• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice wanted please (1 Viewer)

I have now booked to go to Egypt. I fly out on April 19th and come back on May 6th. I am flying from Luton to Sharm El sheik.

The person that lives there that I am doubling up with is now working on an itinerary to cover the 18 days starting at Sinai.

Are there any birds that can be found in Egypt that are not in the latest Collins Field Guide.

John

Are there any birds that can be found in Egypt that are not in the latest Collins Field Guide.

John

Hi John
One or two things have recently been added in the south - African Mourning Dove and Bruce's Green Pigeon spring to mind - but are maybe unlikely to turn up again for a while. Three-banded Plover breeds at one site at Aswan High Dam.
The Gebel Elba area in the far south-east has several species that might not be in Collins but I doubt you will get there. Abu Simbel specialities such as Yellow-billed Stork, Pink-backed Pelican, African Skimmer, African Pied Wagtail, Egyptian Nightjar and African Collared Dove should be in Collins.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve

I managed to see Three-banded Plover on a few occasions in South Africa, even managed a few photos of it but it would be nice to see again. I know Aswan will be part of the itinerary.

Of the others Egyptian Nightjar, African Collared Dove & African Skimmer would be Lifers for me I haven't included your first two because as you say they are highly unlikely).

I know we are starting at Sinai but where else we are going I don't know. I only confirmed the booking today so the person I am joining will start to work on the itinerary from today onwards.

John

I have now booked to go to Egypt. I fly out on April 19th and come back on May 6th. I am flying from Luton to Sharm El sheik.

Running battles in Cairo today, a re-surfacing of an ugly religious divide, at least 13 people dead and 140 wounded. News is quieter now due to events in its eastern neighbour. Check with your insurance if they cover cancelled flights if things should again worsen, some policies do not cover such.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back