• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye pain from viewing through binoculars? (2 Viewers)

has any one else looked through the binoculars,surely if they are fine when someone else looks through them it can't be the binos, if another person see's the same problem then it has to be faulty binos:unsure:
Not necessarily true, my mates could NOT see collimation slightly out on my FL's.
Sent them in, and although it was slight, they WERE out. Sorted by East Coast Optics.
I think tolerance to collimation is personal.
Same story with my Swaro CL8x25's..... only I could see it, but yet again they were a hairs breadth out, now sorted by Swaro.
Sending bins to one of the repair guys on here is very cheap for a check, and about £60 to re-align IF there is a problem.
Unbelievably, my Meostars were also very slightly out, sent in to Richard, Bino Repair Man, and yes, they were slightly out, now sorted. The dealer argued they were spot on, but it was so slight to me, I knew I could get them looked at, and got a nice bargain!
My conquests, which I stupidly sold, as they were plenty good enough, are the only bins in my last 4 purchases that were absolutely spot on from the off. Perfect!
But in all these cases, I was alone in thinking they were out, my mates ALL disagreed.
I've yet to be proved wrong.

Usually, higher quality binoculars like Swarovski's are going to cause less eye strain than budget binoculars because of the superior optics. There is always a chance you could have gotten a lemon, though, so try another binocular of the same or similar model and see if you still get eye pain.

That's terrific, you've checked and double checked alignment and you're satisfied collimation is true. Congratulations, you have a good example!

But, I guess that's good and bad news, the instrument was the easiest thing to rule out as being the cause of your eye pain/strain, so let's hope your optician can pinpoint the real cause for you.

Please keep us updated on what your eye test reveals. I, for one, would be very interested.

Good luck! 🙂
Thank you! I suppose there's still a chance they're slightly misaligned still since that seems so common, even eith Swarovskis? I don't want to be overly confident in my checking the alignmentbut they seemed good.

However, I do have news from the optometrist. She thinks mainly what is going on that is causing strain is what is called convergence insufficiency. The muscles in my right eye are strained and giving out at certain points. I asked her if this was age related or just due to overuse, and she thinks that it is due to overuse. I have had to look at a computer screen for my job a lot over the last week and I also got the binoculars in. So maybe the combination of both of those has just been a little bit too much on my eyes.

Luckily she said the convergence insufficiency can be corrected through an exercises she told me about where I specifically try to focus on a small object being brought close between my eyes and towards my nose. When my right eye gives it I then make an attempt to focus it. She said do 10-15 reps pretty day. It can take a month to several months to get back to normal.

She also said I do have a slight astigmatism in my right eye, 0.5. So that also could be causing a bit of a strain on my right eye with a binoculars as well. I don't know if that level of astigmatism would cause strain with a binoculars but I also am going to try glasses with them at some point too. Hopefully the exercises will be enough to help as I would prefer not to have to wear glasses each time I go out looking for birds but I will if that's what needs to happen.

All in all it looks like the issue is me and not the binoculars. I think this is mostly good since it looks like what appears to be the main issue can be solved through exercise.

Thank you for replying and for your Insight with all of this. It has been very helpful and I feel like I've learned a lot. Of course, if you or anyone else has anything to say please feel free!

Usually, higher quality binoculars like Swarovski's are going to cause less eye strain than budget binoculars because of the superior optics. There is always a chance you could have gotten a lemon, though, so try another binocular of the same or similar model and see if you still get eye pain.
There is a town about an hour away that has 10x42s NLs in so I could try to compare the 8x42s to today just to see.

Not necessarily true, my mates could NOT see collimation slightly out on my FL's.
Sent them in, and although it was slight, they WERE out. Sorted by East Coast Optics.
I think tolerance to collimation is personal.
Same story with my Swaro CL8x25's..... only I could see it, but yet again they were a hairs breadth out, now sorted by Swaro.
Sending bins to one of the repair guys on here is very cheap for a check, and about £60 to re-align IF there is a problem.
Unbelievably, my Meostars were also very slightly out, sent in to Richard, Bino Repair Man, and yes, they were slightly out, now sorted. The dealer argued they were spot on, but it was so slight to me, I knew I could get them looked at, and got a nice bargain!
My conquests, which I stupidly sold, as they were plenty good enough, are the only bins in my last 4 purchases that were absolutely spot on from the off. Perfect!
But in all these cases, I was alone in thinking they were out, my mates ALL disagreed.
I've yet to be proved wrong.
That's interesting. I suppose I should still be open to the possibility that they are just slightly misaligned. I can't discount that. Although now after my visit with the optometrist it seems that my right eye and does have a couple of issues that are probably the source of the pain. Even though I am going to do these exercises for my right eye maybe I should still get the binoculars checked at some point.

Re.post 43.

That is what I expected from the optometrist.

I expected it to be a muscle issue as the retina itself doesn't, I think, have pain receptors.

General tiredness is also a feature, and just over use of eyes.

Regarding bright light.
It may be worth using good quality sunglasses on bright days.

Polarising filters or ND filters might be useful on binoculars sometimes to counteract glare.

However, if the pupils dilate then this may not be ideal.
One has to try them.

The Barr and Stroud old military binocular had ND, yellow and another filter on a rotating filter wheel, including clear glass so as to keep the optical path the same.
Coloured filters are not good for bird watching.

Resting eyes for ten minutes in the dark might help.
With gradual introduction to light.
Or maybe 5 minutes an hour rests.
Both with computer screen and binocular use.

0.5 dioptres of astigmatism is not much, although 0.75 dioptres begins to be a problem.

Presumably the optometrist did an eye pressure test also.

As one gets older accommodation decreases.

Regards,
B.

Re.post 43.

That is what I expected from the optometrist.

I expected it to be a muscle issue as the retina itself doesn't, I think, have pain receptors.

General tiredness is also a feature, and just over use of eyes.

Regarding bright light.
It may be worth using good quality sunglasses on bright days.

Polarising filters or ND filters might be useful on binoculars sometimes to counteract glare.

However, if the pupils dilate then this may not be ideal.
One has to try them.

The Barr and Stroud old military binocular had ND, yellow and another filter on a rotating filter wheel, including clear glass so as to keep the optical path the same.
Coloured filters are not good for bird watching.

Resting eyes for ten minutes in the dark might help.
With gradual introduction to light.
Or maybe 5 minutes an hour rests.
Both with computer screen and binocular use.

0.5 dioptres of astigmatism is not much, although 0.75 dioptres begins to be a problem.

Presumably the optometrist did an eye pressure test also.

As one gets older accommodation decreases.

Regards,
B.
That's interesting. I didn't know that about pain receptors and the retina.

And that's a good idea about good sunglasses. I'm thinking since good polarized that spey of wrap around the side of the eyes a bit.

I inquired about contact for the astigmatism but she says contacts aren't corrective until you get to 0.75 so it will have to be glasses.

They did do a pressure test and that came out with a healthy result.

Thank you for the advice. I think I will start taking more breaks with my work, too, since that will likely help reduce the overall strain and fatigue.

I just want to go out and use my binoculars! I suppose I should take at least a day off.

Thank you for your input and suggestions, by the way!

I think you should do two things:
1. stop fiddling with the diopter, set it and leave it alone.
2. stop “fighting” the diopter by using your accommodation muscles.

Just as Bill has said.

I think you should do two things:
1. stop fiddling with the diopter, set it and leave it alone.
2. stop “fighting” the diopter by using your accommodation muscles.

Just as Bill has said.
Hey, thank you for that advice, Maljunlo. I think I will set it and forget it as you recommend. It seems fiddling too much will only lead to further frustration and strain.

I was suffering with eye strain using binoculars which caused no eye strain to other observers...

It was a tough pill to swallow, but it had to be the observer than the instrument...

I set out to find the potential cause and fix for the issues that I experienced...

I used to find that all binoculars that caused eyestrain, suddenly became relaxing to use when I used them with the eyecups all the way down and resting the top of the eyecups against my brow....

I was fooled into thinking by most binocular user manuals that eye cups should be all the way out for use without glasses...

alas, I found the source of my issue...

Facial features mean that if I jam my eyesockets into the eyecups, my eyes do not see straight down the centre of the optical train...

I've had to learn to use every single binocular I've owned since this revelation, the eyecup position, IPD adjustment, Diopter adjustment, all become easy to set, once you learn the "Bill Cook Staring Thing"

When you are in perfect position, CA disappears, eyes relax and focussing becomes very easy on image detail.

Hope this helps.

Silent Observer.

I was suffering with eye strain using binoculars which caused no eye strain to other observers...

It was a tough pill to swallow, but it had to be the observer than the instrument...

I set out to find the potential cause and fix for the issues that I experienced...

I used to find that all binoculars that caused eyestrain, suddenly became relaxing to use when I used them with the eyecups all the way down and resting the top of the eyecups against my brow....

I was fooled into thinking by most binocular user manuals that eye cups should be all the way out for use without glasses...

Facial features mean that if I jam my eyesockets into the eyecups, my eyes do not see straight down the centre of the optical train...

I've had to learn to use every single binocular I've owned since this revelation, the eyecup position, IPD adjustment, Diopter adjustment, all become easy to set, once you learn the "Bill Cook Staring Thing"

When you are in perfect position, CA disappears, eyes relax and focussing becomes very easy on image detail.

Hope this helps.

Silent Observer.
Very good point!

Try a porro binocular and see if you get eye pain. I find them in general to be a more relaxing view and cause less eye strain than most roofs, especially cheap roofs.
Any recommendations on a decent porro that won't break the bank? It is interesting to hear that they seem to be easier on the eyes.

Hope this helps.

Silent Observer.
That is interesting to read. I think I will have to give that a try. So far using them I have the eye cups about halfway out. But I can try to set them down flush and see how that goes. That's great that result the eye strain that you were experiencing!

That is interesting to read. I think I will have to give that a try. So far using them I have the eye cups about halfway out. But I can try to set them down flush and see how that goes. That's great that result the eye strain that you were experiencing!
Hey akadius, If I had an NL Pure, I would have taken it to a shop to try the forehead rest...

You may find that if you use the forehead rest and set the eyecups for minimal contact with your eye sockets, you will be able to get a comfortable view. I think that is the main purpose of the forehead rest anyway.... its worth a shot.

Hey akadius, If I had an NL Pure, I would have taken it to a shop to try the forehead rest...

You may find that if you use the forehead rest and set the eyecups for minimal contact with your eye sockets, you will be able to get a comfortable view. I think that is the main purpose of the forehead rest anyway.... its worth a shot.
I would like to try the forehead rest. That's a good idea. Unfortunately there's nowhere nearby that carries it. Too bad they didn't come with the forehead rest. I'm considering ordering it. So if I do I'll report back and write my experience with it. Thank you!

I also agree that the view with the head rest is more relaxing. Not just because it is steadier, and therefore more mellow, but the whole contact with your face is spread out and so the pressure in any one place is lessened.

I've really enjoyed using it. Even though I have the 8x I have found a steadiness benefit that has allowed more detail in observation. Because of that I feel like my eyes relax more easily and have a more neutral view.

I also agree that the view with the head rest is more relaxing. Not just because it is steadier, and therefore more mellow, but the whole contact with your face is spread out and so the pressure in any one place is lessened.

I've really enjoyed using it. Even though I have the 8x I have found a steadiness benefit that has allowed more detail in observation. Because of that I feel like my eyes relax more easily and have a more neutral view.
Thank you for posting that. Given the good feedback I'm hearing about the forehead rest even with the 8x model, I am now heavily considering ordering that tonight or tomorrow. I feel like it is a bit overpriced, but I suppose it will be worth it for the reasons you've given. Have you tried 10x or 12x NL Pures by any chance, Sequoia Kid? Also, how are you liking your 8x42s?

Thank you for posting that. Given the good feedback I'm hearing about the forehead rest even with the 8x model, I am now heavily considering ordering that tonight or tomorrow. I feel like it is a bit overpriced, but I suppose it will be worth it for the reasons you've given. Have you tried 10x or 12x NL Pures by any chance, Sequoia Kid? Also, how are you liking your 8x42s?

I agree that it is pricy, Swarovski and all, but it does do what they say it does in my opinion, and I do really like things that works as they should.

I tried the 10x before I settled on the 8x, but they didn't quite agree with me. Not quite as 3 dimensional a view and a little harder to watch fast moving birds in the forest. Even though it has quite a wide FOV, the bit more magnification made it feel like the view was moving a lot faster when you follow something and it made it a little uncomfortable. The 8x are so chilled out.

I am really enjoying them, and really couldn't be happier. They make me smile every time I use them, and though that sounds like BS it is actually true.

Glasses/contacts or lazer surgery are the normal treatments. Obviously try other binoculars, but if you get the same issues with multiple pairs it might be astigmatism. Often with a slight astigmatism it only causes eye strain when you've been staring a lot - it's common for heavy computer users for example.
She also said I do have a slight astigmatism in my right eye, 0.5. So that also could be causing a bit of a strain on my right eye with a binoculars as well. I don't know if that level of astigmatism would cause strain with a binoculars but I also am going to try glasses with them at some point too. Hopefully the exercises will be enough to help as I would prefer not to have to wear glasses each time I go out looking for birds but I will if that's what needs to happen.
I had astigmatism corrected with Lasik surgery and it made my eyes much more enjoyable to use. When it became evident was when I told the doctor that everything seemed in focus, but just had a little bit of a greasy look through one eye. Sure enough, astigmatism to blame, but now gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back