• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 Aug, Coos Bay, Oregon USA help please (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I think this is probably a Yellow-rumped Warbler and the position is just confusing me. As usual any helps and hints are appreciated.

unknown1.jpg

Was this photo taken with a cell phone, or processed after the fact? It indeed looks odd, and the best placement i have is Yellow-rumped, but I think some image enhancing is to blame for the strange vibes the image gives.

Was this photo taken with a cell phone, or processed after the fact? It indeed looks odd, and the best placement i have is Yellow-rumped, but I think some image enhancing is to blame for the strange vibes the image gives.
For some reason smartphone images have this posterization effect. I don't know if this is turned on by the user, or a default option, but I have seen it before on this forum.

A difficult angle and photo to work from, but I think Yellow-rumped fits better than Townsend's Warbler. Looking at the tail, Yellow-rumped, particularly Audubon's, have more black at both the tips and bases of the tail than do Townsend's, matching this bird. If you have a copy of Dunn and Garrett's Warblers see plate #31 for illustrations of this. Townsend's also have dark spots on the under tail coverts, which we do not see on this bird. A Townsend's should also show more yellow on the breast.

This is the only photo I managed, taken with my Canon 7D. The only thing I did to the image was crop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back