• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bear I.D (1 Viewer)

Timbirder3

Going through some old photos I found two of a bear taken in Banff National Park back in 1998. The photos are poor, taken with a no zoom point-and shoot and the scans I've taken just make them worse but if anyone can suggest which species I would be grateful. I can't decide if they are Brown/Grizzly or a Cinnamon coloured Black Bear.
Thanks
Tim

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    736.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 47
I'm also no expert though I have seen both bear species. This one doesn't seem to have much of a shoulder hump which is supposed to be a good feature for Grizzly. It's not that Black Bears don't have shoulders, but on a Grizzly the hump should be prominent in any pose.

My guess is cinnamon Black Bear.

John

Thanks for your thoughts guys. When I saw this many years ago I thought it was probably a cinnamon Black Bear, but when I found these pictures during a loft clearout I got the impression of a shoulder hump, which seemed to point to Grizzly Bear. After looking at several sources on the internet (Including this site: Grizzly vs Black Bear | Know the Difference - BearSmart.com )my conclusion is that my initial identification was probably correct, based on two features: The rump is higher than the shoulder and the ears are quite prominent. Both these point towards Black rather than Grizzly Bear. I think the apparent shoulder hump in the photos is due to the way the bear is holding its head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back