• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird poo pollution posters (1 Viewer)

Just been reading about that. Keep Scotland Beautiful seems to be making a causality error. Gulls have been on our shorelines for thousands of years, the birds and their droppings are part of the ecosystem.

It seems to be yet another bout of gull bashing.

Feeding the gulls human food isn't going to be great for the gulls, so it's probably a good thing if people quit feeding them, but I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it. Heck, they could just go with "feeding the gulls in human spaces makes them poop in human spaces, and we want them to poop elsewhere", which is reasonable.

You would think the huge numbers of Canada Geese shitting into reservoirs supplying our water would be more of a problem. They do crap a lot

My reading of the article suggests that it is the specific type of bacteria which has been tracked back to humans, dogs and gulls, which is the problem.

My problem with the article, as seems to be increasingly be the problem, is that it is uncited, so there is no way you can look at the original data, just the interpretation!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back