- Tadorna tadorna
- White body
- Chestnut breast band
- Green neck and head (looks black)
- Black scapulars, flight feathers and stripe from breast band to vent
- Reddish-yellow undertail coverts
- White tail with black tip
- Red bill with fleshy knob (larger in spring Male)
Estuaries, lakes, rivers and salt marshes.
They nest in burrows, holes, caves and cliffs. The nest is lined with down for the 8-12 white eggs. Both sexes incubate and care for the young.
The diet includes invertebrates.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2015. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2015, with updates to August 2015. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Common Shelduck. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 24 September 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Common_Shelduck
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.1