• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Required for Albino Bird - Culver Down, Isle of Wight, UK (1 Viewer)

traceyj

England
Saw this bird this morning at Culver Down, Isle of Wight UK. Size was between a Robin and a Nightingale. Bird highly secretive and always few directly into the centre of a very thick bush - would stay for some time prior to moving to the next thick bush (this obviously could be due to the colour of the bird). Please note that Picture 3 was the only time it sat in a tree being visible and that was not for long. At no time did it call.

Any ideas regarding what this bird could be?

white-bird-flight-cropped-jpg.1468802
white bird flight2-cropped.jpgwhite bird front-cropped.jpgwhite bird flight1-cropped.jpg

Attachments

• white bird flight-cropped.jpg
    white bird flight-cropped.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
Can a chaffinch have so thin a bill?

EDIT: With the small round head, beady eye and lowered tail, could it be a wagtail?

Last edited:
It looks thin in pic 3; it looks as though it might be open in pic 4 (maybe also in pic 1, but I may misconstrue that one). The question is how much of the bill, if anything, is obscured by the vegetation in pic 2.

Thanks for your input - at this end we are starting to lean towards Blackcap as a couple of you are - still awaiting further responses so I will let you know how we get on. Obviously open to other ideas - but Blackcap currently a strong contender

Hello,

like 01101001, I noticed the lowered tail (and I got a Robin-vibe just from picture 3), but after looking at all pictures, can it be a Great Tit?

Yes, its unusual for a Great Tit to be silent over a (presumed?) longer time, but if its indde one, maybe the reason why it has survived despite its white plumage?

But I am puzzled, assuming its a common bird, why makes the white plumage this such a hard bird? Yes, it could be a Blackcap.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back