• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Impressed by RSPB HD 8x42 (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Had the chance to try out a pair of RSPB's top of the range HD 8x42's recently at the shop at Titchwell, amazingly lightweight in the hand and felt very much like the Leica Ultravid! The bins had a general feel of quality though the best feature by far was the surprisingly good image, the large smooth focus wheel just snapped distant objects into perfect focus once I had the dioptic adjustment sussed!

Not being brand elitist but I wonder how many would consider them in this price range (£499) compared to Minox, Opticron etc or even a secondhand pair of Leica or Swarovski at the same price?

Despite all of that, they are a fantastic pair of bins, does anyone know where they are sourced from?

Matt

See another thread on these bins where I speculate that they're from Bosma in China.

Along with similar Chinese ED from Hawke and Promaster bins their view appears to be very good acording to your (and other) reports.

Why people wouldn't buy them? Well they'ed have to know they're crap and then not actually look through them because they already know (eh, ThoLa?). Me I prefer to look through the bin and then make up my own mind.

I would have thought RSPB (as a brand) would have it's own cachet in the UK.

Last edited:
I had a peep at them and would agree that they're very good bins. As for having a cachet in the UK, I fear that amongst some birders there's a sort of reverse snobbery about RSPB bins which are seen as the bins of choice for 'dudes' and not 'real birders'. Nonsense, as they're an excellent buy,

I had a brief look through a pair a couple of weeks ago at Minsmere and was impressed. From what I could tell in the shop the image was very good, the focusing action was excellent and they were light and comfortable to use. They look very neat, if a little unremarkable and the eyecups twisted in and out smoothly.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct and RSPB bins do suffer from a bit of brand snobbery. They cover a range of binoculars from around £90 to £500 and from a quick glance it is hard to identify which model it is. All Leica, Swaro and to a lesser extent Zeiss bins are expensive, so people know you have spent serious money on them. In a materialistic age that means a lot to some people, unfortunately. More sensible and open minded individuals have the opportunity to pick up some real bargains from the less fashionable brands.

Unfortunately I am saying this as a proud Leica owner, so I am probably a hypocrite and just as guilty of badge snobbery as anyone else. I was still very impressed by the RSPB HDs, though, and would definitely consider a pair if I didn't already have the Leicas.

Ron

Hi Matt

We bought a pair of RSPB bins from the Bird Fair last year and they are RSPB 10x42 BG.PC - Field 6, and we have found them a good buy - not cheap by any means but worth every penny.
They are lightweight and I found I can hang them around my neck with getting a sore on my neck

The other pair we have are RSPB also. They are 8x40 Field 8.2 They are wide, light, and more bulky, than the other pair that we have. We bought this pair from the RSPB shop in Rose Street, Edinburgh, a few years ago. They are just as good, and we use them as much as we always have done.

We keep a pair for long and the other for short viewing. Best way for us. RSPB are the only make we have bought so far.

I thought that 'Viking' had a lot to do with manufacturing RSPB bins, but correct me if I am wrong.

A worthy Xmas present to have anyday

I thought that 'Viking' had a lot to do with manufacturing RSPB bins, but correct me if I am wrong.

Viking are just a marketing brand (like Omicron and many others). They buy and redistribute bins made by other (Chinese and Japanese) ODMs with perhaps a small amount of design input (usually the feature set, the armor design and the badging).

It happens that the RSPB brand and the Viking brand both sell some of the same bins made by the same ODMs then some people make the (causal) connection between the two.

At least one of their Viking bins appears to be the Xi'an Vision (Scicong) Navigator (which appears under several other brands: REI XR, Williams Optics and others).

The other threads of interest on the RSPB HD bins are:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1322737
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1322737

One of the interesting things about this bin is that it's a closed hinge bin. If my speculation about it being a Bosma ODMed bin is correct then it's an interesting choice as Bosma make exactly the same bin in both open and closed form. Perhaps the RSPB having a conservative audience went for the "older" more conventional design style.

Nothing wrong with that, though I like the open bridge one gets the feeling that people jumped on it because it's a fad, you can position yourself like Swaro (!!) and you can get a decent enclosure for a reasonable price that all the Chinese/Japanese made open (non-premium) bridges (even the Vortex Razor?) seem to use.

Let's hope we see the Bosma ED bins in the USA in 2009 ...

Last edited:
RSPB HD Bins

Hi everyone.

Every time im at RSPB Rainham Marshes i spend time looking through a pair of 10 x 42 bins across the site. They provide a good clear and bright image amd fit in my hands just right. Easy to focus and good Depth of Field.

I cannot wait until i have got enough cash to purchase a pair. I think for the money they are very good value. The money i would have spent on a more expensive brand, once saved, will now go towards a Nikon ED 50 scope and lens.

Buy a pair and enjoy.

I was talking to a guy in one of the Viking/RSPB shops who said that the published close focus of 2m was an error and that the actual figure was close to (or closer to) 3m. He said he'd tried lots of them and they were all the same. While I was there someone came in and bought one.

Michael

Purely out of interest, has anyone had the opportunity to test the RSPB HD 8x42 against the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43? I tried the Hawkes on Saturday and was very impressed by the view but hated the focusing. I briefly tried the RSPB HDs a few weeks ago inside the store and remember being impressed by the focusing action but didn't really have a chance to assess them optically. I wonder how they compare. The RSPB bins are more expensive (£440 against £299 at Sherwoods), a bit lighter and, to my eyes, better looking. The Hawkes have a slightly wider FOV (142 against 131 metres). I would be interested to hear any opinions.

Ron

That first link has it under rsbp, but nothing shows. Is it a pop up window?

Sorry, I had to scroll way down on the page.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone has established who manufactures these binoculars and if they are on sale under any other name.

Ron

Further back up the thread on 18th and 20th Dec posts I point to the other threads where I give pretty good evidence for speculation that these are Bosma bins.

If so they probably have the "same" optics as the other Chinese ED bins we've been seeing except in a "closed hinge" enclosure.

Further back up the thread on 18th and 20th Dec posts I point to the other threads where I give pretty good evidence for speculation that these are Bosma bins.

If so they probably have the "same" optics as the other Chinese ED bins we've been seeing except in a "closed hinge" enclosure.
Thanks Kevin. I should have looked a bit harder.

Ron

I don't know if my IPD is unusually small but when I tried the Hawke Frontier ED on Saturday, the two barrels ended up very close together and there was no room to get my fingers round them. That sort of design seems wasted on me and I am much happier with the closed hinge design like the RSPB ED or, of course, my 8x32 Trinovids. ;)

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back