• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring or Lesser black-backed Gull (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

Here are photos of a gull that was on the shore of Lake Michigan north of Chicago near Evanston, Illinois last Saturday, October 20, 2012.

Herring Gull would be more common, and overall the smudgy brown appearance made me think Herring at first, but there are some things that make me wonder, including the smallish, all-black bill, dark marks in the auriculars, and a streaky breast. The head looks dainty for a Herring. Could this be a worn juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gull?

Is there something else I should consider?

thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull  IMG_2934.JPG
    Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull IMG_2934.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull IMG_2924.JPG
    Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull IMG_2924.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull IMG_2926.JPG
    Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull IMG_2926.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull IMG_2936.JPG
    Herring or Lesser Black-backed Gull IMG_2936.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 69
it's definitely a smithsonianus. note for instance the large pale inner webs to mid primaries (best visible in pics 2-4, pale areas best visible in primaries 5-7). this plus structure (stockier than LBBG) and plumage (fresher and darker in LBBG) makes it a 1cy american herring gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back