• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hokkaido driving + coast ferry (1 Viewer)

Matt Slaymaker

Hi all

I will be in Japan for 3 weeks in February and have a couple of questions that locals/past visitors might be able to help with...

I see from plenty of trip reports that people hire cars and drive in Hokkaido in winter, seemingly without problems... This was my plan however some other sources warn against it due to poorly maintained roads and ice/snow.
What are the driving conditions like from Sapporo to the east coast, the usual birding spots and back? Is it doable/safe in a small hire car in mid-Feb?

Secondly, I was planning to get the ferry from Oarai to Hokkaido.
Anyone know if it is necessary to book in advance? They only give a phone number on the website so was hoping to turn up and get a ticket (the cheapest available) on the day.
Also, where exactly does the ferry go from in Oarai - is it obvious where to go once I get to the port area?

Thanks for any help
Matt

Hi all

I see from plenty of trip reports that people hire cars and drive in Hokkaido in winter, seemingly without problems... This was my plan however some other sources warn against it due to poorly maintained roads and ice/snow.
What are the driving conditions like from Sapporo to the east coast, the usual birding spots and back? Is it doable/safe in a small hire car in mid-Feb?

The roads are OK, I wouldn't say they were poorly maintained. Better than the UK for example. There may be a lot of snow and ice it's true but 4WD and studless tyres are standard: it's doable and safe, even in a small car.

I'd get the train or bus to Kushiro (from Sapporo or Chitose, both fairly near the ferry port in Tomakomai) and hire a car there though, it'll save you time, money and a long long drive.

Don't know about the ferry, hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in. I doubt a foot passenger would need to book in advance but I may be wrong.

Hi,

We drove from Sapporo to the east coast in mid January 2010. We were originally due to fly to Kushiro from Tokyo but that flight was cancelled due to snow, so we were diverted onto a flight to Sapporo, this was turned around an hour from landing due to snow at Sapporo, so we went back to Tokyo and got on a later flight to Sapporo which fortunately was able to land. We had re-arranged our hire car from Kushiro to Sapporo and the following day drove to the east coast. Despite heavy snow, the drive was straight forward, the car (Honda Jazz) had snow tyres fitted, the roads were good and well sign posted, but it did take all day to drive the distance. This is something I noticed a lot in Japan, it does seem to take more time than expected drive anywhere.

All the best,

Mark

Thank you both for the responses. That should help put my girlfriends mind to rest!
I guess it is a bit down to luck on the day but fingers crossed the weather won't be too extreme.

Hopefully someone with first hand experience of the ferry will take a look at some point.

Cheers, Mattt

Hey Matt, will be going to Japan next Feb so will be looking forward to reading about your exploits. So any tips you think'll be helpful, would be hugely grateful if you could post 'em :)

Cheers, Ads

Hey Matt, will be going to Japan next Feb so will be looking forward to reading about your exploits. So any tips you think'll be helpful, would be hugely grateful if you could post 'em :)

Cheers, Ads

Next Feb as in 2016?

I will try and do a trip report but still have 4 other half-finished ones i'm working on so likely it will just join the back of the queue!
Drop me a reminder nearer the time.

Plan is 3 weeks split between Hokkaido, Okinawa, Kyushu, Kyoto and Tokyo. A mix of birding and whatever the GF wants to do...

I'd strongly recommend checking out Peach airlines for internal flights greta value and a growing network.

I've always just turned up for the ferry, but do check when the Japanese ferries are.

It's a fair hike from the train station to the ferry pier at Oarai - I've always taken a cab, but there may also be buses. If you have time just ask someone when you get to the train station - Japanese people are friendly and helpful.

I agree it would be better to take a train or bus (from Sapporo) across to Kushiro.

Do also be aware that the cheapest ferry option you don't even gets bed, just floor space in a tatami room.

Dead envious - been three times to Hokkaido and never in season for the eagles!

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back