• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crab Plovers, Kilifi Creek? (1 Viewer)

redeyedvideo

It's like water off a duck's back!
I'm off to Kenya in a few weeks time staying around Kilifi. Does anyone know what the birding's like and do Crab Plovers occur in the area or will a trip up to Mida Creek be necessary?

Any other info gratefully received.

I'm off to Kenya in a few weeks time staying around Kilifi. Does anyone know what the birding's like and do Crab Plovers occur in the area or will a trip up to Mida Creek be necessary?

Any other info gratefully received.

You could contact Mike Davidson in the Kenya threads.

John.

Hi Dave,

I've no experience of Kilifi but making the journey to Mida creek is very worthwhile -it's about a 1 hour drive north of Kilifi.

You should also contemplate a visit to Arabuko-Sokoke forest if possible (90 mins drive north). Contact David Ngala or Willy @ Spinetail Safaris ( http://www.assets-kenya.org/spinetailsafaris.htm ). The birding in the A-S forest is superb -I spent one & a half days in the A-S forest with David Ngala & saw the 'special stuff' -he was so good that he managed to get me into situations where we were able to take images of Sok-Pipit, Sok-Scops, Clarke's Weaver & Amani sunbird (some of the first images ever of the sunbird). I had an amazing time at A-S & would thoroughly recommend it.
I have some info here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/coastal_kenya

If you do visit Mida creek -arrange it so that you arrive on an incoming tide (it's worth spending 2-3hrs there leaving on the high tide). The tide table for Malindi will act as an approximate guide ( http://www.myforecast.com/bin/tide_extended.m?city=69532&metric=false&tideLocationID=T1324 ).

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I had seen your excellent photo's of Crab Plover and other Kenyan birds while planning my trip to the area and wondered how you got those low shots. I like filming from a low angle which didn't look possible from the boardwalk hide at Mida Creek.

I've been in communication with Caroline Lumosi, manager at FoASF about visiting and becoming a Friend when I didn't receive a reply to my e-mail to Spinetail Safaris. I've been an avid reader of David Ngala's blog recently and I hope to meet the great man when I visit.

Did you manage to see Golden-rumped Ele.....just checked your website and answered my own question!!! This is one of my most sought after species in the forest. How difficult was it?

Any details of costs would help as I read one report where the author only managed one afternoon visit to the forest due to the expense. (Hotel taking their cut perhaps?)

The tide table link is very useful too, thanks. :t:

Hi Dave,
I do agree that at some point you could not be able to visit more places due to cost but this is after and if you book your tour with hotels. Ofcourse when you do it directly with david Ngala you should get some discount there but if a second part comes in you will have to pay for it. At mida creek there will be no doubt of getting this Crab plovers in plenty. If Not ask David Ngala if you can do Sabaki River Mouth you should also and few more good stuff down there.

I have seen Steve provide you with David and Willy e-mail. At this point Can I help you with David Ngala Cell Phone. +254-734-656210. You should get him as he know the forest in and out and has been a forest ranger in the same forest that why??

Hope you get him.
Regards
Joseph Mwangi http://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com
birdguide Nairobi

Many thanks Joseph,

How are things in Kenya, are more visitors returning? What are the best months to visit? There doesn't seem to be many reports for November.

Dave, Thanks for your question. Things are back to normal in terms of peace and tranquility and toursit have started trinkling slow by slow. If you are on birding then this is the best months to be in Kenya. November up to March is excellent for any birding safari as you will have sunny and few rains here and there and birds are very active. On the other hand we have all this migrants from Europe and far East siberia coming in to summer in Africa and at this time most favours Kenya as this destination for feeding. They the fly all the way to South Africa and back the same route by early April. The reason why you do not get alot of November trip is because you are restricted to coastal area which is warm at this time. In fact we do every year a trip in Kenya between 2-19th of each year and our trip reports are on this page http://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com/safaris/birding/NWS008.htm with 10days extension to the coast. Please note last 2007 November the participants did not write a trip report and I joseph as guide am not entitle to write a trip report as per our policy because I could exagerate, we therefore recommend client who participant to write the report and is posted as it is with their contact on each report.
Am support to leave on coming mond for this scheduled tour again up to 19th and if I get good things to say I will let member to know but again I do not want to be seen like am miss using this forum.

Regards
birdguide Nairobi

Dave, Thanks for your question.
Am support to leave on coming mond for this scheduled tour again up to 19th and if I get good things to say I will let member to know but again I do not want to be seen like am miss using this forum.

Regards
birdguide Nairobi

Joseph,

I'm pleased things are getting back to normal and thanks for answering my questions.

You would not be miss-using the forum as it would be beneficial to anyone planning a visit including myself.

If you don't feel it is appropriate to write a full report you could post the highlights and a few photo's which I'm sure would be acceptable. I know I'm not the only one who would love to read your report on the birds you see.

I look forward to reading it when I return from my trip, I'm sure there will be good things to say. Thanks for the link, I'll read the report now.

Last edited:
Hello Dave,
Great to hear you are off to kenya,I once got to Mida creek for waders and crab plovers are a common place during low tide,evening mostly.
You will have great time linking with the seasoned guide " David Ngala'
All the best

Moses-Birding club of lake baringo,kenya

To contact David
[email protected]
+254734652610

Hi Dave,

Sorry I can't remember exactly what I paid. I organised it directly with David -but he is a hard man to get hold of. I initially bombarded his mobile with text messages & eventually he phoned me (in the middle of the night -whilst I was still in the UK) -we struggled to communicate by phone due to my thick Scots accent but I eventually managed to arrange a meet at our hotel at the start of our first week before we went off on safari.

Everything I arranged with David happened as planned or better.

I think he charged £25 for a half day -which with David can be 6-7 hrs!! ;) . I remember thinking it was very cheap for the effort he put in & for the results we obtained BUT you will need transport over & above this as he doesn't have his own vehicle - I think I paid £40 for a vehicle/driver over & above David's half day rate -the full day rates were pro-rata (with a 20% reduction I think-????). What I do remember is that I took £500 on the holiday to cover all birding costs but ended up using some of this to cover my son's diving costs. I was so impressed with David that we met up for lunch before I flew back home & I gave him what was left of my 'birding fund' (£80-£90) -all in all I did a full days birding @ Sabaki, a late afternoon at Mida Creek (July/August is the worst time of year for birding here but I still saw plenty of good birds), a day & a half at Arabuko-Sokoke (the half day was 7am -3pm!!!) & an extra evening at A-S for the Scops Owl. Though I can't remember exactly I think about £250 covered all this (including entry into A-S forest which is a National Park) -but of course most of that money was for covering the transport costs with David's take being under £100. To put things into perspective his rates are significantly less than Gambian bird guides, his bush skills much better & the birds are in a different league.

David knows the A-S forest like the back of his hand as do his colleagues Willy & Albert. If you struggle to contact them before you leave for Kenya try to organise your holiday to free up time for birding nearer the end (in the 2nd week if your going for two) as it is fairly easy to contact at least one of the Spinetails guys by phone whilst in Kenya & usually one of them will be available to take you out -as mentioned above transport is the big problem however.

Re Mida creek -I didn't bother with the boardwalk -I just went onto the mud & got pretty dirty -it was great! Going in Novemebr you should see lots of Crab Plovers as well as other good Palearctic waders & supporting cast. Our trip to Mida was initially problematic as the transport 'packed-in' so David & I flagged-down a bush-taxi -cramming a 6ft 3in 18 stone Scotsman with a ton of photo-gear into a minibus designed for 11 but already seating 18 was quite a feat -it ony cost about 10 pence to make the 30 minute trip so perhaps a bush-taxi from Kilifi to Mida is the answer -just make sure you leave a half day in advance.

Re seeing Sengi -if you can get to the 'gallery' forest zone just after first light then you should see them -they are absolutely fantastic creatures but are very difficult to approach closely.

My time in A-S was simply a series of photo-opportunities with new birds coming thick & fast. My first priority was to get a good look at each new bird followed by a record shot & then subsequently repositioning to try & get reasonable quality images. We saw far more than I got images of -eg Four-coloured Bush-Shrike, various Greenbuls, Fischer's Turaco, Narina Trogon, Thick-billed Cuckoo, Spotted Ground Thrush (poor view), East-coast Akalat (poor view) and brief views of Southern Banded Snake-Eagle & African Crowned Eagle (very brief glimpse & saw the nest). I did get the feeling from David that I had been very lucky as we saw far more in a day & half than I ever dreamed of but it also seems that July is a good time for forest birding in A-S.

I'll try to look out my old notes for the trip -I may have scribbled down the exact costs somewhere. If there is anything else I can help with please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Steve

Hello Dave,
You will have great time linking with the seasoned guide " David Ngala'
All the best

Moses-Birding club of lake baringo,kenya

To contact David
[email protected]
+254734652610

Thank you for confirming David's number, it's great to hear everyone having so much respect for him.

Dave,
Thanks for building such a strong confidence to me. I thought that others on the forum may not like it as others have seen and participated always limit the context of what you have to write. Anyway I shall do something once am back.

Regards
birdguide Nairobi

I don't think anyone would object unless you were posting blatant adverts in which case the moderators would no doubt step in. ;)

I think he charged £25 for a half day -which with David can be 6-7 hrs!! .

To put things into perspective his rates are significantly less than Gambian bird guides, his bush skills much better & the birds are in a different league.

If there is anything else I can help with please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve, thanks for your very comprehensive reply.

That's good to hear, the report I read was 3 times that, and with a non-birding gf in tow £150 would be way above my limit for half a day and would have defeated the object of staying north of Mombasa specifically to visit the forest.

I think some of the Gambian guides are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market. I negotiated a reduce fee for my girlfriend but she wouldn't come with us again after he treated her with scorn.

Yes, there is one thing. Can I borrow your camera, you get some great pics ;);)

Last edited:
Mida creek is quite a heaven.I was there last week and its quite a wonderful place.Crab plover are in their large numbers.More species include-Eurasian curlew,whimbrel,bar tailled godwit e.t.c.Lake jilore on the other side of the forest was fantastic-open billed stork,fulvous ducks,African pigmy goose were great.Zanzibar bishops were also spectacular.
Arambuko sokoke forest guides are quite good.I have worked with Ngala and i would also Suggest Wilson.I worked with him last week and he is really super.Willi as we call him can be reached at +254723314416.

Nicky.

i would also Suggest Wilson.I worked with him last week and he is really super.Willi as we call him can be reached at +254723314416.

Nicky.

Thanks Nicky, I have been in contact with Willy by e-mail and I hope to try out the skills of the Spinetail Safaris crew in the not too distant future. :t:

Attachments

• crabplovers.jpg
    crabplovers.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 166
Dave

you will have seen my regular threads about Kenya I post in birds and birding . I have been out regularly with Joseph [natures wonderland safaris] , a very good friend and also Brian Finch and Fleur Ngweno , all very seasoned birders . Brian is on a tour with clients and saw 700 Amur Falcons flying over in Amboseli !

I think I have been with Ngala and crew 3/4 times and they have never disappointed . That area of A-Sokoke forest , Mida Creek , and Sabaki river mouth and it never disapponts . I am due another trip there soon to pick up the ones that got away !!!

We are all going next weekend to Ngulia lodge in tsavo to see the fantastic birdringing there , and then onto Lake Jipe on the Kenya/Tanzania border .

Mike Davidson in Nairobi
Thanks Nicky, I have been in contact with Willy by e-mail and I hope to try out the skills of the Spinetail Safaris crew in the not too distant future. :t:

Dave,
am back from the 17 days birding tour and we had a wonderful birding time and below are some of the comments that I sent to Kenya birds net which tracks about kenya birders view on the field.We did saw some fantastic species and which I will upload photos if possible to see what others have to say. We saw over 450 species though we could have seen more than this the clients were aged and we opted to take it easy but what a tour we had!!

Dear All birders,
My names are Joseph and a bird guide with Nature's Wonderland Safaris and over the Novermber period I have been out with some birding clients for about 17 days within Kenya. Although these birders are old we did not do intensive--- Hardcore birding with them and ofcourse most brown and small birds were a bit difficult for them to locate. Nevertheless it was the most enjoyeable tours and adventurous tour I might have been on for almost 11yrs of my birding experience. I shall not be able to write an account of each day tour Like my top notch birder Brian Finch (I respect his write up) but I have thought we should share with you the few exciting moments that we have encountered on the tour with dates Higlighted.
on 2nd November we visited Thika sewage ponds as part of pre-tour and very interesting to see at this ponds were the Ringed Plover about (10), reported sometime back by Brian Finch One Gargernay and 1 Nothern shoveler, 4 Southern Pochards and finally 1 lone Long Toed Plover-- pictures available.

0n 3rd November we visited Blue Post and at a suprise 1 Purple Crested Turaco within the compounds last time I saw this birds was 1997 when I was still Fluer pupil at the same ground, we finsihed with a surprise of Trumpeter hornbill Nesting on it usual tree those who know it will understand. We continued to Mountain Lodge only to arrive and spot over 1st Migrant at the lodge water Hole of 1 Black Stork that overnight there until 4 morning.

On 7th November we arrived at Nakuru in the evening and the next day birding we got a surprise of Collared Pranticole that was looking Juv. on the lake shore clear photo available for this first for me to record here.

On 9th November we proceed to Baringo and on the morning of 10th birding at Baringo cliff we saw a Denham's Bustard and flew towards the Lake side-- no photo for this available again would be a first time record here. We continued the next morning with birding at the lake shore and here our surprise was a plover that looked like a Lesser Sandplover Image avialabe and soon I get them from the client will send them over on this forum.

On 13th we were at Mara and our first bird here was Eurassian Hobby female roosting and the next surprise was a Black billed Barbet which is limited to Kisumu and western Kenya (photo available) and last but not the least was 3 Rufous Tailed Weaver that have never been recorded in Kenya but only limited to Northern Tanzania and has never crossed over to Kenya. Photos aviailable and we saw this on the hills behind the KWS research station and Mara Sarova Camp on the afternoon of 15th November 2008.

Finally today 14th November we did a short visit to Gatamaiyu Forest to look for Abbot Starling at around 1630hrs we failed to find this bird at the same tree it was report seen breeding and which we saw on 10th October 2008 and when we were about to give-up on our way back they surprise us by roosting infront of our at dry tree on different locations and the arrived in a bird hunting party of Sharpe's Starling, White headed Wood Hoope, Mountain Oriole, Fine banded Wood Pecker and the 2 male and female Abbot Starling so hope still high on this species in this forest. We finished up with 2 Black Throated Apalis nesting on the Cyprus trees on the fence at the fishing Camp office.

I may not have written a good write-up as other as 17 days would bore most readys but though this highlight are worth. I shall be willing to supply the images of any mentioned above soon I get them in 2 days time from the clients.

Wishing you all an exciting birding times!!!

Regards
Joseph

That area of A-Sokoke forest , Mida Creek , and Sabaki river mouth and it never disapponts . I am due another trip there soon to pick up the ones that got away !!!

We are all going next weekend to Ngulia lodge in tsavo to see the fantastic birdringing there , and then onto Lake Jipe on the Kenya/Tanzania border .

Mike Davidson in Nairobi

Hi Mike,

They all got away for me! Crab Plover on the way up at Mida Creek & Golden-rumped Sengi saved the day.

I stayed at Mwamba in Watamu and was lucky to meet Colin Jackson before he left for the ringing session in Tsavo. I suggested he reports on the ringing recoveries on ABC which I'm sure will make very good reading. I'll watch out for your updates on Birds & birding.

Dave,
am back from the 17 days birding tour and we had a wonderful birding time and below are some of the comments that I sent to Kenya birds net
Regards
Joseph [/COLOR]

Joseph, great report and some enviable birds. It may be best to post on the Birds & Birding thread so more people get to read it.

I didn't see Crab Plover during my time at Mnarani (Kilifi) but the first bird I saw before my camera equipment was unpacked was a Yellowbill :eek!: an almost mythical bird for me.

A few of the highlights; me and my camera etc. :-O B :) A room mate at Ziwani & a fascinating leaf-hopper, can anyone name it for me?

Attachments

• ab.jpg
    ab.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 164
  • abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 190
  • abcd.jpg
    abcd.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 173
  • abcde.jpg
    abcde.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 158
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back