• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a 3rd yr Lesser Black-backed Gull? - Eastern Pennsylvania (USA), 9 March (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
Hello all,

One LBBG caught my eye today among 15 or so in with Ring-billeds. I thought it looked odd with such a bold bill ring, but Sibley's guide illustrates 3rd yr as showing this feature. I couldn't locate it for certain after it flew, finding one bird with a bill ring but also the red gonydeal spot. Perhaps just the same bird but at a better angle?

Anyway, I'm interested in what people have to say on this (rather poor) image, although I'm expecting that it's just an older imm. LBBG.

Attachments

• LBBG(crop)_3:9:21.png
    LBBG(crop)_3:9:21.png
    699.3 KB · Views: 30
4cy (or 3rd cycle) LBBG it is. note lack of large apicals and pale bill colour. amount of black is very variable in immatures and can appear even in adults during autumn/winter, usually not as bold as in this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back