• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Shrike Taxonomy - Durham 1999 (1 Viewer)

bonxie birder

Going for the One
United Kingdom
I saw the shrike at Marsden, Co Durham in 1999. At the time it was listed as an Isabelline Shrike. Can someone please help me and let me know which of the new British list shrikes it actually was. I’ve seen it listed as a red-tailed and an Isabelline???

I saw the shrike at Marsden, Co Durham in 1999. At the time it was listed as an Isabelline Shrike. Can someone please help me and let me know which of the new British list shrikes it actually was. I’ve seen it listed as a red-tailed and an Isabelline???
According to the RBA website it is listed as a Isabelline so not accepted at species level for either Turkestan or Daurian Shrike.

Daurian shrike (sap. isabellinus) as per The Birds of Durham (Bowey & Newsome, 2012). The only other record listed is a Turkestan shrike nearby at Whitburn in 2006.

As is the same with all 1st winter "Isabelline" Shrikes seen in Britain, it's not currently accepted to species level so not counted on the Durham list. I also saw this bird and the 2016 adult female that is now thought by some to be a hybrid!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back