• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Eastern" Garden Warbler?, Worcs 10/11/17 (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
This first winter Garden Warbler has been present at Upton Warren NR, Worcestershire from the 7th to 10th November, the latest ever record for the site.

As is often with extremely late records of migrants in Britain, thoughts have turned as to whether this could potentially be of the eastern subspecies woodwardi. Can it be safely identified out of range in the field and if so, is this one?

Photos courtesy of Vern Wright.

Attachments

• DSC_9156.jpg
    DSC_9156.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_9146.jpg
    DSC_9146.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 110
Phil,

Firstly your bird looks in rather poor condition with feather loss in the lores and around the eyes (lacks white 'lids') and with what appears to be a small growth at the base of the bill.

IMO there is nothing to suggest woodwardi which I understand is both greyer above and whiter below i.e less saturated in brown/olive/buff tones than western population. It is also longer-winged which not much help here. In short see no reason why its not a rather worn/bleached individual which you might expect so late in the season.

Differences are clinal so I can't imaging any committee would consider them diagnosable in the field out of range.

Grahame

Last edited:
Thanks Graham - I don't think anyone had seen any features in the field that did suggest woodwardi but with a lack of experience of that subspecies (and first winter Garden Warblers this late in the year generally) I thought it was worth posing the question to those more experienced.

Would agree that it doesn't look 100% although it has been happily flycatching and feeding on berries throughout its stay.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back