• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird identification by call? (1 Viewer)

HarryJ999

United States
I am in Southwest Virginia, very much in the Appalachian mountains. I am very close to Jefferson National Forest and there's a lot of hay field and cow pasture here. Lots of turkey vulture, tree swallow and bluebirds as well as the usual cast of sparrow, finch and grackle here.

During the day, I am hearing a bird that gives a single call. It sounds just like a quick "boop" from a train whistle. The pitch is medium to high and the interval is several minutes and very random. Based on the volume, I would guess it's a larger species.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Have you tried the BirdNet app? It works very well for me!

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried the BirdNet app in the past. It's perfect for the songbirds that love to tweet and chirp continuously.

In this case, this feathered friend is very intermittent. It only gives a single call with long intervals; several minutes. Capturing the specific call is not working.

The call can be best described as a single high pitch toot from a train whistle. "Raspy" might be included in the description. Sunrise and sunset is also a possibility.

Harry

Your description sounds very similar to how I hear Northern Pygmy Owl, but I'm pretty sure Virginia is well out of the range for that species...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back