• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Tayforth Birding (6 Viewers)

im thinking of heading for glen lethnot sometime next week and noticed there is 3 different approaches to the glen,any advice on which one is best for small birds?

Can't really help you with that, kawwauser. Living in Blair we've always approached from Kirkton of Menmuir.

D

We took the road via the White & Brown Catheruns the other week, and it's possible to pull in at a wee car park bit at the top of the hill, there were Meadow Pipits and Skylarks around when we were there (although it was raining quite heavily so we didn't stop long there).

cheers for the info delia/stonefaction,
ill be heading in from a visit to kinnordy ,i was hoping for redstart,an adder would also be most welcome

i headed for glen lethnot today but when i got there their was a lot of black clouds overhead,i decide to drive around the lower ground untill the clouds passed,i came across a large flock of jackdaws adult/juvs,the birds were at the edge of a field and on the road,i had to swerve around the youngsters, i was planning on returning after the light rainfall but got sidetracked as usual (ill drive another mile then turn )i did however fit in lurgies/ferryden/auchmithie harbour,i came across a large sandmartin colony a half mile from brechin in a working sand quarry,some of the nest enterances have caved in and three nests above the face are at ground level in a mound of deposited sand,
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/sm2.jpg
a small colony of bh gulls were on an island in the water and coots with 2 juvs were swimming nearby,the lurgies produced the most mutes i have ever seen 200+,a large number of shellducks/eiders were resting on the far bank,smaller numbers were on the water with chicks in tow,apart from mallard widgeon was the only other duck seen,the strong wind had a positive factor here and i got close to a resting heron,it looked a lot smaller close up,cormorants/sandmartins/linnits/redshank/oystercatcher/m pipts/song thrush/carrion crow/gulls were seen plus 1 perched common tern and 2 pairs of common sandpipers,when i reached ferryden the wind was at its strongest but i still walked the path to see the lighthouse,

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/ferrydenl.jpg
lots of male eiders resting beween the car park and here ,terns were fishing plus swallows were flying in and out of the cattle shed,m pipits/starlings/house sparrows/skylark were about,highlight was a male reed bunting singing on a nearby post,the bird was concentrating on staying on the post,i had great views of the chestnut colours on the wings and tried a video but the wind spoilt the song
ill post it in the vidsection anyway,
auchmithie came up trumps in the form of puffins,41 birds sitting just offshore ,many others were flying in and out of the caves,with the low numbers at arbroath cliffs and fowlsheugh this point is a must if you want to see puffins north of isle of may
pics
lurgies
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/heron83.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/csandp1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/ct2.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/mutes.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/mutese.jpg
ferryden
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/rb59.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/rb60.jpg

those beutifull puffins
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/pffn4.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/pffn3.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/pffn.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/pffn6.jpg

Nice adult red-necked Grebe off findatie yesterday morning at Loch Leven. The Smew was still kicking about on Tuesday. The Ross's Goose is still off St Serfs with the Barnacle Geese. Either viewed from the east shore distantly or through the cameras at Vane Farm.

Took another trip up Glen Lethnot hoping for better photos of a few species on Saturday. Plenty birds around, and loads of youngsters among them.
Red Grouse, Pheasant, Red Kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Snipe, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Cuckoo, Swift, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sand Martin, House Martin, Swallow, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Redstart, Whinchat, Stonechat, Wheatear, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Willow Warbler, Wren, Spotted Flycatcher, Great/Blue/Coal & Long Tailed Tit, Jay, Carrion Crow, Raven, Chaffinch, Linnet, Siskin, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Reed Bunting.
Pleased to get Redstart in Glen Lethnot, next time I'll hopefully get a photo of the male.

Headed to the Lurgies afterwards for a wee nosey. Osprey, Greenshank, Bar Tailed Godwit, Redshank, Lapwing, Cormorant, Goldeneye, Goosander, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Common Tern, Wigeon, Common Sandpiper and some others.

Then to Auchmithie for a wee look out over the sea. Guillemot, Razorbill and Puffin plus Shag, Fulmar, Herring Gull out on the water. A few Gannets passing by. IN and around the gulley we saw Yellowhammer, Pheasant, Kestrel, Whitethroat, Blue Tit, Goldfinch and a single Corn Bunting was singing from the wires behind the football pitch.

Stopped at Westhaven where a family of Shelduck (11 ducklings and 2 adults) were on the shore. Mixture of gulls roosting, but nothing unusual (as far as I could tell), Grey Herons aplenty. A few Common Terns flew by.

Not a bad day - 81 species by the end of it.

Last edited:
Weather didn't look too promising on Sunday so we decided on a bit of seawatching from Arbroath. Sat in the car at Victoria Park car park and scoped the water. Eiders, Guillemots, Razorbills, Gannets aplenty. Fulmars, Herring Gulls, Curlews, Kittiwakes, a few Shags and Cormorants and a few Common Terns around too.
Main highlights were a couple of (Red Throated?) Divers, a couple of Manx Shearwaters which actually landed in the water offshore for 10 secs or so (and maybe another 10 or so very probables passing with a strong tailwind northwards), and a single Bonxie.
Manxies and Bonxies both firsts for 2010 (and Angus) for me.

Weather-wise a pretty poor day with a lot of rain around so popped into Guardbridge en route to Rossie Bog (see Eden Estuary thread). Picked up a Green Sandpiper, 15 Black Tailed Godwits, 7 Snipe and the Pectoral Sandpiper (a lifer for me) when we got to Rossie Bog.

From there headed back to Dundee to the mouth of the Dighty Burn at Balmossie. Decent selection of waders around - 8 Dunlin (one youngster standing out well amongst them), Curlews, Redshanks, Oystercatchers and a small group of Golden Plovers. 15 Goosanders just off the mouth of the burn, along with lots of Mute Swans.

Popped along to Monifieth where a large group of Gannets (100+) were diving en masse way out in the estuary off Tentsmuir Point. A few Common Terns around also.

i visited glen lethnot today heading in from memus at 3.30 today,i intended a short walk given the time but ended up on the top,not a lot higher up ,m pipits plus 3 ravens in the air at the same time,lots of birds lower down,spotted flycatcher,swallow,pied wagtail.buzzard, from the car,1 red legged partridge 1 snipe ,1 mistle thrush,1 pair of oystercatchers,several pairs of lapwings, adults and young starlings nearby,1 hunting kestrel ,1 gs woodpecker,a bit further,adult and young wheatears were all over the lower ground,i came across a situation between wheatear youngsters and a small rabbit, the wheatears (2) were flirting above the rabbit sounding alarm calls,1 wheatear flew off and the other landed on the ground in front of the rabbit,what i can only think of is a stand off situation developed, both bird and rabbit sat staring,i decided to get a pic of this,i focused my camera in the middle of them both and as i pressed the button the rabbit bolted and a stoat entered the frame,i looked over my camera but it was all over, the stoat had dissapeared,looking at the pic the stoat may have paused for what must have been a fraction of a sec ,both stoat and wheatear were totaly focused on the rabbit and didn,t see each other,a good fortune on behalf of the wheatear,going by the pic the stoat must have passed by maybe 2/5 inches from the yougster

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/stoatwhe.jpg

Last edited:
LOL kawwauser, that must have been great to watch. A great picture too.

D

Glenshee

LOL kawwauser, that must have been great to watch. A great picture too.

D

TOOK MY DAUGHTER, ALEX ,UP GLENSHEE TODAY TO TRY FOR PTARMIGAN, A LIFE BIRD FOR HER. SHE REFUSED TO GO UP IN THE CHAIRLIFT SO WE SET OFF WALKING UP, THE HARD WAY (STRAIGHT UP ).
AT THE TOP WE ALMOST TRIPPED OVER 14 PTARMIGAN, MAGIC TO WATCH.
WE SAT AND HAD OUR LUNCH WITH THE PTARMIGAN LESS THAN 50FT AWAY QUITE UNCONCERNED.
WALKED OVER TO THE NEXT HILL AND FOUND A FAMILY OF RING OUZEL,6 BIRDS, ANOTHER LIFE BIRD FOR ALEX. 202 BIRDS IN SCOTLAND AT 11. NO TOO BAD !
WALKED BACK DOWN ,PASSING MIPITS GALORE,WHEATEARS AND A COVEY OF RED GROUSE DOWN AT THE CARPARK LESS THAN 30FT AWAY.
A SUPER DAY OUT.

TOOK MY DAUGHTER, ALEX ,UP GLENSHEE TODAY TO TRY FOR PTARMIGAN, A LIFE BIRD FOR HER. SHE REFUSED TO GO UP IN THE CHAIRLIFT SO WE SET OFF WALKING UP, THE HARD WAY (STRAIGHT UP ).
AT THE TOP WE ALMOST TRIPPED OVER 14 PTARMIGAN, MAGIC TO WATCH.
WE SAT AND HAD OUR LUNCH WITH THE PTARMIGAN LESS THAN 50FT AWAY QUITE UNCONCERNED.
WALKED OVER TO THE NEXT HILL AND FOUND A FAMILY OF RING OUZEL,6 BIRDS, ANOTHER LIFE BIRD FOR ALEX. 202 BIRDS IN SCOTLAND AT 11. NO TOO BAD !
WALKED BACK DOWN ,PASSING MIPITS GALORE,WHEATEARS AND A COVEY OF RED GROUSE DOWN AT THE CARPARK LESS THAN 30FT AWAY.
A SUPER DAY OUT.

Terrific day Gus and Alex, well done. :t:

Terrific day Gus and Alex, well done. :t:

Thanks Ken, really was a great day. we had a couple of hours at montrose esplanade yesterday and picked up 3 arctic skua close in, fantastic to watch.Had 4 bonxies and loads of manx shearwaters, one group had 34 birds in it.
ps. I see the spoonbills are back at the Ythan, typical !

It's just no fair Gus... everytime I go up there the mist has come right down onto the road!

What a great day for you and Alex though!

D

It's just no fair Gus... everytime I go up there the mist has come right down onto the road!

What a great day for you and Alex though!

D

plenty of mist when we reached the top ! Almost fell over the ptarmigan. I had carried my scope & tripod all the way up, telling Alex we might just see a glimpse of the ptarmigan !
She was trying to feed them bits of bridie crusts, they weren't impressed.
The ring ouzels were looking more interested though, might be a thought to take a bridie next time you go up there Delia !!:eat:

plenty of mist when we reached the top ! Almost fell over the ptarmigan. I had carried my scope & tripod all the way up, telling Alex we might just see a glimpse of the ptarmigan !
She was trying to feed them bits of bridie crusts, they weren't impressed.
The ring ouzels were looking more interested though, might be a thought to take a bridie next time you go up there Delia !!:eat:

:-O I'd have to weigh myself down with 2... I'd surely eat one before I got there!

D

Went looking for a few birds in Fife yesterday (Saturday), and got lucky - again.
Started at Loch Gelly in the hope that the Ring Necked Duck there would be easier to find than the more northerly one at Angle Park/Birnie & Gaddon. Lots of Herons, a couple of Great Crested Grebes and some distant Tufted Ducks. Couldn't tell if the Ring Necked Duck was one of them, so headed along to Buckhaven in the hope of seeing the Mediterranean Gulls reported there on Friday. Drove down the brae to Shore Road and the only gull in sight was a rather handsome looking adult Med Gull. A younger one joined it later, and with the help of half a packet of crisps it was lured in rather close to the car for a few photos. Bumped into another birder there who gave accurate directions to Angle Park (we'd been looking in the wrong Angle Park(s)), so we decided to try for the Ring Necked Duck again later.
First off though we headed along to Kilminning to do a spot of sea-watching. A lot of Gannets, a few Terns, a Fulmar and a Bonxie. Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting, Magpies also in the area.
Back to Angle Park where there were a lot of Coots, some Tufties and bright sunshine on the water where the birds were and a strong wind just to make life difficult. Every time I got the scope on a likely looking bird, it dived. Eventually the sun went behind a cloud and stayed there making things a lot easier. Finally found the Ring Necked Duck. A lifer for me (at about the 5th or 6th attempt!).
Not a bad day out.

---------------------

Today (Sunday) we took a drive up 4 of the Angus Glens (Moy, Clova, Doll & Prosen). In Glen Moy we got a Jay, 2 Willow Warblers and Red Legged Partridge among others.
Glen Clova produced Mistle Thrush and Wheatear. Had great views of a Siskin feeding on a thistle head in Glen Doll, and 3 Ravens high up one of the hills in Glen Doll. Glen Prosen added Kestrel and Bullfinch to the list for the day.
Headed to Kinnordy for an hour on the way home. Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Gadwall and Wigeon plus Coot, Moorhen and Mute Swan out on the water. Water Rail heard but not seen.

im just back from checking on the ravens on lundie craggs,2 adults and 2 juvs were in the air together,a family of kestrels were using the thermals to practise hovering,5 juvs here,2 mistle thrushes with 5 juvs,1 jay with 1 juv were also seen,5 calling buzzards,1 whitethroat,chaffinches,linnets,swallows,swifts,woodpigeon,2 lesser black backed gulls,dunnock,m pipit

Users who are viewing this thread

• MJB
Back