• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Genesis Update (1 Viewer)

Upland

I spoke with Kowa USA rep this morning about the Genesis line. I thought they might be coming out with a new version soon since they are selling the present model at incredible prices. He said no new version is coming out soon although they have been working on a new model for awhile. Sounds like it’s on the back burner for now. The reason for the sale is just to move some inventory before they get new stock for the holidays. The promo ends this Saturday so if you want a super deal, now is the time.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering the same thing. I have the 8.5x44, tempting to get the 10.5x44 also at this price.

Although I'd love to see an updated model with better FoV and lower weight in the full-sized 42+mm models, I have a feeling it is tough for them to create something that superior optically and stay in the same price range.
I've long felt the Genesis line underrated and easily on-par with the alphas if you are talking purely optical quality, especially control of CA, contrast, and central sharpness.
I wish the 8x33 models had more eye-relief for binocular users, as I'd be all over a pair at this price range.

Justin

Although I'd love to see an updated model with better FoV and lower weight in the full-sized 42+mm models, I have a feeling it is tough for them to create something that superior optically and stay in the same price range.
I've long felt the Genesis line underrated and easily on-par with the alphas if you are talking purely optical quality, especially control of CA, contrast, and central sharpness.
I wish the 8x33 models had more eye-relief for binocular users, as I'd be all over a pair at this price range.

Justin

Yes I agree, I ended up selling my 8x33 due to the more difficulties of eye placement due to the minimal eye relief even though they were usable. Outstanding build/optical view. Tempted to buy another pair to review against my recent purchase of the Meopta B1.1 8x32 I currently own, maybe even re think about keeping the Kowa’s and offering the Meopta’s to a new home. From memory I think overall optically the Kowa to my eyes had the edge over the Meopta but the Meopta definitely has the edge over handling/eye relief with my facial features than the Kowa. Plus I think the Little Kowa’s gave nothing up optically to any of the Leica Ultra HD Plus or the Zeiss 8x32 FL binoculars I have handled.

Gwen - I’m with you. I love the optics of the Kowas (in the center at least) but I greatly prefer the overall ergonomic package of the Meostar. The Kowa Genesis 33 eyecups are so supersized that (combined with not so great eye relief) I have to use them one click down and balance them against my orbital. The Meostars don’t have great eye relief and the eyecups are a bit too small for my face but for some reason I find them super easy and relaxed to look through.

The Kowa 33 feels great in the hand and the focus knob is spectacular but those darned eyecups.... and I prefer the compact, contoured hand grip of the little Meostars. Just so comfortable to hold for extended use.

I’m also coming to find that I prefer a more “classic” distortion profile with mild pincushion and gradual blur towards the edge vs the Kowa profile of “flattening” with a blurry ring of defocus and compression at the edge. Maybe that’s why I find the Meostar view more “easy”. It has a very large sweet spot and very gradual loss at the edge.

The Kowa has better color neutrality and “micro contrast” and superior CA control, but the Meostar is still plenty sharp and contrasty and has above average CA control.

I’m beginning to think i need to save up for the B2 which will have improved coatings which is my only real nitpick with them optically.

I’m the exact opposite on the ergonomics of the MeoStar. The short tiny eyecups force me to slide them down my nose and let outside light in. The eyecups remind me is the Swaro CL which make them unsuitable for me. That’s why it’s nice to have so many choices as we all have different faces and ways we like to hold our binos. I wouldn’t call the eyecups large by any means. I’ve owned over two dozen pairs of binos in the past couple years and they are quite the average diameter. They fit perfectly in my eye sockets unlike several pairs that had truly large eyecups. Luckily for me they extend to just the right length when fully extended for my preference. I’ve tried quite a few glasses that the eyecups are too short to be useful to me. Some were awesome in other respects and I hated to give them up but short eyecups are one of my pet peeves along with glare. The comments on small sweet spot also puzzle me. I didn’t try the Kowas for a long time due to those reviews. However the only time I noticed it was when I viewed a fence post from the top to bottom of the fov. The very top of the post was a little out of focus but I had to strain to get my eyes to focus on the perimeter to see it. I’ve since spent plenty of time trying to see a small sweet spot but the result is always the same. Perhaps initially this was a problem and Kowa corrected it? Not sure but I’m focused on the center anyways and I don’t notice the edges unless I really look for it as stated. For me I don’t think any other glass in the prices available now come close to the Genesis. My subjective opinion of course and it’s quite obvious others feel different. What a luxury to have so many choices!

Indeed, glad we have choices!

In terms of the eyecups, they do have some taper which makes them better than some that have flat edges. But they are still very large diameter. For me though the problem is a combination of narrowish IPD (around 62mm) and a wide nose bridge. If my IPD was a little wider and/or the bridge of my nose a little slimmer, I would probably be able to use the Genesis at full extension with no issues. So this is an issue with my personal “fit” more than a general criticism of the Genesis.

With regards to the sweet spot - don’t get me wrong, it’s not something you notice in normal field use if you’re not looking for it. And my frame of reference is alphas, so I’m judging them on a very high standard. If you just use the binoculars and look at stuff like a normal human then the sweet spot feels fine. But the distortion pattern and blur ring where it switches from pincushion to barrel (and resultant AMD) are part of Kowa’s design and it exists across all Genesis (and now the BDII) models. So it’s not a “problem that was corrected”, rather it’s more about how much your eye/brain system reacts to that specific optical formula.

Interesting to know. And I'm somewhat glad, since I just purchased my 8.5x44 this spring ;-)
A lovely pair of binoculars with incredible quality and comfortable with glasses - the main reason I didn't choose the smaller 8x33.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back