• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Problem with green coating of EL SV 8x32 (6 Viewers)

Their reputation is fine, only not by some on this forum. But I guess that's a very small number of customers....
They won't sell an bino less.

That's blatantly not true. On just this little thread, several posters have eluded to not buying Swarovski under current circumstances. Sure, Birdforum probably accounts for a small proportion of total customers, but the birding world is a fairly tight circle - damage to reputation travels. They will sell less, perhaps not enough at present to make then care unduly, but if they don't fix the issue, it will catch up with them.

When little separates the top three optics, I would imagine increasing numbers will take the view that it is not worth spending thousands of euros/dollars, etc, on a product that can't hack a couple of years of normal field use.

... My bins are less than five years old. I am a birder. I use them daily which is what they are for! I clean them regularly, not with harsh chemicals but with mild soapy water on the barrels and eyeglass cleaner on the lenses. They have not been subjected to any kind of abuse. I've been birding for more than 25 years, had three pairs of bins. I was delighted when I could finally afford my EL 8X32s; I thought they were perfect. Excellent optics and perfect for me ergonomically so I am really really disappointed that the armour has gone. As said upthread, I have sent them for repair, not servicing but repair.
Well said -- all of it. It casts things in perspective. Most anyone would feel greatly disappointed given the same plight. BTW: A reminder to some: Empathy is not a four-letter word.

you shouldn't hide behind any eventualities.. there lies the problem.
Not really, as long as points 2 and 3 apply...

1. The material has been changed due to new regulations to be more environmentally friendly

2. The material can degrade with exposure to "sweat, heat, and moisture"

3, They are working on a solution to solve this issue.
...Swarovski has admitted that there are difficulties with the rubber coating!

The mere mention of moisture is already questionable, what does that mean for binoculars that can actually be used in rainy weather, do I have to worry that the rubber coating can dissolve and is that my own fault?

Of course, we all don't know how big the problem really is, but Swarovski's statements alone indicate that there is a latent problem here and if Swarovski doesn't take care of it in the medium term, it could also result in considerable damage to the company's reputation.

Says someone who has five Swarovski and is not yet affected.

Andreas

are there any manufacturers that warranty wear and tear,i don't think so

Leica does…

On just this little thread, several posters have eluded to not buying Swarovski under current circumstances.
If so, is something wrong (illegal, immoral)?
This is the efect: "by word of mouth".

Or, maybe, when people applaud in 10 threads is right and when some photos are published in this tread is not right?

'like for instance for leather.'... 🤔
So what does that mean exactly ?
Cleaning, with water and soap, ok... but 'treatment like for leather' ??... what with ??!....
Well treatment like for leather means NO water what so ever. Leather and water do not get along. Which isn't the case since Swarovski recommends rinsing them if necessary.
Besides that important point, to moisture leather the best recommendation is to use soft hand creams alike, non alcohol based. If you keep leather moist, it won't dry up and won't crack.

I do not know If I will apply hand cream to my ELs

I do not know If I will apply hand cream to my ELs
Yes, I seriously ask this question, because according to @PeterPS, these words are literally from Swarovski, and they really have a knack once again to cause confusion !!!
Regarding the thread, obviously we all want to take great care of this coating... and so far the recommendation was with this soap and brush provided.
But for God's sake, why now add these confusing words: ' you apply a good cleaning and treatment, like for instance for leather.' ??!!!!
Why tell us about leather treatment ???... It would be necessary now, after soap and water, to bring something else, as you say, like some cream for example ??? :unsure:
They really are champions at causing confusion with their damn coating !!

. . . And in contrast, back from ye olden times of Swarovski RA, an article from the Swarovski site in 2015:
'Laser guide still working after 550 days out in the wild'

"John Legnard lost his Swarovski Optik laser guide and found it 550 days later. Just after picking it up the laser guide ranged to 453 yards across the ridge:

'Back in October of 2013 I lost my Swarosvki Optik laser guide at about 10,000 feet in the mountains around Parshall CO. I had a pretty good idea where since I remembered sitting on a rock overlooking a pond small meadow and aspen groove once I returned to camp that night. However it was now snowing and finding it before spring seemed unlikely.

I hiked in there in July of 2014 and the grass was way too high so no luck. I returned again during 2014 but again the ground was covered with snow. I was up at the area this weekend and said I wondered if the grass hasn't grown yet and the snow is almost gone if I should look again. My buddy Conway, my brother and I set out. I located the rock and Conway and I kicked up a few leaves and sticks.

All of sudden Conway says 'hey look at this' and when I looked at his feet my lost rangefinder! We picked it up and of course ranged the far ridge 453 yards. Even after more than 550 days exposed to highs of 90 and lows of -20, wind, snow, rain and apparently some hungry rodents it still worked! I haven't cleaned it off yet I just snapped some pics.' ”

550 days later.jpg

John

Last edited:
. . . And in contrast, back from ye olden times of Swarovski RA, an article from the Swarovski site back in 2015:
'Laser guide still working after 550 days out in the wild'

"John Legnard lost his Swarovski Optik laser guide and found it 550 days later. Just after picking it up the laser guide ranged to 453 yards across the ridge:

'Back in October of 2013 I lost my Swarosvki Optik laser guide at about 10,000 feet in the mountains around Parshall CO. I had a pretty good idea where since I remembered sitting on a rock overlooking a pond small meadow and aspen groove once I returned to camp that night. However it was now snowing and finding it before spring seemed unlikely.

I hiked in there in July of 2014 and the grass was way too high so no luck. I returned again during 2014 but again the ground was covered with snow. I was up at the area this weekend and said I wondered if the grass hasn't grown yet and the snow is almost gone if I should look again. My buddy Conway, my brother and I set out. I located the rock and Conway and I kicked up a few leaves and sticks.

All of sudden Conway says 'hey look at this' and when I looked at his feet my lost rangefinder! We picked it up and of course ranged the far ridge 453 yards. Even after more than 550 days exposed to highs of 90 and lows of -20, wind, snow, rain and apparently some hungry rodents it still worked! I haven't cleaned it off yet I just snapped some pics.' ”

View attachment 1519808

John
Armour still appears in better shape than some examples of the disintegration issue 🤣

Not really, as long as points 2 and 3 apply...

...Swarovski has admitted that there are difficulties with the rubber coating!

The mere mention of moisture is already questionable, what does that mean for binoculars that can actually be used in rainy weather, do I have to worry that the rubber coating can dissolve and is that my own fault?

Of course, we all don't know how big the problem really is, but Swarovski's statements alone indicate that there is a latent problem here and if Swarovski doesn't take care of it in the medium term, it could also result in considerable damage to the company's reputation.

Says someone who has five Swarovski and is not yet affected.

Andreas
Some people just refuse to comprehend the situation and perhaps have their own agenda.

Perhaps Swarovski has some quant data from all the past repairs handled + photos of advanced disintegration for users that have elected to live with the issue. Hence they are working on a solution now.

If there was no problem, then how can there be a solution? But it seems some people just want to insist on the narrative that there's no problem. Bringing in false arguments about statistics, photo evidence, to suppress repeated anecdotal accounts.

Solution to that problem - ignore function!

That's blatantly not true. On just this little thread, several posters have eluded to not buying Swarovski under current circumstances. Sure, Birdforum probably accounts for a small proportion of total customers, but the birding world is a fairly tight circle - damage to reputation travels. They will sell less, perhaps not enough at present to make then care unduly, but if they don't fix the issue, it will catch up with them.

When little separates the top three optics, I would imagine increasing numbers will take the view that it is not worth spending thousands of euros/dollars, etc, on a product that can't hack a couple of years of normal field use.
Back in mid 2020, I decided on the EL even when I read of some accounts here of the armour issue, thinking that perhaps it's a rare issue. After buying into the product/brand, started to notice this issue being quite prevalent locally.

Would I still make the same choice today? Not sure, the rest of the binos are superb (like what joannec said) so I don't regret it. But I hope the additional info in these threads can help others make a more informed decision, whatever their choice in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back