• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another request for information for Vancouver Island (2 Viewers)

Steve Babbs

Hi
I didn't get a great deal of response for my previous request so I'll try asking more specific questions:

I'll be visitig Vancouver Island for about 5 weeks, end of July and August.

Does anyone have a particular recommendations for the best whale watching company, I'm particulary after Orca and Grey?

Are there any true pelagics going out at this time, or am I too early?

Is it worth me splashing out £37 for the CD sound guide, or has most stuff stopped singing by this date.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Babbs said:
Hi
I didn't get a great deal of response for my previous request so I'll try asking more specific questions:

I'll be visitig Vancouver Island for about 5 weeks, end of July and August.

Does anyone have a particular recommendations for the best whale watching company, I'm particulary after Orca and Grey?

Are there any true pelagics going out at this time, or am I too early?

Is it worth me splashing out £37 for the CD sound guide, or has most stuff stopped singing by this date.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

it's been a very long time since I came back to Europe from the Pacific coast. But basically the breeding season is about the same as in Europe. Thus, you will not get many songs anymore.

I can't comment on whale watching, but if you find a pelagic birding trip, take it. There is always a chance for something interesting.

Greywhale

Hallo,

in Tofino I remember only 1 company the give guarranty of seeing whales, but not definet type. I saw Humpack whales and a mother + child of Greywhales.
The different companies phoned each other and will inform each other, what is just possible to see. So collected different boats of different companies on the hotspots.
It was 3. week of August 2001.
Killerwhales I heard is the best place start from Victoria on Vancouver island.
I asked in different foren, but nobody could give details ( I was not there ).

But if Killerwhales appear all the other whales disappear, because the Orca attack them.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back