• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Didn't get past the back door! (1 Viewer)

aveschapines

Encantada de las avecitas que veo a diario.
Hi everyone,

I'm a new birder (bridwatcher?) and new to BirdForum. Like a previous poster in this thread, I didn't GO birdwatching today; but at least for now, watching out my back door keeps me plenty busy. Today, as is becoming common, I brought my breakfast to eat sitting on the back stoop because there were so many lovelies to see in the empty lot behind my house. Today I saw a Black and White Warbler (I don't see these too often so that was a real treat), a couple of Wilson's Warblers, a Townsend's Warbler, a Buff-Breasted Flycatcher, a Lesser Goldfinch, a Baltimore Oriole, a White-eared Hummingbird, a Rufous-Collared Sparrow (who appeared to have just come from one of my birdbaths), a couple of Rufous-Collared Robins, and of course Great-Tailed Grackles and House Sparrows. There must have been a meal in the mountains, too, because there was a large group of circling Black Vultures (they roost every day in a tree I can see from my apartment, but that circling flight is a sure sign of fresh food).

Not bad for 20 minutes sitting on the back porch with a cup of coffee! The Great-tailed Grackles have been taking turns in the birdbaths on my terrace all morning, and I hear warblers chirping constantly! Oh, and I don't even count the assorted pigeons that are always flying around.

Helen

Wow... I want a porch like that too! Sounds very relaxing and fun to watch birds that way. :)

I'll save a spot for you! I don't know why I wrote porch - it's actually just a doorway; but I have seen many species from there! It's great but makes it hard to get anything done sometimes.

Helen

That's a good day out considering you stayed in.

I remember when I lived in a house overlooking Radipole Lake and was planning to go birding. Ended up staying in listening to the match and having a couple of cups of coffee. 9 little egrets, 2 spoonbill, 20 scaup, 8 med gulls and a bittern later and I was glad I'd stayed in. No Townsend's oe Wilson's warblers though, so I think you win hands down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back