• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas? Surfbirds ID Pic (1 Viewer)

Sorry mate, I can't even figure out if the bird is facing us or not!!!

Strange black pattern though for a British song bird (looks warbler to me), or is it shadows.

If that's a magpie, it's sitting on an unusually isolated fairly big branch. It looks like a small branch to me.

Could it be a Swallow, or House Martin?

sorta looks very c. Whitethroatish, from front (looking at obvious white throat/buffish chest/bill/headshape - but from very odd angle (hence short tail)

My best guess, assuming its not an escape is Stonechat, but I'm miles from being convinced.

I too see Sylvia features... melanistic Whitethroat?

20070620105103.JPG

For when the page moves.

I reckon looks like a Coal Tit. Whatever it is we will never know but I suppose that won't stop most of the ID addicts from inflicting unnecessary brain damage on themselfs.

I see my magpie suggestion hasn't convinced anyone, I've done a little sketch of the bird in the same position, and then turned it around, can anyone see the magpie now?

Attachments

• magpie.jpg
    magpie.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 155
I see my magpie suggestion hasn't convinced anyone, I've done a little sketch of the bird in the same position, and then turned it around, can anyone see the magpie now?

Looks good I have to say! I couldn't see the Magpie because I had the bird down as facing us, that upper white patch being the throat. Jane how do you get a single pic like that on Surfbirds?

Last edited:
dan pointon; said:
Looks good I have to say! Jane how do you get a single pic like that on Surfbirds?

Depends on your browser... but right click it and see if you get an option like show properties, or copy address.

My first impression was Magpie as well, and your great sketches confirm it. I also agree with others on the tail, that it's just the bad angle of the photo. Again, great sketches!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good stuff Nick saved the thread descending into pages and pages of mind numbing guesswork, hopefully.

doh .. just as I was sketching a Whitethroat comparison too!!! Funnily enough, started to have a Magpie feel once I'd started

Attachments

• c. whitethroat.JPG
    c. whitethroat.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 95
  • strange bird.JPG
    strange bird.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
If you keep staring at it, you can make it switch between whitethroat (or spectacled warbler) and magpie, quite fun, bloody hell I need to get a life!

Great sketch Deborah, and I love your life list! Didn't Haze get split into several Air Wicks? I can't keep up with air freshener taxonomy!

Didn't Haze get split into several Air Wicks? I can't keep up with air freshener taxonomy!

Indeed, Nick ... have 'had' Haze Friesa but can't count it as it's still under consideration with the AW Committee

Just didn't get the Magpie until I actually sketched it from the photo, then it was the posture that shouted Magpie! Must get more practice ...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back