• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide for coral reef fish (1 Viewer)

michalb

Poland
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a guide to help identify and name at least some of underwater wildlife that can (still) be seen on coral reefs. Though not bird-related, I'm sure I'll find some valuable recommendations from the bibliophiles here :)

My short web research pointed me to "Coral Reef Fishes" by Lieske & George (Coral Reef Fishes: Indo-Pacific and Caribbean). Is this a good choice? I find it very convenient that it covers reefs all over the world, as for the moment my regions of interest are mainly SE Asia (Philippines, Indonesia) and the Caribbean, but visiting e.g. the Mascarene Islands is also in plans. Or maybe the range covered is too big and it would be better to get guides for separate regions? Same as there are not many guides to "birds of the tropics" for example :)

As the title says, I'd be mostly interested in fishes identification, but any extras about crustaceans, molluscs and other coral reef marine life would be a nice bonus.

Thanks for any recommendations!

As a popular dive destination, the Red Sea is very well covered and so is the Mediterranean.

Plenty of guides for Asia and Australasia too.............

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. Are there any particular ones to recommend? I guess the one I linked to in the opening post is decent too? The worldwide coverage does appeal to me :)

Thanks Andy. Are there any particular ones to recommend? I guess the one I linked to in the opening post is decent too? The worldwide coverage does appeal to me :)
I'd usually but the latest edition of any book or the newest publication on any area. The book you link seems more than fine but check for newer editions before to buy.

If you go to a place where they dive, check out the local dive shops, they will often sell these guides.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for the remarks. The Caribbean one looks nice, though not the destination of my nearest travels, but of course I do plan to return to that region too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back