• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Curlew or Whimbrel? Tajikistan (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
I took these photos yesterday in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. As it flew by, my thought was, "THAT's a beefy bird." I thought that distinguishing Curlew and Whimbrel would prove easier than it has for me...looking for input here from anyone who has experience with the two. There are no eBird records for either species in Tajikistan, although looking at surrounding countries, it looks like Eurasian Curlew would be the expected species now.

Attachments

• DSCN9984curlew.JPG
    DSCN9984curlew.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN9985curlew.JPG
    DSCN9985curlew.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN9986curlew.JPG
    DSCN9986curlew.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN9987curlew.JPG
    DSCN9987curlew.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 63
I'd go for Whimbrel.
I wouldn't be surprised if they pass through.
I agree, although difficult to tell with this set. The face pattern can't be seen well enough. The bill seems to have the 'straight then drop' of this species rather than the progressive curve of a curlew. The whole of the primaries on the upper wing are dark, whilst on curlew the inner primaries should be paler.

I'd go for Whimbrel.
I wouldn't be surprised if they pass through.
They surely do pass through. There are records from surrounding countries, just not as many as for Eurasian Curlew and not in the past 30 days, whereas there are Eurasian Curlew records from both north and south within the past month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back