• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (7 Viewers)

2 Ringtails at Parkgate this afternoon and 2 Short Eared Owls at Burton Marsh. Shovellers and Shelducks on Decca Pools.

cheers.

New Brighton today Noon - 14.30

Sanderling (New Tick for me)
Turnstone
Red shank
Knot
Oystercatcher
Ring Plover (New tick for me)
Curlew
Herring Gull
LBB Gull
GBB Gull
Common Gull
Starling, Mags, Carrion, Rook etc

New Brighton today Noon - 14.30

Sanderling (New Tick for me)
Turnstone
Red shank
Knot
Oystercatcher
Ring Plover (New tick for me)
Curlew
Herring Gull
LBB Gull
GBB Gull
Common Gull
Starling, Mags, Carrion, Rook etc

Congrats on the Sanderling and Ringed Plover. |=)| I've yet to see Sanderling. Was watching my waders DVD the other evening and love the way Sanderling scurry along. I know the word 'cute' tends to be frowned on in the birding fraternity - but they definitely are! |:D|

There are a couple of RSPB wader events coming up around the Dee Estuary - 1 Nov at Flint Saltmarsh, 15 Nov at Hoylake. Might be fun - details here.

Hi inyoni

Thanks for the info. The couple of hours on New Brighton front were good, I saw a group of 6 SANDERLING and got pretty close too. I sat on the rocks watching them for a good 30 minutes and I doubt they looked at me once, the Knot stayed close to them aswell.
The Turnstone were even more freindly and came within 20feet without being overly wary!!

I may try the Flint event this weekend, although I have a walk planned so will see what the weather does.

Regards
Dave

Spent a short time at Woolston Eyes this afternoon - very quiet, water levels high. Saw a few of the usual suspects: Mallard, Tufties, Gadwall, Teal and a solitary Pochard. Also Buzzard and a kerfuffle of LTTs. Best was a group of 3 Bullfinches - the males looked a lovely toasty-warm colour on a chilly afternoon. |=)|

Redesmere & South Park Macclesfield

Had a quick run out hoping to see the 14 Goosander at South park Macclesfield, alas none their:C,
to make the journey worth while carried on to Redesmere hoping to catch them their......:C

Anyway the usual suspects were on the water:
Mallard
Tufted
Coot
Black Headed Gull
Canada
Pochard

Lots of Chaffinches in the surrounding headgerows and bushes.

More excitment back at home on my feeders!!

Got a spare day Friday any tips on a guaranteed good spotting day, dont mind driving 2 hours!!

Got a spare day Friday any tips on a guaranteed good spotting day, dont mind driving 2 hours!!

Ah, if only birding came with a guarantee - put me down for a guaranteed bittern please! |=)|

Flint Saltmarsh was quite good on Saturday. Got to see hundreds of Black-tailed Godwits coming in to roost. Saw them best when they were flying in - they rather blended into the saltmarsh once they'd landed. However we did see one fairly close up all by himself soon after we started the walk. Also lots of Knot and Dunlin - though could only really identify these by size and flying behaviour - and 3 Spotted Redshank. A few Curlews and Little Egrets. There were apparently hundreds of Pintail on the English side of the Dee Estuary, but they were so distant that they were really just blobs.

In the afternoon went over to Inner Marsh Farm for some sun (the Flint side rapidly turned cloudy and cold, so I was enviously gazing across at a sun-basking Wirral!). Saw 4 Whooper Swans, about 12 Pink Foots and a solitary Pintail. Also 2 Snipe very close to the hide which were good to watch for a while.

Might do Leighton Moss on Friday, although may opt to see what these Staffs folk get upto in Berryhill etc!! Just need directions now :)

may opt to see what these Staffs folk get upto in Berryhill etc!!

Yes, I'm learning to keep a watch on what's happening in neighbouring patches as well as our own - also in the UK County by County Index section: Manchester, Lancs. Have started gathering a list of reasonably nearby places to visit at some point - Pennington Flash, Wigan Flashes, Mere Sands Wood.

forecast doesn`t look good for friday but that can change. At least at Leighton Moss you can shelter in the hides. Stocks Reservoir isn`t too far away-there`s a new hide there and the surrounding woods is good for Green Woodpecker and Crossbills. It`s only a few miles past Dunsop Bridge which on a decent day can be outstanding for raptors.

cheers.

Found a Black redstart today whilst looking at the waders along the New brighton coast near Perch rock. It spent day around the first stone spit/groyne west of perch rock. First picked it up feeding along the beach and then lost to veiw, someone else had it later early afternoon and i saw it again at 4 before it flew south. I didn't see where it went so could still be around. Got some distant record shots and will post if worth it.

Gareth

Left Cheshire for a day in Silverdale plenty of Waterfowl on the main pools, Teal, Pintails, Pochard, Wigeon, Shellduck etc

Very short of waders, Godwits were too far out to be of great interest, Lapwings plentyful, the day ended with a Snipe which showed really close to the hide, although it was always part concealed by a clump of reed.

I got myself a few ticks.... Bullfinch(F), and I believe a Willow Tit.

The hightlight for me were the Bearded tits, hard to tell how many there were I guess 8-12, I caught them at 10.00am and they showed well.

Dave

Last 3 visits to NB didnt show any Leaches, nor the Manx`s for that matter, maybe just not looking up enough and in the right places

I took a walk round Neumann's Flash in Northwich today. Not much out of the ordinary, but an impressive sized flock of Teal, quite a few Shoveler and Gadwall, Redpoll, Green Woodpecker, Jay.

But most importantly was a win for the mighty Brewers at Northwich Victoria!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back