• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2024 - Joint Thread (5 Viewers)

Out on the 5th for a run to and around Argal Reservoir. Only new bird added was House Sparrows within 5 minutes of leaving the house! Leaving after 4pm probably contributed to the dearth of birds as the light and activity faded ...

Out again this afternoon (9th) for a longer run - up to the field and then back via the reservoirs. A couple of Woodcock the highlights, frustratingly should have seen one on the deck but I wasn't looking at the point it flushed up c15 metres ahead of me! 14 Great Crested Grebes on Argal Reservoir, and 2 Shoveler out in the middle (first I've seen here - they're usually on College). There were another 8 on College Res, and 2 Gadwall also (along with c120 Coot, 35 Tufties and 20+ Wigeon etc). The Shoveler could well have been fresh in. A few other year additions - both regular woodpeckers, Goldcrest and Fieldfares. Bullfinches are an ideal bird to see in these circumstances - a bright flash of white rump and id clinched!

Fox and Rabbit added to the mammal list, but surprised by a Common Frog crossing the road in the first mile - it was still lightly snowing at this point, and not much above freezing. Total distance c11.5 miles. c38 bird species.

Last edited:
Yesterday's & today's walks from home ticked up the On Foot list a little:-

63​
Wigeon - thirty
09-Jan-24​
64​
Song Thrush
10-Jan-24​
65​
Ringed Plover - six
10-Jan-24​
66​
Turnstone - twelve
10-Jan-24​
67​
Merlin - a reasonably good record for us
10-Jan-24​

So cold my Geordie wife put her gloves on. :)

All the best

Paul

Today's walk & another addition:-

68Grey Plover12-Jan-24

One of the more obvious waders to add. I confess that I only carry my camera & bins. I ought really to carry my scope but I generally wander for about 4 to 5 kms over in excess of an hour.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Just added my species into the UK tab to take it to 82 species. There were two duplicates in there:-

All the best

Paul

Just added my species into the UK tab to take it to 82 species. There were two duplicates in there:-

All the best

Paul
Cool!

I was going to ask if you and others were going to/want to use the spreadsheet. Are you saying the UK list is mostly correct now (except the ordering is a bit out?)

Cool!

I was going to ask if you and others were going to/want to use the spreadsheet. Are you saying the UK list is mostly correct now (except the ordering is a bit out?)

I only looked at the Combined List for my additions. Looking at it again, it seems that you need to add:-

Black-tailed Godwit
Razorbill
Shag
Red-breasted Merganser
Great Northern Diver
Mediterranean Gull
Greenshank

And from Benji's list:-

Pheasant

All the best

Paul

I only looked at the Combined List for my additions. Looking at it again, it seems that you need to add:-

Black-tailed Godwit
Razorbill
Shag
Red-breasted Merganser
Great Northern Diver
Mediterranean Gull
Greenshank

And from Benji's list:-

Pheasant

All the best

Paul
Yes, after posting just then I remembered I'd been out since ;-)

I'll have a look now (it was interesting a minute ago seeing your cursor jumping around on the spreadsheet. I think it can cope with multiple people editing at once, but I feel wary of doing so in case you work against someone lol)

;-)

@ClarkWGriswold and @Moo - I've put a header up on the UK tab of the spreadsheet (linked on post 1 of this thread or above) with your usernames - if you wanted to put your yearlists up there.

(There is no compunction to do so I believe ;-) )

Lists can be pasted from elsewhere (Paste special -> Values Only (to keep the formatting)), or easy enough for someone else to do if you wish ...

"Wet" is definitely the status here as well. My highlight yesterday was that the riverside road that had been flooded was dry. I have the (rather bad) idea of cycling to the office tomorrow and that would be my shortest route (luckily it is not much of a detour if it's flooded again).
It's quite hilly around here, but it does flood in some of the dips in the road sometimes. I wish it was flat sometimes - lots of hills to go up! Not rained for best part of a week now, shocking. Given the ground a good chance to dry out ... a lot less squelchy in most areas, thankfully.

Last edited:
@ClarkWGriswold and @Moo - I've put a header up on the UK tab of the spreadsheet (linked on post 1 of this thread or above) with your usernames - if you wanted to put your yearlists up there.

(There is no compunction to do so I believe ;-) )

Lists can be pasted from elsewhere (Paste special -> Values Only (to keep the formatting)), or easy enough for someone else to do if you wish ...

Stock Dove & Tawny Owl in Rich's posts.

All the best

Paul

Out again on the 11th. Headed for the Carrick Roads, hopefully to get target species Black-necked Grebe, with a handful of other target species. Mixed success. Anyway ...

First good bird was Firecrest by College Res, on my way down into Penryn, followed by heard-only Nuthatch. Followed the stream down through and into town, trying for Dipper, but no luck. Down to the Penryn River mudflats proper and first Little Egret of the year, followed by 2 Black-tailed Godwit (surprise as I'd completely forgotten about them). Looking for Kingfisher and Common Sandpiper, but no luck. Greenfinch added in the cemetery, with later on Teal, Curlew and Redshank, and at one spot for a quick scan, Oystercatcher, Little Grebe, Grey Heron and a Blackcap in the pathside Ivy, all new for the year. Around the peninsula and with proper views of the mid section of the Carrick Roads - quick scan producing Shag and Razorbill (first of 3 seen). Around to the yacht club at Mylor Churchtown and time for a proper scan of the roads.

In previous years it's been relatively easy to pick up the regular wintering Black-necked Grebes (30+ in several rafts, constantly diving and moving around, albeit distantly), but not to be this time. I did pick up a total of 7 Great Northern Diver, 6+ Red-breasted Merganser and a distant Mediterranean Gull in flight, but apart from the mergs, only species I would expect to pick up anyway at the coast proper on a visit there. A Grey Seal snorkelling close in, and a few Turnstone also.

It was pretty cold sat and I had to carry on, so called it a day on that and headed back 'inland' towards Penryn. Back to the Penryn River and the tide was coming in - I forgot to count them but now 20+ Redshank roosting, a Snipe at Gorrangorras, and another target species finally - smart grey and white Greenshank. 3 dotted about on this section now. Back on the road and a view of the water by Lidl's and a Common Sandpiper flew past, flickering flight distinctive. Another 'target' species for the day. Back to the stream and followed it up through the woods for Dipper, again unsuccessful, with first Collared Dove and Grey Wagtail for the year this time, Nuthatch heard again same place, and walk up the final hill, and back home. About 20 new species for the year. Targets unsuccessful additional to already mentioned things like Whimbrel. Oh well.

16+ miles (my running watch ran out of battery!), 60 total species for the day. Still plenty of common species missing/to look forward to!

Yes, I wasn't quite sure whether to give the opportunity to do it properly, or not.

EDIT: And if we're doing it going to lose my first record of Woodcock too lol
I've added those two to the overall UK list, and brought forward the date of our collective first woodcock. Given that there aren't all that many people posting on this thread who aren't using the spreadsheet for their personal lists, it's not going to be too hard to keep adding those extra species. Especially as this game normally slows down a lot after the first week of January when everyone's picked off the easy resident species near them.

Edit to add: I've been having a go at doing a global list, which is a slow task due to the differences in the UK and IOC names. In the process I'm finding a few duplicates in the European list, mostly having Common X and Eurasian X recorded on different days. So that list is gradually shortening at present.

Last edited:
I walked inland for a few hundred metres today this afternoon and added three to my 'on foot' list all covered by others already:-

69​
Stock Dove
13-Jan-24​
70​
Kestrel
13-Jan-24​
71​
Jay
13-Jan-24​

I should be out on foot again in the morning. A total of 49 species today.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
I've added those two to the overall UK list, and brought forward the date of our collective first woodcock. Given that there aren't all that many people posting on this thread who aren't using the spreadsheet for their personal lists, it's not going to be too hard to keep adding those extra species. Especially as this game normally slows down a lot after the first week of January when everyone's picked off the easy resident species near them.

Edit to add: I've been having a go at doing a global list, which is a slow task due to the differences in the UK and IOC names. In the process I'm finding a few duplicates in the European list, mostly having Common X and Eurasian X recorded on different days. So that list is gradually shortening at present.

I was just hanging fire on that out of politeness, but if people have contributed to the thread don't think there can be any issue ;-)

I see Moo has his yearlist elsewhere in the listing section.

I was going to do the the global list, but seem to be unable to sign in to my Bubo account at the moment. As you say, it's really only a 'Europe, including UK' list at the moment (and may well remain that way) ...

;-)

Global list done. I make it 153 including 2 species described by the observers as Cat D or E, or 151 if we restrict ourselves to A and C. I've followed the format of the European list in putting the Cat C birds at the end in red, to make it easier to upgrade them if someone subsequently sees a Cat A rock dove or a Cat C ruddy shelduck. The date formatting is off for a lot of them, but should be readable. No guarantees that I've got all the IOC names right, but I did a very thorough check for duplicates and there shouldn't be many of those left.

Global list done. I make it 153 including 2 species described by the observers as Cat D or E, or 151 if we restrict ourselves to A and C. I've followed the format of the European list in putting the Cat C birds at the end in red, to make it easier to upgrade them if someone subsequently sees a Cat A rock dove or a Cat C ruddy shelduck. The date formatting is off for a lot of them, but should be readable. No guarantees that I've got all the IOC names right, but I did a very thorough check for duplicates and there shouldn't be many of those left.

I've also done a world list (I managed to get signed onto my partners bubo in the end) - based off IOC but some name differences as per BUBO listing ... and as such taxonomic by date rather than alphabetic by date. I prefer this approach, but others may vary, and probably useful to have both (and a double check for each listsheet to compare?) In any case, I've tagged it on the right hand end out the way after Australia ...

EDIT: I notice there is some discrepancy between the two ( ;-) ) . A work in progress, I will look at it again tomorrow pm. Because it's taxonomic, in case anyone else edits it, please do keep the strict correct taxonomic order or let me know of any errors I've made here and I'll update it ...

Cheers ;-)

Last edited:
EDIT: I notice there is some discrepancy between the two ( ;-) ) . A work in progress, I will look at it again tomorrow pm. Because it's taxonomic, in case anyone else edits it, please do keep the strict correct taxonomic order or let me know of any errors I've made here and I'll update it ...
Looks like there's a difference of 3, one of which is I've accepted the Egyptian Goose as a C while you've got it as an E. If Xenospiza's one was an E, then there's still Laurent's one on 4 Jan which was a C. I may need to change the date but it does count one way or the other. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the other 2 issues are duplicates in my list, as it's much harder to spot duplicates in an alphabetical list than in taxonomic order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back