• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Warbler Sound IDs (Garden Warbler vs Blackcap, Cettis) plus Scoter (1 Viewer)

Buckster

wondered if anyone can help me with confirming (or not) these bird recordings please to help improve my bird sound ID.

These 3 were picked up by BirdNET Pi which is bottom of the garden - I think they may be correct but I really struggle Blackcap vs Garden Warbler. The Cettis (if checks out) would be unusual for a garden record for here

Garden Warbler ?
we have a near resident Blackcap which sings most of the day atm - but BirdNET Pi picked up this bird singing for a few hours one morning - it hasn't been picked up since. After checking against videos on youtube and checking against Merlin both suggest is Garden Warbler ?

Cettis ?
I live a few miles from 2 Estuaries and hear them all the time when running along sea walls near reed beds - but for garden would be unusual. Picked up twice once in Jan, once in March - certainly sounds like a short Cettis burst ? First recording followed by a Blue Tit.

Common Scoter ?
Picked up yesterday evening - not a bird I am familiar with but the sonogram and sound look like it could be

many thanks for any help

thanks very much for all of the replies -much appreciated.

It is very nice (and appreciated) to have these species confirmed (thankyou) as they are unusual/wouldn't have known about without a BirdNET Pi device picking up.

The Garden Warbler and Cettis - GW 1 instance of hours of singing but only one morning, not since, and the Cettis (2 short bursts over period of 3 months) - makes me think maybe they are using bushes and trees at bottom of garden, and/or hedge along garden as a step-off point when either migrating through or moving from one estuary (or location) to another. I find this fascinating.

The Common Scoter recording - not sure if that is unusual or just you wouldn't know if you didn't listen for but certainly is of huge interest personally.

I find it absolutely fascinating what devices like a BirdNET Pi can pick up, it has given me a completely different viewpoint of what is going on in my garden and very local area. Yes it does get IDs wrong sometimes (brilliant that you can review all of the recordings) - but as long as odd/unusual detections are manually reviewed/confirmed I think it gives so much of a picture of what is going on bird wise that just looking out of the window for a few hours a day (as fun and nice as that is)

I didn't post as I was sure of recording, but the day before or after the GW I had a very similar instance with a Lesser Whitethroat, an hour or two of singing detected one early morning but thats the only instance its picked up.

vs Blackcap which are near resident in garden and picked up singing all day practically every day.

My view is that as detection algorithms become more accurate, number of devices increases etc we will get a fascinating insight into bird movements, especially some of rarer birds and I think there will be some real surprises. In particular movements of more common birds (like the Cettis detection in the garden) and for rarer birds which I suspect there are many many more visits of to areas than are actually recorded.

Cettis - there is nothing in our garden habitat wise to suggest there would be one visiting, but with an audio monitor it demonstrates one or more has - for some purpose anyway.

I know not the case for some (not sure why) - but to me knowing a Cettis or Garden Warbler visited the garden is as exciting as seeing it with my own eyes, an audio detector is just another tool along with my binoculars, telescope etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back