodpeckers are all seen regularly close up from the balcony if they’re not disturbed.

Yesterday I took an early morning ride up to Yeşilköy, where I saw two Sombre Tits by the small shop, and a Rufous Bush Robin in a small mixed area of farmland. Nice flock of Spanish Sparrows on a water tank , Short toed Snake Eagle and a Blue Rock Thrush high on the hillside. A Raven family also here.
Then a slow ride through Toparlar , Zaferler, Hamitkoy and back along the lake. A couple of Rollers kept me company from power lines, lots of Serins and Corn Buntings, a Common Kestrel pair, Little Owl on the woodland edge and a Water Rail picking along an irrigation ditch. A patient wait by the wood brought a Common Nightingale. Lots of Turtle Doves on the farmland here.

It seems there may have been reed cutting going on as I saw 4-5 Pygmy Cormorants regularly flying around the area, a Grey Heron and possibly up to 7 Purple Herons. 4 Squacco Herons and a pair of Night Herons flew up from an inaccessible area of marsh/farmland - I’d love to get access to these places but rarely come across anyone except the odd labourer to ask. A foray down a dirt track here was rewarded with a Black headed Bunting, Sardinian & Eastern Orphean Warbler , 2 Kingfishers and a Wood Sandpiper.
A briefly seen raptor looked heavy enough for an eagle Sp but the view was poor. A crisp male Marsh Harrier hunted low overhead as I sat in the shade watching Dice Snakes hunt. Also here I had a few glimpses of a Wild Boar family, the youngsters having put on a bit of weight. A formidable bunch.

The sun being well up by now I didn’t spend long at the dump, only a Common Sandpiper and Purple Heron on the river. Plus the regular Bee-eater flock over the dump. Also here was a Stonechat. On the lake was a single Whiskered Tern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back