• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo? Cuckooshrike? Goa, January (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

When I saw this bird briefly in a treetop in open woodland in Goa a couple of weeks ago I thought it was a juv. grey-bellied cuckoo. Now that I'm home and on my computer I realise it's not (no barring under tail etc). With hindsight I also feel that it was too small.

I'm now thinking black-headed cuckooshrike, but it doesn't look quite right for that either, going off my field guide, although it doesn't show a juvenile.

What is it?

Attachments

• IMG_6654-800web.jpg
    IMG_6654-800web.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6655-800web.jpg
    IMG_6655-800web.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 55
Weird-looking bird in some kind of transitional plumage. My first thought was Violet Cuckoo but that would have strong barring on the belly and undertail. Black-headed Cuckooshrike looks much more likely, especially as it has the rather swollen-looking undertail coverts of that species, but the bill colour and dark patches on the back don't look quite right.

Weird-looking bird in some kind of transitional plumage. My first thought was Violet Cuckoo but that would have strong barring on the belly and undertail. Black-headed Cuckooshrike looks much more likely, especially as it has the rather swollen-looking undertail coverts of that species, but the bill colour and dark patches on the back don't look quite right.

I think at least some of the dark patches are shadows of leaves. Here is another shot to compare the pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_6650-800bforum.jpg
    IMG_6650-800bforum.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30

Your thought pattern mirrored mine exactly Andy.

A

The new image looks even odder. I think some of the apparent dark patches are either the shadow of leaves being cast onto the bird, or the result of the photographer shooting through leaves. I still can't explain the oddly warm coloration on the upperparts. I think though that with that mouthful of rictal bristles, it must be the Cuckooshrike. Or is that a barred throat? I give up.

This is what an immature should look like though. Where's the dark eyestripe and/or supercilium?

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2301&Bird_Image_ID=130040

I sent the photo to India and just had it confirmed a few minutes ago as a female black-headed cuckooshrike. The warm cast to the photo was a result of early morning light from a low sun (08.40am) and the apparent dark patches are shadows cast by the leaves (the leaves also gave problems with focusing on this active bird in the few seconds it was in view).

Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back