• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aquatic Warbler - Red Rocks (1 Viewer)

NAB

I'm considering visiting Red Rocks early doors tomorrow to look for the Aquatic Warbler. Despite living in Cheshire, I've never visitied this site before.

RBA messages state view from the boardwalks only. Does anyone have any tips on visiting the site/looking for the bird please?

Regards,

Neil

I'm sure that Jane will be able to give you a really comprehensive reply - but my recommendation would be to get there really early and follow Jane around - if anyone is going to re-re-find it is almost certainly her!

Its a right royal pain the the arse...early morning and use your ears is my advice. A low tuck noise rather than a hard tack

RBA messages state view from the boardwalks only. Does anyone have any tips on visiting the site/looking for the bird please?
probably don't add much, but if you look at the map, turning left from the end of stanley road, walk around the corner & you should see the boardwalk on your left running between the marsh & the golf links. it's slightly inclined, so the arrow is about 1/2 way along, at the highest point, opposite the thickest part of the reedbed... it's probably in there ;)

Last edited:
Map below showing where its been seen (assuming the photo as both and Aquatic W and the same bird). Two birders this evening seem pretty sure that they saw it back where it was y'day. Some one also saw it there this am, so that would appear to be position A.

Very clear and still tonight, which is probably not what you want to hear.

Attachments

• aquatic map.jpg
    aquatic map.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 151
This is the furthest that I can push the photo I took this morning. All sorts of artefacts...but the black coronal band looks real as do the mantle lines. It also appears to have a down curved super. Pity you can't see a crown stripe, but it was actually quite hard to see in the field y'day.

Attachments

• Warbler spp.jpg
    Warbler spp.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 135
Yep was there 06:30 - 08:30 but no joy. A few Reed Warblers and the odd Sedge Warbler flicking about, but nothing really showing well, apart from one Sedge Warbler with a prominent crown stripe, which briefly had the gathered few exited :-(

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back