• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going to be in Redmond, Where to Bird (1 Viewer)

BoonHogganbeck

I'm going to be in Redmond for a few days in April. I plan on hitting Marymoor park for an evening or two if I get some free time.

After that, I am planning on staying in Washington for 3 - 4 more days to do some quality birding. I will be renting a car, so I will have some mobility.

My plans are to spend a day or more birding Olympic State Park. Is this a good destination? Are there better stops in the area?

Also, I am interested in spending a day birding the coast in that region. Any suggestions.

If you had 3 - 4 days to bird in that area, where would you spend the majority of your time?

I want to get some "lifers" that I cannot find in New Jersey (my birding life so far has been limited to the east coast and Caribbean). But equally important, I want to spend some quality time outdoors taking in some scenic views.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean Olympic National Park? Yes, it's very good. It's also vast; you could spend a week just hitting the highlights. It includes a strip of wild ocean shoreline. Other good birding sites on the coast are Westport, Tokeland south of there and the ends of the Long Beach Peninsula at Deception Pass and Ledbetter Point State Parks. The ocean scenery is outstanding. April is a little early for the mountains on account of snow. Another great scenic area is Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands and Deception Pass State Park between them. Then there's the San Juan Islands ... but you're running out of time. Closer in, Marymoor is outstanding; there are so many other possibilities I don't know where to start.

Could be wonderful. Clouds and rain are possible any time of year. Be prepared to get wet (the Hoh is one of the wettest temperate-zone places in the world). As to the birding possibilities, A Birder's Guide to Washington indicates that prime time is May through July. Good luck.

Thanks for the links Dennis.

Looks like I will be visiting Hoh for a day or two, as I am excited to see not only birds but the rainforest.

Is there a good place for shore/sea birds nearby that would be an easy visit for day three?

Will it be too cold/wet to camp in the Hoh area during the second week of April? If so, is there good lodging nearby?

I'll be on business from Mon - Wed of that week but am looking forward to some late afternoons in Marymoor, should time permit.

Thanks for all the help thus far. I am very rarely on the West Coast and am looking forward to the visit.

I'd expect the Hoh campground to be rather damp in April, but it is open year round.

As long as you'll be at the Hoh, you should certainly check out the ocean in the vicinity. From where US 101 crosses the Hoh, it's twelve miles downriver to eleven miles of highway along the National Park's "ocean strip". In the middle of that is Kalaloch Campground, with a concession motel and cabins, as I recall (it's been many years). In the other direction on 101, it's fourteen miles to Forks (made famous by the movie "Twilight"), with several motels. When I was there, I stayed at the very nice Manitou Lodge Bed and Breakfast near the La Push Indian Reservation,http://www.manitoulodge.com/. On the road into La Push is a short hiking trail to a spectacular wild beach in the Park. The tiny La Push reservation is on the ocean fifteen miles downriver from Forks (though the lodge is inland in the forest).

What ever you do, hit the coast of WA...I believe Long Beach was mentioned although that is further south than you might want to go. But that area and the area around Willapa Bay is pretty good...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back