• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

? chiffchaff, Hampshire (UK),30.03.2023 (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
This bird was recorded in southern Hampshire today (30.03.23) on a mobile phone.
I've converted it, split it into the two separate bursts of song, and put it into audacity to get waveform and spectogram.
It shows some similarities to the songs of Iberian Chiffchaff on xeno canto but I wonder if it is just a Common chiffchaff with an unusual song.

Attachments

• chiffchaff pt2.mp4
    506.4 KB
  • Chiffchaff pt1.mp4
    536.5 KB
Hello Paul,

interesting song. Tfs!

Like you I hope for more comments, my thoughts:
  • I have heard similar Common Chiffchaffs before: starting with a normal Chiffchaff song, than beginn to "stumble"
  • if I remember correctly, there are a few other threads here on BF with similar songs. They were identified as within variation for Common Chiffchaffs

This bird was recorded in southern Hampshire today (30.03.23) on a mobile phone.
I've converted it, split it into the two separate bursts of song, and put it into audacity to get waveform and spectogram.
It shows some similarities to the songs of Iberian Chiffchaff on xeno canto but I wonder if it is just a Common chiffchaff with an unusual song.
That’s not an uncommon song phrase for Common Chiffchaff, a sort of stuttering.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back