• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hello (1 Viewer)

freedomlover

I am an extremely amatuer bird watcher. We have several feeders in our yard and I enjoy watching them all the time, year round. I did have a odd experience tonight, which got me to this site.

I let our dog out into the backyard, without noticing that their was a baby robin on the ground. She started after the young bird, and I chased her down and stopped her. The baby got away, but we were then attacked by several robins. The Odd part was, after I got her into the house, I went to check on the baby, and everytime I stepped out the gate, several birds started loudly chirping and swooping. These birds were not just Robins, but cardinals and sparrows also. Is this normal?

Yes, very normal. It's what is called a mobbing behavior. Blue Jays are known best for it. I can always tell when a Hawk is in close proximity because the Blue Jays start first followed by all the other surrounding birds. It's actually pretty neat the way they all stick together when they perceive a danger.

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Hello freedomlover,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. The baby Robin in your yard was probably a "fledgling" - one that is just leaving the nest but is NOT quite ready to fly. They often spend several days in low bushes or on ground and the parents continue to feed and protect them.

Certainly the swooping action of the Robins you first mentioned would be "normal" for these birds in protecting their young.

As to the other bird species joining in in the "dive bombing", birds do sometimes get together to "chase away" a threat. This is called "mobbing" and may explain what you experienced.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back