• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetail/robin sort? India (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
Among my short time at Lama Camp I had a few second glimpse at this fellow. It seemed much like a Himalayan bluetail but, well, without a blue tail. I'm not really confidently finding anything else with this colouration and "attitude".

original.jpeg

original.jpeg

Maybe a Shortwing?
I would say the tail is too long, as are the wings. The way it's pointing its wings downwards and cocking its tail reminds me of a Flycatcher. The throat is very white - could it be juvenile White-gorgeted? I can't find an image of one though.

I would say the tail is too long, as are the wings. The way it's pointing its wings downwards and cocking its tail reminds me of a Flycatcher. The throat is very white - could it be juvenile White-gorgeted? I can't find an image of one though.
Possibly, top image here is not a million miles away?

The throat is very white - could it be juvenile White-gorgeted? I can't find an image of one though.
Hi Andy B,

Grimmet et al 'Birds of India' has an illustration of juvenile, and I attach it here (3b). (I also couldn't find one online; and I agree with Butty that the photo linked by Andy A is not a juvenile).

I think you are probably right, because it looks way closer in colouration and posture than anything else in the books - but, of course, my opinion in this region is not worth much.

If it's juvenile, I would say it's part-way to adult. It has lost the flecking on the head, and I think you can see the black border to the white throat-patch starting to appear, but it still has the dark streaking on the chest.

Anyway, I hope this helps; and if it doesn't, then apologies in advance.

White-Gorgeted.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Andy B,

Grimmet et al 'Birds of India' has an illustration of juvenile, and I attach it here (3b). (I also couldn't find one online; and I agree with Butty that the photo linked by Andy A is not a juvenile).

I think you are probably right, because it looks way closer in colouration and posture than anything else in the books - but, of course, my opinion in this region is not worth much.

If it's juvenile, I would say it's part-way to adult. It has lost the flecking on the head, and I think you can see the black border to the white throat-patch starting to appear, but it still has the dark streaking on the chest.

Anyway, I hope this helps; and if it doesn't, then apologies in advance.
I don't recall stating that the image was of a juvenile, I was trying to illustrate the scalation which is not shown in any books I have.

Surely a moulting juvenile John with that extensive black scaling/streaking to the underparts.

Grahame
Personally I'm not confident about the age from these photos. I get the impression that the dark marks below are due to loose feathers on a fluffed-out bird revealing the bases of adjacent feathers, rather than an actual plumage pattern. I'd also expect to see paler speckling above on a juvenile flycatcher. But yes, it could be in post-juvenile moult.

Ok, I'm glad this wasn't one of those embarrassingly easy IDs. Makes me feel a bit better!! It was in early April if that helps.

Interesting regarding slaty-blue, the images I looked at did not have a pale throat, or if they had colour, it was more brown there. I'm also possibly noticing that white-gorgeted has a shorter tail more like my bird, rather than longer? But the proportions seem to favour slaty-blue with a "smaller" head.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back