• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird : The definitive visual guide book (1 Viewer)

Marmot

Just been having a look on the Book People website and found this one.

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/weba...product_10001_10051_88195_100_48103__category_

Here is the write up
"The beauty and drama of the avian world brought to breathtaking life. From hummingbirds weighing less than a coin to monkey-eating eagles this is a unique celebration of birds, photographed and studied in their natural environments around the world. Explore the complete bird story: from their origins to bird watching locations, with up-to-date information on flight, anatomy, feeding, communication, breeding, habitat, migrations and life cycles. Spectacular features on the most impressive birds, plus a huge catalogue that profiles nearly fifteen hundred different species makes this is a must-have for every bird enthusiast. This book is published with Birdlife International, the world's leading avian authority."

For £9.99 for this hardback edition it would be a wonderful Christmas/Birthday present or even just for a good read. The same book is on Amazon for £19.50.

I have had books from this firm before with no problems.

Forgot to add about the "Collins Complete Guide to British Wildlife" for £4.99
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/weba...Purchase_&categoryId=48103&parent_category_rn=

Yes we will know what most of the UK birds look like but it also has mammals, fish, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates you are most likely to see - as well as some of the less common species - together with all the common plants.

We have the Mediterranean Wildlife version of this book and have found it useful when we go to Mallorca to name those plants and insects that you don't get here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Marmot.

Bit off topic for this board, but they've got some outstanding non-birding bargains on there at the moment too e.g. The Times Comprehensive History of the World (it's a historical atlas really) for £15 (RRP £75) and the new edition of Weinreb's London Encyclopedia for £13 (RRP £50).

I'm skint now though...

Thanks for the tip off on Bird : The Definative Visual Guide.

I have just received it and can confirm it is a real bargain @ £6.99. Stunning pictures.

Has made my day.

Thanks for the tip off on Bird : The Definitive Visual Guide.

I have just received it and can confirm it is a real bargain @ £6.99. Stunning pictures.

Has made my day.

I have also received a copy and at the price 6.99 it's an absolute bargain with magazines costing around the 3:50 mark this book with over 500pp is great value, but don't buy one to send as a Christmas present because at 2.9 kgs parcel weight it's going to cost you.
Brian

Not really on this book subject but worth a try, can anybody recommend the best European Bird recognition DVD. I need to give the wife some ideas for my Chrissy prezzy.....sorry if it disturbs this forum thread but couldn't find mention of DVD's elsewhere ...Regards Joe

Not really on this book subject but worth a try, can anybody recommend the best European Bird recognition DVD. I need to give the wife some ideas for my Chrissy prezzy.....sorry if it disturbs this forum thread but couldn't find mention of DVD's elsewhere ...Regards Joe

Without doubt the best available is Paul Doherty's six DVD set on the birds of Britain and Europe - a snip at £30. There's also a more limited (and cheaper guide on British Birds - see
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/birdvideodvd/index-page2.html

John

A couple of good books, thanks Margaret ... unfortunately they do not ship outside UK and Ireland .. could have been a good bargain indeed :-C

I had another look at this book today; it's certainly lavishly illustrated with well chosen photos and handsomely produced. So it's worth getting then? Well not for me. Beyond it's undoubted prettiness I can't quite see the point of the book; it hasn't much depth or originality. A great coffee table book perhaps, but not one for the hardened onitho-bibliophile - well, not this one anyway! John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back