• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Seabirds (1 Viewer)

prhodes

I have a few day spare in mid August (12-15th), and noting that there are no trips available with Paul Penzance, Mermaid II in this week (I understand you must have many other commitments Paul), just wondered what my best option might be.

There are pelagic boat trips are available out of Falmouth in this week, but perhaps only limited chances of scarcer seabirds, or maybe the best option is to go for a return trip on the Scillonian.

Any advice appreciated. Kind Regards, Phil

Hi Phil

Nothing planned yet for that week out of Penzance though as the trips already planned are filling up we may arrange something nearer the time. Most likely the Saturday 17th I'm afraid.

As for the Scillonian I work onboard every Wednesday and at times can produce some good seabirds. I regularly get Poms, Balearics and Sooties and have recorded Cory's, Great Shearwater and Long-tailed Skua.

cheers
Paul Semmens

Hi Phil

Nothing planned yet for that week out of Penzance though as the trips already planned are filling up we may arrange something nearer the time. Most likely the Saturday 17th I'm afraid.

As for the Scillonian I work onboard every Wednesday and at times can produce some good seabirds. I regularly get Poms, Balearics and Sooties and have recorded Cory's, Great Shearwater and Long-tailed Skua.

cheers
Paul Semmens

Thanks Paul,

Really appreciated. I'll keep an I out for any updates, and thanks for the information. Exciting stuff.

Kind regards, Phil Rhodes

Presume you'll be checking out Porthgwarra/Pendeen depending on weather conditions anyway?

The Falmouth trips are of course slightly further up the channel, but untested at that time of year, so you just don't know ...

Hi Dantheman, I presume the best location for a sea watch depends on wind direction, and a good clue is to keep an eye on where birders are reporting any sightings from, should the weather become suitable? Any tips appreciated.

Regards, Phil

Hi Dantheman, I presume the best location for a sea watch depends on wind direction, and a good clue is to keep an eye on where birders are reporting any sightings from, should the weather become suitable? Any tips appreciated.

Regards, Phil

General rule of thumb is Porthgwarra with a southerly element and Pendeen with a northerly element.

Regards, Phil

Have a look at this site, in particular the list of sites on left of page, it will give you some idea of the best sea-watching sites and best weather conditions as to where to visit.
Could do well for Cory's etc in August.

http://www.sennen-cove.com/birds.htm

good luck

Thank guys, I must admit a bit of a gap in my birding experience, so looking forward to trying out this whole angle to our fascinating hobby.

Thanks again, Phil

Personally wouldn't bother with a Scillonian crossing, unlikely to see anything too interesting I would've thought. A seawatch is by far your best bet; Porthgwarra in a southerly/south-westerly (and is pretty much the default location). Early mornings are best as by c11am the sun is to the south making viewing difficult. Views are often mid-range to distant at PG. What you ideally want is a strong SW'erly turning to a NW'erly. This is when Pendeen comes into its own. Birds are forced up past the tip of Cornwall into the Bristol channel area, and the pushed against the coast on their way back out by the NW wind, passing Pendeen. Views are better here but there isn't all that much point visiting in a wind with any southerly in it.

Your absolute best bet would be the Scilly pelagics, tho I guess these are out of the question.

D

Think you've got some good answers there!

Agree that actual seawatching is better than the Scillonian per se - although you can get lucky, and I've had some good birds from it too.

(If winds are dire and there's nothing happening from the headlands you may as well take the scillonian though - £35 (0r £30 if you can get a £5 off voucher), a couple of hours on the islands too, dolphins and chance of something.)

To get an idea of what winds are doing to bring birds into the area use magic seaweed

We've still got space on Weds 14th August. We are doing a range of trips through August and chumming off all of the longer 5 and 7 hour trips. Had some good early results with lots of stormies etc, so hopeful for august trips. Depending on the sea state we are going to be travelling out as far as time allows. So south of The Lizard. If winds from the west then we use the shelter of the Lizard. The trips are gradually filling up so be quick! For further info and dates etc SEE HERE

Last edited:
Sorry Paul, by the time I read your post, we'd already booked the Scillonian for Wednesday.

In any case I had a good trip:

Tuesday light NW breeze - Pendeen AM. Hundreds of Manx Shearwater, with several Balearic Shearwater with one of these close in, Great Skua.

Wednesday - Scillonian return. Several Storm Petrel, Ocean Sunfish and Risso's Dolphin. (A Fea's Petrel had been seen from Porthgwarra meaning I think, about a dozen birders for the next day and plenty of expert spotters)

Thursday light SW breeze - Porthgwarra all day. Several Balearic and Sooty Shearwaters. One Cory's Shearwater and 3 Great Shearwater. Numerous distant Storm Petrel, 1 Great Skua, 1 Basking Shark, 2 Chough (unfortunately no reappearance of the 'monster').

I can't thank all of those that helped with advice and expert identification enough. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Hope to advance to a few pelagic trips next year.

Regards, Phil.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back