• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Problem with green coating of EL SV 8x32 (4 Viewers)

I just phoned Swarovski North America and had a nice chat with someone in technical support, who I asked about recent changes in the armor formula to address the armor-with-potential-to-fail issue. They said that they had not been informed by Swarovski of any recent changes. They were also not aware of any regular issues with armoring on any production in recent years, including any NL production. Those were disappointing responses to me since I feel like we have plenty of examples within this thread of bins of fairly recent production or re-armor jobs failing, including an NL or two. They did say that the armor of Swarovski bins is vulnerable to DEET and some other chemicals, and that it will fail by becoming gummy, not crusty or crumbly, or "breaking off in chunks" as was the case with some past armor that was bad (see next paragraph).

Of interest is that the person I spoke to was aware of and had notes on significant problems that occurred with units of the 32 mm EL SV starting with 2011 production, 42 mm EL SV FP starting with 2015 production, and some units of the CL from 2017. However, their understanding was that changes were made relatively quickly in each of those cases to resolve the problem. If accurate, the suggestion is that the most acute versions of the armor failure have been due to batch issues (or that Swarovski has not used the same armor material in all products).

I asked if the better armor could be distinguished from the bad and they said that the good might be a bit darker in color and more shiny.

--AP

Last edited:
That's great news! It would be nice to know when the change was made and if there is any way to distinguish the new formula from the one that can fail catastrophically.

I have three Swarovski EL bins, none of which has any armor issues despite a lot of time in high humidity, high heat, sun, and sweat, but all three are older models--a very early 8.5x42 EL (non-SV), a late 8x32 EL (non-SV), and a very late but pre-FP 8.5x42 SV. I'm glad to know that if I have to send them in for a service that requires armor removal and replacement that they won't be getting the formula that has proven to deteriorate under some conditions.

The examples of failed armor that I've seen on this thread and elsewhere are like nothing I've seen from any other rubberized binocular/camera/scope/etc. Clearly a failure of materials engineering and application [Someone earlier in the thread suggested it was the latter rather than the former, but I can't believe that this potential for failure was an intentional aspect of the engineered specs or was even known by the engineers] which must rank as Swarovski's biggest failure [Even bigger than replacing the standard strap lugs with the FP connections, or failing to implement variable-ratio focusing in the older incarnations of the EL SV that were very close-focusing and thus otherwise superb for butterflying] :)

--AP
Interesting perspectives. Certainly you, and virtually everyone on this forum, have much more experience with Swarovski, than I do.
I'm not having any armor issues with NL, nor did I have any issue with the one late model EL, other than the thumb depressions.
I take issue with your perspective that the FP connections are a failure in design, almost as huge as this armor failure. I think you are entitled to your perspective, I just want to say I think the FP connection is very functional for my use, and in no way can be considered a design error.

...I think you are entitled to your perspective, I just want to say I think the FP connection is very functional for my use, and in no way can be considered a design error...
Again, not to hijack the thread, but I said that in peevish jest (hence the smiley face). For me, the FP bumps get in the way of my hand position and they allow the strap to get annoying twists.

--AP

Again, not to hijack the thread, but I said that in peevish jest (hence the smiley face). For me, the FP bumps get in the way of my hand position and they allow the strap to get annoying twists.

--AP
Got it..the emoticon vocabulary goes above my head ; ). I was also jesting above when I suggested the Swarovski bins could use a 'stay-on-case' to prevent sun damage to the armor, and to protect the armor from our grubby mitts.
Interesting about the FP bumps...the shape of the NL works so well for my aged arthritic hands, while the EL thumb indents made my thumbs hurt.
..done with thread hijack.. : )

Is there any proof for the claim that Swarovski is using "new, better armor" or is it just hearsay ? Very curious about this ...

I just phoned Swarovski North America and had a nice chat with someone in technical support, who I asked about recent changes in the armor formula to address the armor-with-potential-to-fail issue. They said that they had not been informed by Swarovski of any recent changes. They were also not aware of any regular issues with armoring on any production in recent years, including any NL production. Those were disappointing responses to me since I feel like we have plenty of examples within this thread of bins of fairly recent production or re-armor jobs failing, including an NL or two. They did say that the armor of Swarovski bins is vulnerable to DEET and some other chemicals, and that it will fail by becoming gummy, not crusty or crumbly, or "breaking off in chunks" as was the case with some past armor that was bad (see next paragraph).

Of interest is that the person I spoke to was aware of and had notes on significant problems that occurred with units of the 32 mm EL SV starting with 2011 production, 42 mm EL SV FP starting with 2015 production, and some units of the CL from 2017. However, their understanding was that changes were made relatively quickly in each of those cases to resolve the problem. If accurate, the suggestion is that the most acute versions of the armor failure have been due to batch issues (or that Swarovski has not used the same armor material in all products).

I asked if the better armor could be distinguished from the bad and they said that the good might be a bit darker in color and more shiny.

--AP
Strangest thing, Swarovski doesn't know anything about new Swarovski armor? My guess is it this so called new armor is some kind Hoax... Your statement is proof enough that the armor issues are highly blown out of proportion (in my opinion, that is!)

--AP
I bought my 32 mm ELs in 2012 so they could have been part of the 2011 production run mentioned here. The armour was replaced in 2018 due to chunks of it falling off. I have just sent the back to Swarovski to get the armour replaced again for the same reason. Hence in my experience the armour lasts about six years with almost daily use and there is no obvious difference in quality between the original, c. 2012, armour and the second set fitted in 2018. I'll be interested to see how the next set of armour lasts.

Is there any proof for the claim that Swarovski is using "new, better armor" or is it just hearsay ? Very curious about this ...
Info is frm Swarovski HQ in Austria. Someone has alr gotten their armour replaced and was informed its new material. Could be tt SONA is not aware of the ongoing R&D or not prepared to talk abt it.

We recently had some kind of field inventory where 40ish people showed up. Among the people present, 7 had an EL, 2 a NL Pure. Of the 7 ELs present, 5 were either partially covered in tape (which I assume the owners didn't apply out of cosmetic reasons) or had visible defects of the armor. The 2 NLs were without fault but also looked very very new.
While I didn't interview the owners about lenght of use, DEET containing substance abuse or other variables, we spent ample time on a ferry to do some damage assessment.

The 52 NLPure's have the new armoring.
From now on all new bins of every model will have the new armoring.
Comparing the touch of the 42 with the 52, I don't feel any difference.

The 52 has a hinge mount for the new tripod adapter, something alle new NL's will gonna have.
I would advice everybody, when they send in their NL for armoring issues, to have the hinge mounting system of the 52 to be placed on their 42/32.

Jan

The 52 has a hinge mount for the new tripod adapter, something alle new NL's will gonna have.
I would advice everybody, when they send in their NL for armoring issues, to have the hinge mounting system of the 52 to be placed on their 42/32.

Jan
But how do we, the consumers, know whether or not we are getting a pair of binoculars with new or old formula armour?? Does it state on the box the 52 NL Pures come in that it is now with "new and improved armour"? If what you say is true that all new binocs will now have new armouring, then I would not want to buy one with substandard armouring when there will be newer and better armoured instruments available. I would want the improved armour. Maybe Swarovski can sell off the ones with bad armour at a discounted price, but make the customer aware that they are buying a model with older armour? Or sell them with a roll of "Swarovski-green"-coloured duct tape?
SW

Jan
I was wondering if the hinge mounting system could be retro-mounted to my NL12. I don't need new armor, but, I'd take it if it came with a new hinge mount.

But how do we, the consumers, know whether or not we are getting a pair of binoculars with new or old formula armour?? Does it state on the box the 52 NL Pures come in that it is now with "new and improved armour"? If what you say is true that all new binocs will now have new armouring, then I would not want to buy one with substandard armouring when there will be newer and better armoured instruments available. I would want the improved armour. Maybe Swarovski can sell off the ones with bad armour at a discounted price, but make the customer aware that they are buying a model with older armour? Or sell them with a roll of "Swarovski-green"-coloured duct tape?
SW
You don’t know until it becomes official.

OK, don't kill the messenger......

All models will have the new armoring and all models that comes in for any issue will get a new armoring free of charge.
So, some people want 'the old armoring models' with a huge discount, and then send it in for armor replacement...... Sigh...... and keep complaining about the armoring......
When does a brand do the right thing for all people??

And Yes, just send in your 42NL for a hinge replacement (include the bill from the tripod adapter) and you get both the armor and hinge replacement for free.

When Swaro will no longer sell their binoculars together with soap, then we will know that the binoculars have new resistant formula armor. :ROFLMAO:

Until then we must wash our hands before using Swaro binoculars and we also wash the binoculars after each use... :ROFLMAO:

When Swaro will no longer sell their binoculars together with soap, then we will know that the binoculars have new resistant formula armor. :ROFLMAO:

Until then we must wash our hands before using Swaro binoculars and we also wash the binoculars after each use... :ROFLMAO:
Cleaning up a bin after a long day birding isn't such a bad idea... Keeps the expensive equipment in great shape... A little maintenance doesn't require a lot of time and does not have to include a soap wash everytime.

All models will have the new armoring and all models that comes in for any issue will get a new armoring free of charge.
So, some people want 'the old armoring models' with a huge discount, and then send it in for armor replacement...... Sigh...... and keep complaining about the armoring......
When does a brand do the right thing for all people??

Is there any official comment from Swarovski on the use of new armouring? The deafening silence that has characterised the company's response to the armour problem over the last year or so has been remarkable - maybe I have missed it, but all the 'news' seems to come from snippets here and there from personal communications between clients and the companies or dealers. It hardly inspires confidence.

Likewise with the reported new armour - is there an official press release to this effect or again are we relying on bits here and there from personal communication with the company or from certain dealers (while others claim to know nothing about it)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back