• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Ibis Identification - Cancun, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Both the OPs have bright red eyes
I disagree with this. As I've said above, I'd go for reddish-brown or red-brown - and...
eye looks brown in the last shot.
Anyway, as we know, iris colour in anything can be pretty individually/seasonally/etc/etc variable - so no big deal (except that I certainly disagree that this bird's is 'bright red').

Good moult gen (y)

Regardless of age, I think the OPs are almost certainly White-faced - the key criteria here being the diagnostic red irises.
Me too. As we've both said before. And I agree about the key criterion.

I think this is one bird (at least that is what I understand from the OPs observations.

Therefore, we have to go with the eye colour that is receiving the most light, which looks quite red to me bearing in mind we are looking at a non-breeding plumage.
B8EF75B7-36B4-4BD9-8A20-61DEBA6D1347.jpeg
Just comparing a few online, it seems the intensity of red is variable in adults - recognised factors for intraspecific changes in birds include not only maturation but also changes during the non-breeding period v mating season. Sexual dimorphism could also effect eye colour intensity but without further resource material, all that’s just conjecture of course but the eye certainly looks duller in imm/adult non-breeding plumage

It is worth reiterating some of the other plumage features of 1w birds that seem to be lacking in this OP bird (as well as my notes on moult on the previous page)
Some good background ID notes and images of a typical 1st Winter November, White-faced Ibis here
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2019/wfibis.htm.
  • note the rust brown irises
  • greenish plumage (lacking the rusty scaps
  • pale cheek patch
  • worn/faded primaries
Also compare a 1w Glossy Ibis (29th November further down the page on the above link and note how dark that individual is still too)

Last edited:
go with the eye colour that is receiving the most light
I definitely agree. But this one still doesn't look, to me, 'bright red' (I had already viewed the photo that big). Your new alternative 'quite red' is vaguer than I should like, but more nearly-acceptable - in my opinion.

intensity of red is variable in adults - recognised factors for intraspecific changes in birds include not only maturation but also changes during the non-breeding period v mating season. Sexual dimorphism could also effect eye colour intensity
Exactly so. As I (more-or-less) indicated above.

(y)

intensity of red is variable in adults - recognised factors for intraspecific changes in birds include not only maturation but also changes during the non-breeding period v mating season. Sexual dimorphism could also effect eye colour intensity
Exactly so. As I (more-or-less) indicated above.
My understanding is that white-faced ibis has a red(dish) iris at all ages
Apologies, I misunderstood your earlier post πŸ‘

Thanks to everyone who commented. I have a better appreciation now for how difficult some of these identifications can be. I just wish that the eBird reviewer who classified my photos as 'unconfirmed' had communicated their rationale to me - so that I could understand their position and so that I could learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back