• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding areas in vicinity of Lima (1 Viewer)

Around April 7-10th and around April 28th - May 1st I will be in Lima. I want to check out the city, but I want to bird as well. Any tips regarding birding in Lima itself or the close vicinity (if possible, also with tips how to get there) are very welcome. I do not have specific needs, but any tips on a pelagic or locations for seedsnipes are very welcome!

Around April 7-10th and around April 28th - May 1st I will be in Lima. I want to check out the city, but I want to bird as well. Any tips regarding birding in Lima itself or the close vicinity (if possible, also with tips how to get there) are very welcome. I do not have specific needs, but any tips on a pelagic or locations for seedsnipes are very welcome!

You could do worse than contact Gunnar Engblom in Peru. He organises pelagics out from near Lima and also days out land-birding from Lima.

Steve

i've never been but lomas de lachay and pantanos de villa are a couple of well known sites quite close to lima.
There are also some good high altitude sites relatively close in central peru, santa eulalia valley and marcapomacha etc.

if you can get hold of the thomas valqui site guide all the details are in there

cheers,
James

Lomas de Lachay is easy to visit from Lima, the bus goes right past. I'm afraid I can't remember where you catch it from but it's probably in the Footprints or LP guide. Just flag a bus down from the entrance when you want to go back. Take food and drink.

Thanks for the thumbs up Steve!
Pelagic planned for April 4 - but since there are no takers yet, we could well set another date. Will need minimum 4 people to run a pelagic at list price.

There is also a lot of site info and checklists on my general page about Birding Peru - http://www.birdingperu.com/peru/.

Lomas de Lachay is easy to visit from Lima, the bus goes right past. I'm afraid I can't remember where you catch it from but it's probably in the Footprints or LP guide. Just flag a bus down from the entrance when you want to go back. Take food and drink.

About 5 years ago I took the bus to Lomas de Lachay from Lima and wouldn't recommend it.
Firstly, the bus driver didn't know where it was so we had to keep an eye open for it ourselves, and it wasn't that obvious.
Secondly, it's a longish walk from the road to the visitors centre (and back later), about two kilometres (?) - not too nice if it's hot
Thirdly, we were worried that the bus might be full when we wanted to return, or that not many buses would be willing to stop, so we called a friend in Lima to come and pick us up

A little late (but I was travelling myself).
First and foremost: I hope you have the site guide of Valqui to provide you with some inspiration.
The site I would recommend highly is Marco-pomacochas, at least if you are not doing there afterwards when leaving the city. Here you can see White-bellied Cinclodes and Diademed Sandpiper-plover.
Lomas de Lachay is not that hard to reach. Take any northbound bus along the Panamericana and get out after approx. 1.5-2 hrs. The reserve is indicated, and the walk is not that long for a young guy that has a lot of energy to see some good new birds.
Last, Pantanos de Villa are good for e.g. if you have two half days to spend. From the center of Lima, you can do this in 3-4 hrs for a quick visit. Spending the whole day is probably not a bad idea, but I found it not the most inspiring place to go birdwatching in Peru.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back