• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A cautionary tale for nest-box owners (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

I have 2 'Woodcrete' nestboxes in the garden, one with a 25mm hole for Blue Tits, the other a 28mm for Great Tits. The Blue Tit one hangs on the rear end wall of the garage, the other on the trunk of a Horse Chestnut at the bottom of the garden. Note that with this kind of box you gain access by removing the whole front panel, which slots in and is clipped.

Back in the Spring both boxes were used and at about the end of May the Blue Tits fledged. I waited until the middle of July and then went to have a look in the boxes. No problem with the Great Tits (and no corpses left behind) but as I went to touch the Blue Tit box I heard a loud buzzing noise coming from the box. I am allergic to Wasp-stings so I backed off and left it, intending to get the Pest Control people to come if it became a problem.

Over the next few weeks I saw what looked like a large reddish Wasp nipping around the garden and twice saw it go into the box, then towards the end of July I was in the area and heard a continuous buzzing from the box, looked and there was an enormous reddish waspish insect just outside the hole, fanning it's wings like no tomorrow. I presumed that this was 'air-conditioning' and there must be a nest in there. I kept watch and started to take photos, then contacted the top Entymologist at Bristol Museum who confirmed from the photos that what I had/have is a Hornets' nest! This got him moderately excited as there had only been 2 nests reported in the whole of the 'Avon' area in 2004, one of them being in woodland about 4 miles from where I live; presumably I've got one of the young Queens from that nest.

He informed me that, despite their appearance, Hornets are generally placid, non-aggressive insects and in all his experience he had never heard of anyone being stung; he did however advise not to try to interfere with the nest! He also said the the only alternatives were to leave the Hornets to their own devices, in which case the nest would be dead by late Nov/early Dec, or to have it killed. So I've opted to leave it. Later, when the new Queens and Males have left I'll start giving it a gentle tap with a long stick and when nothing buzzes (twice) then down it will come and be on it's way to the Museum, who don't have a Hornets' nest on exhibition.

Here are 3 photos of the box at various stages of Hornet nest-building. First the original 'air-conditioning', you can just see the nest inside the hole; then the first stage of external building (the nest inside was already finished by then I assume) and finally today's shot showing the amount of work that they've put into it. Industrious little (!) beasties aren't they. Do remember that the nest-hole is 25mm across.

The caution is obvious, before you open your nest-box stand a bit back and give it a tap with a stick; if it buzzes, leave it alone or call for help.

Cheers, Bill

Attachments

• DS hornet 'fanning' at blue-tit nest box 1.jpg
    DS hornet 'fanning' at blue-tit nest box 1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DS hornets at nest  2508 1.jpg
    DS hornets at nest 2508 1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DS hornets' nest 2809 1.jpg
    DS hornets' nest 2809 1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Oooooh they are huge!!
I just had to get my ruler out to check and I think I'm right that 25mm is an old fashioned inch?
I bet when you do eventually get in to see it it will be beautifully made and the museum will be well thrilled with it!
You should be honoured to have been chosen by the Hornet's though I'm glad it wasn't in my garden!!!!!!
Best wishes,

I'm always wary that bees or wasps might decide to move into one of the nest boxes, but so far they haven't. We had a nest under the floorboards of the living room though that had to be removed. Saying that, if they wanted to move into the boxes they would be welcome to since the birds only use them in the summer!

I had a run-in with a wasp that was helping itself to some fruity fatcake that got a bit annoyed with me because I was trying to clean the plate but although it flew into mty hand it didn't sting.

I saw something funny yesterday though. I went out to check the new pond, and there was a wasp flying around and it skimmed over the surface of the water dipping it's abdomen into the water and then landing on the ground. Anyone know what it was doing? I thought maybe it could be getting water to drink, but I've seen wasps drinking before and they just crawl to the edge of the water to drink.

Hi Bill.

What a great story: you are right to promote caution. You might recall my post on the Nature Board when I wrote of my Blue Tit box being deserted, for no apparent reason, then I noticed bees going in. I got rid of the bees to find a Tit's nest under the dead bees with 7 eggs in it.
The Hornet's nest is terrific, and the excitement it caused at the Museum even better.

All the best.
Baz.

bill moss said:
Hi folks,

...the only alternatives were to leave the Hornets to their own devices, in which case the nest would be dead by late Nov/early Dec, or to have it killed. So I've opted to leave it.
Cheers, Bill
Great story, Bill. I'm glad you let them live, hornets are far from a common wasp these days. We had a wasp nest straight over our bedroom window in our holiday cottage. That was, sadly, too close for comfort and we told the owner who had it removed. I wasn't happy but there are limits.

Hi Scampo,

If it had been Common Wasps they would have gone I'm afraid. I'm allergic to Wasp stings so it's the one bit of wildlife that I kill on sight if it comes indoors and I give them as wide a berth as possible outdoors. Sorry folks, but....

Bill.

bill moss said:
Hi Scampo,

If it had been Common Wasps they would have gone I'm afraid. I'm allergic to Wasp stings so it's the one bit of wildlife that I kill on sight if it comes indoors and I give them as wide a berth as possible outdoors. Sorry folks, but....

Bill.
Sad to hear that - you could well be allergic to hornet stings, too, then - but not necessarily. It'll be some protein in the sting to which your body reacts. Let's hope that's a particular wasp thing!

Hello Bill,

I had wasps nesting in one of our nestboxes this year and I just left them alone, sadly the cold spell we had earlier in the summer killed them off, the house sparrows continued to nest and breed next to them successfully.

Your Hornets are amazing!

There was a hornets nest in a hide at Rutland Water two or three years ago. They may be placid, but they sure look intimidating close up and in a swarm!

Cautionary tale

Hi Bill ,
I'm with you when faced with such a situation, I'd take steps, the bigger the better in the opposite direction. It must be fascinating to watch tje hornets nest building though.

George

Hi Bill, the nest is fantastic, so glad you let them be to do 'their thing'. Would love to see a photo when the front is taken off and one gets full view of their architectural achievements, when the time comes.
Bluetit

Hi Bill. You're hornets are beautiful and I'm glad you left them to carry on nesting. I absolutely hate wasps. I'm terrified of them since I was stung by one as a kid. In Germany we get a lot more wasps then here in England. One was buzzing around me and I was getting scared. My mum said don't move and it will not hurt you. Ha yeah tell that the wasp!! There I stood not moving or breathing for what seemed like ages and the monster sat on my leg and stung me! :C :eek!: :-C . Since then I don't trust them and run a mile.

Anyway that's enough about wasps. What I was going to say was that a few years back I visit my dad in Germany and he had a hornets nest on the wall of their house just by the patio doors. We sat down to have a BBQ and at first I was terrified as they were sooooo big and so close. My dad said not to worry they won't bother us ( now where did I hear this before :h?: ). He was right they just carried on with their business and I actually started to enjoy watching them fly in and out of their nest. What did bother us and had me up and running a few times were the bl@@**y wasps! :C Now give me a hornets nest anytime!!

Enjoy them Bill as long as they are there. You may never get the chance again.

Happy birdies, Liebchen

Hi Bill, thanks for the cautionary warning, we have bird boxes in our apples trees so we will do as you say and tap them first with a long stick before cleaning them out in early Winter. We found a very big wasps nest in our attic several years ago, we had it removed and I took it to my childrens Primary School for display. Never seen anything like it since........thank goodness!!!! Glad yours was a hornets nest and not wasps :eek!: , please keep us posted with more photos!!

Hi Bill,

Ooooh what a whopper!

I don't think I'd like to have them too close. They do look pretty though.

We used to have an allotment in Bristol which had a greenhouse in it. One day while I was in said greenhouse, I noticed that there was aswarm of bees surrounding it. The plot behind was used by a beekeeper. It may have been great for pollination but the sight of all those bees flying around gave me the willies! I must have looked a right sight bent double creeping out of the greenhouse and as far away as I could get.

Still, at least when they did it the next year, I spoted them earlier and made a hasty retreat.

Cheers,

Lucky you Bill! I've never seen a hornet. I did have a swarm of bees settle in my bay tree one year, they stayed for a couple of days then moved on. Sadly I wasn't there when they left.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back