• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

Out of interest, would ejection for both crew, be initiated by the instructor in a trainer or would they be independent of each other?

Out of interest, would ejection for both crew, be initiated by the instructor in a trainer or would they be independent of each other?
All ejection seats act independently but some aircraft also have a command ejection system in case one crew member is disabled by something. I would have thought such systems would work both ways but I don't offhand know whether the Hawk has one.

The old joke is "If we need to eject I shall say "Eject, eject, eject" and if you say "what?" you will be talking to yourself."

John

Back in 2008 I was in Dayton Ohio on a training course which finished at midday on the Friday, as my flight back to Philly was not until the evening I spent the afternoon at the National Museum of the USAF Wright-Patterson AFB. There's the main museum and you can sign your life away and get on a bus to the other side of Wright-Patterson and visit the Experimental Hangers. I remember back in the dim distant past (1966 maybe) reading a National Geographic on the US Air Force and they had a picture of the North American XB-70 Valkyrie. They only made 2, one tragically crashed during a photo op when an F104 got too close. The remaining Valkyrie is at Wright-Patterson, what a beautiful aircraft. I should have taken many more photos than I did but I was just thrilled to be in close proximity to aircraft I'd only read about and I kept forgetting I had a camera.

Attachments

• Valkyrie 1.jpg
    Valkyrie 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Hustler 1.jpg
    Hustler 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • Hustler 2.jpg
    Hustler 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
More photo's from the National Museum of the USAF.
I know this poem has been added previously but it's on the wall there. John Gillespie Magee Jr was an American serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force. He came to Britain and served in a Spitfire Squadron and was killed at the early age of 19 in a training flight.

High Flight 1.jpg

Last edited:
Fabulous photos! I'm just going to be a bit nerdy smug for a second, because I looked at that Hurricane and thought "that nose is too long for a I, its got to be a II" - and when I visited the museum website, in fact it is a Canadian-built IIa (actually that makes it a XIIa but close enough) painted to represent a Mk I of the first Eagle Squadron, No. 71.

That Valkyrie and Peacemaker though.... I've got to go there sometime!

Thank you very much for posting these.

John

I think it is debris ( grass ) thrown around by the down wash - close to the camera so appears larger. Either way, not an entirely incident free mission.

Here's one you might find interesting. It was a film photograph that I think I took at Greenham Common in the 80's. I scanned the print with my camera and tarted it up in Affinity Photo and I added the clouds as a background. I believe this particular aircraft was destroyed in a crash in May 1988 at an airshow.

While I'm on the subject of Gloster Meteor, my Mother who was in the WAAF during the war was stationed at Tangmere in 1946 when they made the 616 mph world speed record.

Gloster Meteor 2.jpg

At 2.54 running time, something (a strop?) drops off the aircraft. Not one of the USAF's better 'aid to the civil power' days...
MJB
Whatever, it's put the HLP out of action for a bit.

''A hospital's helipad has temporarily closed after it was badly damaged by the draught from a departing aircraft.
The structure at Addenbrooke's in Cambridge was thrown into the air as the USAF CV22 Osprey took off on Wednesday. Its crew had been taking part in medical transfer training.

The East Anglian and Magpas air ambulances have been diverted to nearby Cambridge City Airport while repairs take place.
A hospital spokeswoman said: "Patients are then transferred to the hospital in road ambulances with critical care staff on board, meaning we can continue to see and treat them as normal."

Given that the Osprey landed on the grass and I've seen ambulance helicopters operate from grass any number of times, I really have to wonder why they aren't just using the same site with the matting cleared away.

John

Given that the Osprey landed on the grass and I've seen ambulance helicopters operate from grass any number of times, I really have to wonder why they aren't just using the same site with the matting cleared away.

John
The matting comes into its own when the grass is waterlogged. I've seen a Sea King bogged down after delivering a casualty in Inverness... It needed airbags inflated underneath it before it could lift off.
MJB

The matting comes into its own when the grass is waterlogged. I've seen a Sea King bogged down after delivering a casualty in Inverness... It needed airbags inflated underneath it before it could lift off.
MJB
Yes, it said on the BBC East News tonight that the air ambulance will use the grass. Assuming this is correct, presumably the matting is mainly to deal with wet conditions, which aren’t happening at the moment - IIRC the local weather forecast said only 2.9mm of rain so far in April.

There are some very interesting postings regarding this "mishap" on a military aviation forum that detail the design, h & s and implementation of HLS including our Armed forces and a contracted designer for hospital sites. Though mainly for air ambulances and similar sized units, it was/is rated to be able to handle heavier frames such as those operated by HMCG.

Not the plane to much but has anyone seen a contrail like this that stretches across the whole wing?

Attachments

• 2021 05 09 11 20 28.JPG
    2021 05 09 11 20 28.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 17
Hi,

Not the plane to much but has anyone seen a contrail like this that stretches across the whole wing?

Fascinating photograph!

I've only seen condensation above/aft of the wing with fighter jets doing hard turns.

On one occasion, I saw condensation around an Airbus Beluga's fuselage when it turned towards Hamburg-Finkenwerder airport while flying between low-hanging clouds. It was a bit like a halo around the part where the large fuselage reaches its greatest diameter. I googled for images of this effect, but couldn't find any ... perhaps it needs very specific conditions to occur and thus is difficult to capture.

Of course, these effects occurr during manoeuvring at low altitude, not in straight flight at high altitude, and don't involve freezing of the condensation as with traditional contrails, so your photograph probably shows something different!

Regards,

Henning

Yes. As you can (just) discern from the full-size image, there are tiny wisps of cloud, which could indicate that the air is supersaturated with tiny water droplets, but clouds haven't fully formed because the air is relatively free of fine particulates such as dust. However, an aircraft slicing through this compresses the air passing over and under the wings, condensing the water droplets into larger drops, which thus form a kind of cloud. You sometimes see this effect from a window seat when your aircraft is passing through supersaturated air, particularly on finals where flaps are extended, adding to the compression/condensing effect; sometimes the effect is a flickering between the wing being obscured and being visible.

Normal condensation trails form from the heat effect of engine exhaust gases encountering microscopic water or ice droplets. The mixture stabilises as heat loss in the air stabilises, which is why the trail appears a little behind the aircraft.
MJB

Hi,

Fascinating photograph!

I've only seen condensation above/aft of the wing with fighter jets doing hard turns.

On one occasion, I saw condensation around an Airbus Beluga's fuselage when it turned towards Hamburg-Finkenwerder airport while flying between low-hanging clouds. It was a bit like a halo around the part where the large fuselage reaches its greatest diameter. I googled for images of this effect, but couldn't find any ... perhaps it needs very specific conditions to occur and thus is difficult to capture.

Of course, these effects occurr during manoeuvring at low altitude, not in straight flight at high altitude, and don't involve freezing of the condensation as with traditional contrails, so your photograph probably shows something different!

Regards,

Henning
I can do you an A380 manoeuvring under cloud on its way into Heathrow, photographed while I was looking for Southern Emerald Damselflies. Condensation off an A380..... wow!

John

Attachments

• 20190807 (3)_A7-APC_Airbus_A380-861.jpg
    20190807 (3)_A7-APC_Airbus_A380-861.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back