• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I get a hummingbird interested in my feeder outside a the second floor window (1 Viewer)

sundance1

Back story....daughter adversely afraid of birds. Yes we sought help via psychologists but not much progress to date.
Put up a bird feeder in front of my home office window on second floor and enjoyed close ups of so many different birds while I worked away.
A few months later house infested with mice because all the dropped seeds on the overhanging roof below the bird feeder.
Finally got the mice issue resolved. Mice are cute but not in the house.

So I thought maybe I could attract humming birds to a feeder outside the 2nd floor window...I tried last year with a simple hummingbird feeder but no luck.

Am I pipe dreaming?

Any thoughts/ ideas or comments on what I could potentially try to entice them to my window feeder?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Live in Montreal Quebec, Canada in a well tree'd and plentiful garden back yards.

Hi sundance and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Yes, I think TFM is right in that approach. It could still take a while though, but eventually they'll spot the upper feeder. It might be an idea to slightly offset them, so the lower one doesn't get a lot of droppings on it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I live in an apartment on the ground floor and have a neighbor above me. We both have hummingbird feeders. They visit both places and have made nests in both places (on our patios). We are in Southern California.

Personally, I was a bit concerned about the hummingbird feeders with metal on them. The metal is not stainless, and I could never find a description of what the metal was. I have seen some that looked pitted and I worried about that. I use First Nature. They are BPA free and are very easy to clean. Amazon has them and they are not expensive. The base is red. I have three of them and fill them every three days to make sure the nectar is clean. I use the Audubon recommended formula. When I go to Mexico to stay on my boat, I take the feeders down. Last year, an Allen's hummer made a nest on my patio, so I planted more sages to provide food for her (although most of my neighbors have feeders too). I already had some native sages, but I planted some annual sages to augment my Cleveland sage. The only problem with my feeders is that the orioles, Orange-crowned Warblers and Yellow-rumped Warblers (in winter) land on them and sometimes tip them enough to spill a little. I got an oriole feeder, but the orioles won't go near it!:rolleyes:

My hummer had three clutches last year. Only one chick didn't make it.

Attachments

• DSC01912.JPG
    DSC01912.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 6
  • s.clevelandii.JPG
    s.clevelandii.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back